UK Railway Set (UKRS2) Extended graphics contributions

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: PJ1K Addon Graphics

Post by Ameecher »

planetmaker wrote:
Singaporekid wrote:Here is a sneak preview of some locos which aren't going to be in the addon set.
Emphasis mine. We may hope that the typo gremlin took over there? :-)
I dunno, a lot of those look like highly implausible trains!
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Ameecher wrote: I dunno, a lot of those look like highly implausible trains!
First, sorry to me for editing the image.
Second, AFAIK, some of them were built in reality, or at least plans were made.
1. loco not seems to be so impossible, it just combine the electric loco with the steam. The tender could have electrical powered axes, then if the train come under catenary, the steam loco can stop heating and the electric power move the train.
2. and 3. locos are '"simple" dual headed, I think it's possible, but I don't find a reason of why, but it could an interesting vehicle in the fleet.
4. loco is a single engined Deltic, AFAIK it's built in reality, but I don't know any other about it.
5. loco is a triple engined Deltic, plans were made, maybe it was built...
6. Is it a steam-diesel hybrid? Or just a steam loc which had an accident and neew a new cab, and rebuilt with a Deltic(?) cab. Not seems too impossible...
7. AFAIK there are/were some "two boiler and one cab" locos in India, so it's possibly built.
8. Garratt steam engine, not so popular in Europe, but is it in Australia and Africa.
9. A simple steam loco with the tender on the wrong side.
10-11. I like the idea of an early "pre-HST" dual headed loco, it could be in the addon set because it could be so useful...
12. Streamlined last wagon, there were some of them in the USA. Or is it a driving carriage for the loco?
Attachments
calculus2x.PNG
calculus2x.PNG (6.58 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Junafani
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Junafani »

colossal404 wrote: 1. loco not seems to be so impossible, it just combine the electric loco with the steam. The tender could have electrical powered axes, then if the train come under catenary, the steam loco can stop heating and the electric power move the train.
Or maybe it is electric-steam locomotive? That would be awesome. BR JB has more power when in 3rd rail track, so maybe electric-steam locomotive would had 50% running costs when in electrified track?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

number 12 in the picture above has a streamlined last car because its a articulated coach thats already in the main set.

I have to admit that dual headed locomotives like the above would be cool
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Well you have us all hooked now, great trains, if I had to pick some to go in the set; 1, 4, 7 and 12 would be suiting imo, and they look great too :D

(oh and possibly 2)

Also I've deiced to stick with my larger diagonal n15 tender( for the record).
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

While they look good, I don't think they really work as part of the UKRS, even as an add-on. I was under the impression the add-on set was to complement Pikka's more condensed set to add a little more variety, fill in gaps where British rail was lacking and extend the set forward and backwards?
Jon
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The only one of those that vaguely has a place is #7, ffestiniog springs to mind but hardly representative of the UK.
Simozzz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Simozzz »

About #7. There was one like it in Russian Empire. Most of them were build in UK, so I think they could be used there too.
Sorry for my bad English.
mallardtheduck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mallardtheduck »

Locomotives with the same concept as 4 were built, as the BR Class 23 "Baby Deltic". It had a turbocharged variant of the Deltic engine and it was suggested that two of these be used in a "Super Deltic".

However, your "Small Deltic" looks more similar to the 4-8-4 "Fell Locomotive" no. 10100, although with an apparent 2-6-2 configuration. Your "Triple Deltic" has a Co-Co-Co-Co wheel arrangement, which is highly unlikely.

While I think you intended 10/11 to be a steam train with Southern Railway Bullied-style streamlining, I think it looks somewhat similar to the BR Class 251/261 "Blue Pullman" diesel sets which were in some ways the precursor to the HST. On an aside, I always thought it would be interesting to have a "Steam HST", although I imagined it with an LNER A4 Pacific at each end.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

I've decided to do a little more drawing.... :|

Again not sure on this one, comments and feedback on this would be much appreciated:

I present the class 70 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Ra ... 8diesel%29)
Attachments
class70.png
class70.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Hi,
Any chance you could do the following trains
Classes 142,170,319,350,444 and the Hastings DEMU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_201
and yes i know there all units but all the good locos are done
Oh and the class 70 looks well good
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Thanks, nice suggestions, most of the older MU's there would probably already be covered by the Meto Cammell and some are already planned for the main set, but good suggestions with the desiro units. I had actually been considering a desiro, but I'm not sure weather they would be worth inclusion being similar to other trains already planned. I'll hold back on that one for now, it would please me very much if someone else would draw it :lol:
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

planetmaker wrote:Emphasis mine. We may hope that the typo gremlin took over there? :-)
Unfortunately it wasn't a typo :P, some of these loco designs are ridiculous anyway
However I did draw some actual addon locos, the ones here are just some of them which I mirrored or put together for fun and confusion.
Ameecher wrote:I dunno, a lot of those look like highly implausible trains!
Yes.
colossal404 wrote:First, sorry to me for editing the image.
Second, AFAIK, some of them were built in reality, or at least plans were made.
-
8. Garratt steam engine, not so popular in Europe, but is it in Australia and Africa.
9. A simple steam loco with the tender on the wrong side.
-
12. Streamlined last wagon, there were some of them in the USA. Or is it a driving carriage for the loco?
8. This one used to be a normal garratt, but I decided it looked too normal at first so I placed smoke deflectors on it wherever possible.

