Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Wil this set owerwrite a climate, or is it just new stuff for the existant one(s)
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

ít'll overwrite a climate :P
Dinges

Who is the other person in me?

my Blog (dutch) - my Last.fm profile

Owner of http://ttdgraphics.cjb.net/ ! Temp addr: http://ttdgraphics.owenrudge.com/
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

witch? (Hoping for snowey)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I still have my site with all the research, I just took it off my sig since nothing was happening. I can put it back up if the project restarts. I'd LOVE to see it done, and I can help with research, testing, etc. BUT I cannot draw.

I agree, the Temperate would be the most logical climate to "overwrite." But, I think there would want to be a lot of differences graphically - we would need new trees and buildings.

I think where the East Asia project really died was, when we couldn't mess around with the industry vectors. More is known now about how this works, and so with the assistance of the Patch crew, maybe it could be done. Perhaps we should research this first before we invest tons of time into the whole project.

However, I agree with some of the other posts - Dinges, you already have several half-finished projects, maybe it would be good to finish those first. For instance, I REALLY want to see a proper planes set. Actually I want this more than the East Asia project, first because there is less work to it (most of the planes can be recycled) and second because it can be used everywhere as all environments use the same planes, 'cause that's the way it is in the real world. More impact for less work.

If you worked only on the planeset how long would you take to release a first version? The first version really doesn't even need many (if any) graphics drawn, you can use the existing graphics, just give the planes their right names and statistics. Then you can redraw them one at a time as you have time if you like.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Dinges wrote:That won't be a problem, you can get any stuff people can get. So I can couynt you in for RV's. bice :P
Yes, you can

And what about road set v2?
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

krtaylor wrote:I still have my site with all the research, I just took it off my sig since nothing was happening. I can put it back up if the project restarts. I'd LOVE to see it done, and I can help with research, testing, etc. BUT I cannot draw.
I know
I agree, the Temperate would be the most logical climate to "overwrite." But, I think there would want to be a lot of differences graphically - we would need new trees and buildings.
Offcourse we do :!:
I think where the East Asia project really died was, when we couldn't mess around with the industry vectors. More is known now about how this works, and so with the assistance of the Patch crew, maybe it could be done. Perhaps we should research this first before we invest tons of time into the whole project.
This wasn't the real reason why it died, actualy it was becouse off lack off people that could draw. It's a enourmous job for one person. I'm now trying to get on track, but first there need to be drawers.
However, I agree with some of the other posts - Dinges, you already have several half-finished projects, maybe it would be good to finish those first. For instance, I REALLY want to see a proper planes set. Actually I want this more than the East Asia project, first because there is less work to it (most of the planes can be recycled) and second because it can be used everywhere as all environments use the same planes, 'cause that's the way it is in the real world. More impact for less work.
I know, it hope to get it done by christmas.
If you worked only on the planeset how long would you take to release a first version? The first version really doesn't even need many (if any) graphics drawn, you can use the existing graphics, just give the planes their right names and statistics. Then you can redraw them one at a time as you have time if you like.
No :roll: Simply becouse I mostly have done graphics and I still need to do most statistics. I think there will be a pre-release some day, but not now :?
Dinges

Owner of http://ttdgraphics.cjb.net/ ! Temp addr: http://ttdgraphics.owenrudge.com/
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Ah. Well, much as I would like to see the East Asia project, I humbly request that you finish the planeset first, at least a first version.

