Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Japan Set Development

Post by ISA »

dandan wrote:Catenary: This will be fixed when the Japan Set finally supports railtypes. All I can say is: soon :P.

In the old system, the Shinkansen tracks replace monorail and OpenTTD does not support catenary over monorail. TTDPatch does, however.
(The screenshots used a custom patched version of OpenTTD. The patch is very simple and is probably still floating around in the development section. (Searching stevenh's posts might be the easiest way to find it). So if you feel adventurous...)

Bridges: At some point I changed the Shinkansen tracks from replacing maglev to replacing monorail. Along with that change, the bridges were also updated. You should make sure that you have the latest version of the TBRS for Japan Set. (The one on Bananas should do.)
Thanks for clearing it up!
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

stevenh wrote:
Toni Babelony wrote:...Please note that not all liveries represented here are included...
You're showing us trains we wont get to play with!? :evil:
Whoops, I meant that not all liveries are presented in the image. :P It was late and wanted to to post this just before hitting the sack.
NekoMaster wrote:Niiice work :D I can't wait to see TIAS in action in my games. Are they narrow gauge or standard guage?
I can't wait as well to complete a playable version to release (a complete Keisei oriented set). The trains will be standard gauge as a kind of addition to the Japan Set, since there aren't many standard gauge trains available, apart from three Hankyu trains and three Shinkansen that can operate on 'slow' standard gauge tracks. With the release of TIAS there will be eventually 117 extra standard gauge trains to play with. Speeds range from 70/50 km/h up to 170 km/h.

For the playable release I'll also need to make a more comprehensive guide for this set, since it will be somewhat different, and maybe more difficult, to use than other sets. Plus, the whole history and reason for this set as well. It'll be a long read I think. :]
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

dandan wrote:So if you feel adventurous...)
Here, but still not sure how to get work .diff files... Once I look into it a bit!
Bridges are now almost fine, most fastest one's still not show up correctly...
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (35.81 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

ISA wrote: Bridges are now almost fine, most fastest one's still not show up correctly...
If I remember correctly, this happens because the Total Bridge Renewal Set does not replace these two bridge types but uses default graphics. So you get the Shinkansen track bridge graphics from the Japanese train set instead, which are a bit outdated, as you can see.

This is all a bit of a mess and will be fixed with the introduction of rail types.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Will this set ever get the mini-shinkansens? I think they could be offered as a cheap solution for high speed but not as fast (130 - 200+ Kmh)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

NekoMaster wrote:Will this set ever get the mini-shinkansens? I think they could be offered as a cheap solution for high speed but not as fast (130 - 200+ Kmh)
In the future release, the 400, E3 and E6 Series Shinkansen will be included IIRC. These are however standard-gauge instead of the regular narrow gauge, so they'll need an individual right-of-way next to the narrow gauge trains. Narrow gauge trains do however top 160km/h as an alternative to the Mini-Shinkansen, plus standard gauge JR trains are planned in the future of the JapanSet to accompany the Mini-Shinkansen as well.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Hello!

I just downloaded the numerous japanese sets in order to play a japanese scenario. There is a lot of new features since the last time I checked (2 years ago I think). So first of all, I would like to congratulate all contributors for their work.

I just want to report a small bug concerning the Building Set (I hope this is the right place to post...) : I noticed that the restaurant building accepts <invalid cargo> in temperate climate, which should be Food but this cargo is not available in that climate. Everything works fine in arctic climate, of course.

I hope this will result useful.

Thank you for these wonderful sets!
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

arikover wrote: I just want to report a small bug concerning the Building Set (I hope this is the right place to post...) : I noticed that the restaurant building accepts <invalid cargo> in temperate climate, which should be Food but this cargo is not available in that climate. Everything works fine in arctic climate, of course.
Thanks for reporting. I was not aware of this problem, but by chance it turned out to be already fixed in my current development version. :wink:
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

I've been having a bit of a dig through this topic, and there are a few things I found that may be of interest:

Bridgeheads: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=532117#p532117
I don't know if Aegir left any sprites or if there's anything we can do with these, but I though they looked rather nice.