9. Actually, this one is a cabforward locomotive which I based on the Italian Gr670 4-6-0, if you look closely you'll see that it has a cab with some nice windows. You might also ask "how does coal get in firebox?", and so I would tell you that this locomotive would be oil-fired with fuel and water being pumped from the tender to the locomotive through a pipe which I didn't really draw.

12. The streamlined last wagon is indeed already part of the main set, but I did intend for it to also be used as a driving carriage with the streamlined tank loco.
Junafani wrote:Or maybe it is electric-steam locomotive? That would be awesome. BR JB has more power when in 3rd rail track, so maybe electric-steam locomotive would had 50% running costs when in electrified track?
I always liked that electric-fired E 3/3.
Yes, this locomotive is indeed an electric-steam locomotive. However, instead of simply being dual-power, this one is intended to be a triple-power locomotive with the tender being able to pick up power from both overhead caternary and third rail.
The steam loco is based on the Lickey Banker 0-10-0 and the tender is really just DanMacK's EF1 shaped more like one and with a third rail bogie on it.
Partially because it would be more flexible/needlessly complicated, but also so that dual-power rails would actually be buildable after this loco's introduction (Probably around 1914.) since they currently aren't buildable even if both caternary and third rail are available.
mallardtheduck wrote:Locomotives with the same concept as 4 were built, as the BR Class 23 "Baby Deltic". It had a turbocharged variant of the Deltic engine and it was suggested that two of these be used in a "Super Deltic".

However, your "Small Deltic" looks more similar to the 4-8-4 "Fell Locomotive" no. 10100, although with an apparent 2-6-2 configuration. Your "Triple Deltic" has a Co-Co-Co-Co wheel arrangement, which is highly unlikely.

While I think you intended 10/11 to be a steam train with Southern Railway Bullied-style streamlining, I think it looks somewhat similar to the BR Class 251/261 "Blue Pullman" diesel sets which were in some ways the precursor to the HST. On an aside, I always thought it would be interesting to have a "Steam HST", although I imagined it with an LNER A4 Pacific at each end.
This is a very insightful post.
I put together 4 after reading this post's request for a Class 14, I did actually draw a Baby Deltic but just shortened it to Class 14 size and pasted 2-6-2 steam tank locomotive driving wheels on it to make it look a bit like one.

Likewise, 5 is also a Baby Deltic but "slightly" elongated. Considering how many 14-tile polybulk hopper coal trains with dualheaded deltics I used to see in UKRS multiplayer games, I assumed that a "ÜberDeltic" like this one would have some sort of demand.

I had never heard of the BR Class 251/261 diesel sets prior to reading your post, but they do indeed look similar to locos 10 and 11.

Locomotive 12 is a 4-6-4 streamlined tank loco which I wanted to draw after reading about the DRG Class 61 and Class 60 streamlined locos (Or Stromlinienlok).*
Once again they looked too normal on their own so I doubleheaded them and added a mail compartment to make them more HST-like, there was indeed a "Steam HST" with A4s at each end at the bottom right of the Pacific spritesheets on the PikkaWiki anyway.

* I would like to read more about those locos, but any further discussion about them should be probably in a seperate thread.
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Singaporekid wrote:However I did draw some actual addon locos
Forgive me for asking, what have you drawn? :)
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

Entirely unforgivable, take this instead.
Attachments
Wanna play a little game?
Wanna play a little game?
vegas.PNG (2.06 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I have an idea: What about the hydraulic diesels? Liek the "Western" and the "Warship" They may be ugly to some, but they look awesome and unique. :wink:
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Lawdy Lawdy...

The first version of the Add-on set is now on Bananananas. This grf includes the following locomotives:

0-6-0 Hunslet by lawton27,
BREL Class 313 by mallardtheduck,
EE GT3 by Scuddles,
NE EF1, NE EE1 and GWR Railmotor by DanMacK.

http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... Add-on_Set

There's more to come, Jim. Hopefully the next version will include everything submitted so far!
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

So great that I will have more possibilities for my UKRS2 game!
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

PikkaBird wrote:Lawdy Lawdy...

The first version of the Add-on set is now on Bananananas. This grf includes the following locomotives:

0-6-0 Hunslet by lawton27,
BREL Class 313 by mallardtheduck,
EE GT3 by Scuddles,
NE EF1, NE EE1 and GWR Railmotor by DanMacK.

http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... Add-on_Set

There's more to come, Jim. Hopefully the next version will include everything submitted so far!
Could you be so kind as to upload the .grf here? The internet on my comp is down so I can't use the in-game content download thing. If its here, I can download it to my Dad's comp and put it on a USB Drive.

Thankyou please.
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

SamMacca wrote: Could you be so kind as to upload the .grf here? The internet on my comp is down so I can't use the in-game content download thing. If its here, I can download it to my Dad's comp and put it on a USB Drive.

Thankyou please.
OFF:
Download with in-game downloader, search for it on C drive (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Dokumentumok\OpenTTD\), put it on an USB drive, and you are done with it :)
ON

Return to “Graphics Development”