And you say you are missing most statistics? I thought I did a ton of research for you? What statistics are you missing and I will get them for you forthwith. Pre-release version next week... :o
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

hehe, I do not miss statistics :P But I have not put them in the file yet, mostly I simply copy the NFO from a previous file and start editing those (or from trg1.grf). That's why I need to do the statistics 8)
Dinges

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

So it takes so very long simply to input the statistics? Aren't they text files? Maybe there is a way to have a batch file transfer them automatically?
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

Yeah, that is needed :!:, just imput a form and it'll create a action 0.
Dinges

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Why don't you post that as a suggestion? I bet Shadow or Andrex or somebody could do it for you. It would be very useful.
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

One litle note: If you owerwrit the temprate, noone wil use it. Temprates the defenitly best theme, you should owerwrite snowland. Then i (And the othwersw) would uyse it. Toyland is alredy tooken, im certain i want mas more then asia...
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

It will be a GRF file!
You can turn it off when you want to play Temperate!
Just take it out of newgrf(w).cfg (or precede with #)!
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

Arctic, doesn't fit quite well, with the mountains and low lands, but it could be an option 8)
Dinges

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'd say, start with Temperate + MB's Alpine graphics. Just a thought.
Although, one of the things I wanted to do was to have a different look to the grass, slightly bluer.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

I want to draw Asian trains!!

Post by Sanchimaru »

Hello everybody!!

I've always liked to customize game stuff, and I love drawing a lot.
When I found TTD new graphics I was amazed.

Now I want to help with bringing in some graphics, and I'd like to begin with the Shinkansen and other japanese trains.
If anybody is still interested in this, please, let me know, for I'm wanting to see the Asian set working as soon as possible.

I think I can also work on other stuff besides trains (buildings, industries, etc.)

Waiting for reply:

Sanchimaru
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Wait no longer. Here's a reply: GREAT!

I think the original project was maybe a bit too ambitious, in that it wanted to replace Everything. Also, we wanted to re-vector the industries, and the Patch doesn't support that even yet.

It might be more reasonable to start with just a Japanese trainset, and then maybe grow it into something more if we have the resources to do so.

Here's my reference site:

http://www.as-st.com/ttd

There are two projects filed there, the East Asia project and the new American Transition project. The American one is going well, but it isn't intending to ever be more than a trainset, so hopefully it will be completed in the reasonably near future. Also half the trains are available already, or close.

My table of trains is not the Official List, I can change it at will. It just seemed like a good spread, functionally and visually.

Probably you know of more trains I've never seen, I haven't been to Japan in years. I do see new funky looking ones showing up in Tomy Plarail though. :lol:
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

OK!

Post by Sanchimaru »

Great, I visited the page. However, I can speak some japanese, so I won't find problem in searching for japanese pages with pics of the trains

By the way, don't miss an opportunity to see this one:
http://www.tfu.info/1987/Cybertron/Raiden/raiden.htm

So tell me what can I do for beginning. I thought of starting with the classic 200 series shinkansen, however, if there is another thing you want me to do, please, let me know anytime.

By the way, I worked with the team of the Transformers - Quake 2 Total conversion. I made some of the models skins.

You can take a look at it at http://www.telefragged.com/transformers/

So I'm ready to work, tell me what would you need first from me.

Sanchimaru
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

You can start on whichever one strikes your fancy. The Shinkansen would be a good place to start as they're famous, but personally I think some of the others have more character graphically.

One nice thing is that the Patch has developed somewhat since we tried to do this before. It used to be that TTD only supported locomotives, and cars. The locomotives had power; the cars had weight, and just got dragged. But you know that electric trains don't work that way, often all the wheels are powered.

The latest version of the Patch supports "contagious power." That is, if you add a locomotive of the right type (say, a Shinkansen) and then add otherwise ordinary passenger and mail cars to it, not only do the passenger and mail cars change in appearance to match the Shinkansen (matching-liveries), but also they replicate the power, just as if they were all engines (which in reality, they are). It makes the coding slightly more complicated, but doesn't affect the drawing.

If you look on this Forum you will see some how-tos and FAQs about how to create graphics. There are some tools you will need, which are free to download. The GRF file that is used by TTD is a funny format, but conversion programs have been developed; also, TTD uses some colors in odd ways, to signal transparency, random-color, or company-color. So you have to be careful with your pallette. But all that information is in the how-tos. Read those first.

I take it you are using the most recent Patch alpha, and the new GRF files?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I am very happy that East Asia will restart ... I was expecting much from it in the past
what are you looking at? it's a signature!

Return to “Graphics Development”