Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Death wrote:Thanks, even I didn't think that I will succeed.
Well I think we can all say now that you're an accomplished station coder, the Japanese stations turned out fantastic :).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Death
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Death »

Thanks.
By the way, I made a screenshot for those guys who afraid of downloading... :wink:
Attachments
Sc1.png
Sc1.png (70.99 KiB) Viewed 6714 times
Darkwalker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Darkwalker »

Very nice, I've downloaded it very fast and I'm making stations like this too ;)

Very good work
== Darkwalker == Tycoonez.com:munity == Czech republic ==

My clipboard, where you can find my graphics.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

They sure did come out well!

OK, let's see, what's left?

- Trams. Any news on the complete set?
- Buildings. Was there going to be one more full recode?
- Trains. I haven't seen any bug reports, are they ready to go? But I think there are some newly-drawn trains that didn't make the last pass.
- Scenery. There was some talk of redrawing the trees, but they're not bad as they are.
- Farms. That's a really glaring thing in Japanese games - everything else looks Japanese, but not the farms. I'm still hoping for some rice paddies...

Anybody notice anything else that really sticks out as bad?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

No more re-codes (Barring any disaster) on the buildings, I'm still working on those.

Trains, I think I noticed something odd in the running or purchase costs somewhere, I cannot remember. However I do have a couple of suggestions that I think need to be taken on board for the train set to be able to stand on its own two feet next to the other big polished sets. First, the little description text in the purchase list, because I sure as hell don't know what all of those locomotives were typically used for. The other, is general tidying up of the purchase list. We've got locomotives all over the place, one bunch sitting at the top, then some wagons, followed by more trains. Not very neat.

Scenery, yes, there is/was talk of redrawing the trees. They lack a lot of depth. I'm still plodding allong coding and drawing and hacking things up for that. But I must stress, I really, _really_ need to put the shinkansen tracks into the scenery .grf, it's making it an absolute pain in the arse to plan around the bridges, and it's going to make it an even bigger pain to code it.

Farms, yes, there was some new rice paddies drawn, nice terraces and such, they're most likely pushed asside for a moment while artists and coders work on other bits and pieces. Japanset saw a lot of work recently, looks like it's getting pushed aside again in favor of other projects :lol:.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, what we need is Sanchimaru back, and I think stevenh as well.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'm re-doing the bridges for the Japanset landscape based on ns_37's, which are mostly TTD style (The ones we're already using), but greatly enhanced in a lot of areas. Mostly for the train bridges, which have much better looking decking on them. The lights were for the road bridges, but it appears as if the road and rail arch bridges both share the same sprites used as an overlay on the bridge surface. I don't really like how they turned out, I'll probably remove them.

I've made a mockup here showing off the bridge heads that I've drawn up myself, I've completed the sprite-sheets for the bridge heads, and the majority of the artwork for the update to the bridges is complete, I'm doing some tidying up in assorted places, and I have a few more bridgeheads (The ramps, which I'm drawing in a similar style) left to finish off.

This is why I want to put the shinkansen tracks into the landscape .grf, it is an absolute nightmare to try and implement bridges with the track and bridge graphics spread accross multiple files between multiple authors, I cannot do a 'quick' alteration and test in game like this. Not only that, trying to setup parameters to control things is a nightmare aswell.

Oh, and I can in a matter of five minutes allow shinkansen to have catenary wires in games played in the 2.6 nightlies/alphas. I can do that regardless of having the shinkansen track graphics in my file, so don't treat it like I'm blackmailing you in that regard :lol:.

I'm not ruling out blackmail though if I don't get my way :twisted:.

Anyways, mockup:

Edit: Reworded a few things, fixed a few typos.
Attachments
bridges.png
bridges.png (29.74 KiB) Viewed 6493 times

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Looks great, except, is it possible to make the side walls of the tunnel portal an extra pixel (or even two) taller? This would help with the forced perspective; right now the tunnels look too short. Maybe some way to make the portals curved (as many in Japan actually are), so you can't really figure out how tall they are and it looks OK?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'm personally not touching the tunnels, I think they're fine as-is, and I'm only going to mangle it by trying to change how the ilusion works. When Sanchimaru gets back he might decide to look into it, but for now I think it's fine.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Bit of a bump here, got the bridges completly coded and in game, heres another screeny showing a train rattling over the suspension bridge.

I'm going to work on maglev/monorail/shinkansen support for the landscape .grf in a bit, I've got (Or should) have the latest copy of the shinkansen tracks from Sanchimaru, I'll start working on getting those in-game.
Attachments
bridges2.png
bridges2.png (29.95 KiB) Viewed 6380 times

BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Aegir, that looks damn good. Keep up the good work, guys.
Formerly known as Lachie
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Are you planning on coding in both versions of the Shinkansen tracks, or just one?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

krtaylor wrote:Are you planning on coding in both versions of the Shinkansen tracks, or just one?
Don't know. Both if time permits...

Edit: While I was working on the bridges I decided to try and fix the Cantilever bridges pylons, it has some clipping issues occasionally, but overall I think it looks better than the buggy drawing it had before.
Attachments
bridgefix.png
bridgefix.png (49.67 KiB) Viewed 6229 times

The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

I'm impressed. Also with the bridgeheads.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Those came out really well!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Especially those bridgeheads are cool :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

From now on, no more criticism over Sanchimaru's updated shinkansen tracks. They look fricking awesome in-game.

Oh, see if you can spot something else about the picture.

Hint, catenary on third rail *grin*.
Attachments
nomorecriticism.png
nomorecriticism.png (17.43 KiB) Viewed 5933 times

Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

This set is a greate set, and the fine tuning makes it better every release (update) a small point to ajust can be seen in the screenie..
Attachments
sc1_135.png
sc1_135.png (244.13 KiB) Viewed 5917 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

that is how the Japanese make their railway crossings. Thats ment to be a metal plate.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Yeap, they're based off a photo Sanchimaru himself took in Japan, japanese rail crossings tend to have metal mesh/plate-work about the rails. If you search back in the thread (A good fifty or one hundred pages back) you'll find the image that the crossing is based off, which clearly shows the plating.

Return to “Graphics Development”