Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Go for it, but just remember, if you can draw the station so that it's one recognisable element that can be mixed with a set of other platforms, say, Sanchimaru's existing Japanese stations, then it'll be a lot more flexible for the player, and a hell of a lot easier to code ;).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Aegir wrote:Go for it, but just remember, if you can draw the station so that it's one recognisable element that can be mixed with a set of other platforms, say, Sanchimaru's existing Japanese stations, then it'll be a lot more flexible for the player, and a hell of a lot easier to code ;).
Of course, but methinks the station will be approx. 2x10 tiles... It's a quite large station you know...

Maybe I can try to make a smaller station like Nara, JR Nikko and Tobu Nikko. Stations are shown in respective order below:

Nara

JR Nikko

Tobu Nikko
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

<bump>
Anybody home? :P
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

ah yes, yes, by the way!

While I was on vacation gl2 sent me the new version of the trains GRF:

and we have Death working on the stations and Aegir on the Scenery

my next aim is to make an improved version of trees and maybe add some more houses.
I also wanted to work on some new trains, but I have to find the information and specs for them first.
Attachments
jpsetw.grf
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 3808 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Now that's great news! Is this one perhaps ready for an official public release? But I suppose we need the DOS version of it before we can announce it, is there any way to get that?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Darn, no Kiraras in that GRF.
Oh wells....
To everyone here, I haven't had a chance to touch GRF coding on the Trams due to hideously broken limbs as of late...
So, anyone is welcome to hack the GRFs I posted here, or leave me to work on them when I can sit in front of a computer for longer periods of time. :evil:
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

stevenh, I just visited your site! :shock:
I hope you get well soon and that you can fully recover that arm.

About the DOS version, I'll ask gl2, that should be easy.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

How's the scenery coding coming?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Drew and coded support for Maglev tracks in the jpset landscape. Has no effect on Shinkansen if the jpset trains are added after the landscape in the newgrf config. If I could move the shinkansen tracks into the landscape .grf rather than it sitting in the vehicles .grf, I could make it parameter controlled.

Why did I do this? Well, I got sick to death of the temperate ttd grass in my UKRS game. You can figure the rest out :)

I'm also doing all sorts of minor tweaks to the jpset buildings .grf. I'll make releases at about the same time I make releases for all sorts of other projects of mine, about when GRFMaker supports callback 143, and I then get off my lazy arse and polish my projects off.

But for now here's a screeny of the work:
Attachments
maglev.png
maglev.png (30.29 KiB) Viewed 32084 times

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Personally I find the maglev tracks to be very ugly and I don't use them, but I know others like them. I'm not sure where the Shinkansen tracks logically belong; they were in the trains GRF at first because originally that's all there was, but now that we have a Japanese-landscape GRF, I suppose it might make sense to move them there. Does anybody else have an opinion?
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I think they work well in the train GRF, seeing that only the JPSet uses the Shinkansen tracks. The CanSet does exactly the same with the narrow gauge tracks - though those too exist as their own .grf. However, I thought that Sanchi's high-speed rails were supposed to be used as shinkansen tracks. All in all, it's quite confusing and does need simplification. I say keep it in the JPSet .grf.

By the way, where is Sanchi?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Sanchimaru has been doing some travelling, I believe.

Concerning the two styles of Shinkansen tracks, I thought the consensus was to include both of them, and allow a parameter-based selection. So actually, we could just include the maglev-style tracks, and support three choices - nothing wrong with offering options! But whoever is doing this, needs to make sure to code it so that BOTH the monorail and maglev tracks are replaced - I mean, so it'll work regardless of how the player has the maglev/monorail switch set.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I think either the landscape grf, or there own grf, maybe a grf containing all the dirrerent type of tracks there are. :P
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Yah huh... I have been entirely slack lately... I've found that I can draw with one hand though...
I think I need some darker wood textures (pixelling was never my thing) but I've always wanted the quieter-suburban-mountain-rural stations...
WIP.
Attachments
Too much pine?
Too much pine?
japrural.png (27.61 KiB) Viewed 31771 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't know what those look like in real life, having not been to rural Japan recently, but they do look sharp. Glad to hear you're feeling able to draw again!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Any news?

Well, I've got a little, two bugs in the trains GRF I haven't seen reported.

(1) The heavyweight mega-freight car's capacity is 150 crates of goods, but in the New Trains menu, it says 75.

(2) The Shinkansen engine loads and unloads its 30 passengers instantaneously, unlike other passenger carriers that load and unload five at a time.

Anything else going?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

about where the tracks should i go, now that i think about it, they belong with the trains as the user will have to dl an extra file to get them which in turn makes it harder for a begginer.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Death
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Death »

krtaylor wrote:Any news?
Sure!
Check the Japanese stations' file out:
Attachments
jpstats.zip
Japanese Stations v1.0 (DOS)
(76.57 KiB) Downloaded 1206 times
jpstatsw.zip
Japanese Stations v1.0 (windows)
(76.57 KiB) Downloaded 5340 times
Last edited by Death on 12 Apr 2007 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Death wrote:
krtaylor wrote:Any news?
Sure!
Check the Japanese stations' file out:
Wow! Those are quite nice! I was worried that you weren't going to do a very good job on them (Call it residual angst from having the station set stolen from under me :lol:), but I really like how they've turned out! Well done!

Death
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Death »

Thanks, even I didn't think that I will succeed.

Return to “Graphics Development”