Rice fields: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=479093#p479093
Looks like Sanchimaru did some work on redrawing these, but I don't know if he got any further than this.

Torii gate: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=217834#p217834
I know a few of the existing buildings have torii gates, but this standalone version would make a good addition to the building set IMO.

Stations: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=521571#p521571, http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=224386#p224386, http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=474695#p474695
I don't know if any of this is usable; I've not seen Toni's building in the station set, and there may be other stuff here: http://www.as-st.com/ttd/eastasia/stations.html

Banks and electronics factory: http://www.as-st.com/ttd/eastasia/scenery.html
These don't appear to be used - is there a reason for this?

Random buildings: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=241341#p241341, http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=144604#p144604
These are already in the set, but I wasn't sure if the artists had been properly credited or not. I don't think Sanchimaru was happy with the scale of dummy's shrine though.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

On my older graphics: they aren't on par with what I can accomplish now, so I don't see why they should be included. The station building was a pre-example of the modern modular stations which will be included in the future stations release. The electronics factory was planned to be part of a Japanese industry set, but as of now there are no concrete plans to start work on such an industry replacement set, so it wouldn't be logical to include this building as well (plus, it's pretty ugly as well).

IMO, a standalone Torii wouldn't be too logical, since they are mostly used only in combination with other Shintoistic religious buildings (temples, shrines, etc.).

The rice fields however, look pretty awesome and would be a good replacement for what we have now (I usually don't use them all the time to be honest). What we have now is simply too bright. Problem is though, Sanchimaru is nowhere to be found on the forums any more, so he probably gave op on this. :?
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Toni Babelony wrote:IMO, a standalone Torii wouldn't be too logical, since they are mostly used only in combination with other Shintoistic religious buildings (temples, shrines, etc.)
Not quite the same thing, but there were some old discussions between Sanchimaru and krtaylor about having Torii in the landscape as a replacement for either the transmitter, the lighthouse or one of the trees, though this idea seems to have been rejected as none of those options are really practical. Would this also be illogical then?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Rice fields could be a FIRS-compatible industry add-on.

- replace Arable Farm with Rice Farm.
- replace Grain cargo with Rice.
- have Brewery accept Rice.
- make Grain Mill into a Rice Mill?

It's not exactly trivial to use a grf to modify stuff in another grf, but this idea is possible to code if someone wanted to figure it out.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

What about making a mini-industry set to compliment the default industries or other sets like FIRS or ECS. I think the default industies would be easiest to work with. Its also possible we could have a 2x2 building thats like a mini-factory in the building set to act as a stand in for the industry set
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

You cannot modify industries of another NewGRF, you can only modify default industries, or add completely new industries.
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

I am certainly interested in a Japanese industries set, possibly built on top of FIRS. But for the time being, my TODO list for the other parts of the Japan Set is still too long to start another project. Of course, if anyone else wants to get started on this, please go ahead.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Toni Babelony wrote:The rice fields however, look pretty awesome and would be a good replacement for what we have now (I usually don't use them all the time to be honest). What we have now is simply too bright. Problem is though, Sanchimaru is nowhere to be found on the forums any more, so he probably gave op on this. :?
I managed to get in touch with Sanchimaru. but unfortunately it seems that the image he posted of those rice fields is all there is.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I would think that Sanchimaru's rice-fields image could be used as a basis for developing a new, better version.

Re the torii, yes, I thought we could replace one tree with a torii gate, but that might have wound up with forests of them and that would certainly be odd.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Eddi wrote:You cannot modify industries of another NewGRF, you can only modify default industries, or add completely new industries.
By arrangement (and this can be insanity) the industries of one newgrf can be coded to disable or modify themselves if another newgrf is present.

This sort of madness is not wise, and is one of several reasons why changing grfs in game is unsupported (and prevented). But it is possible...
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

FWIW, I did make matching slope tiles for the rice fields (the ones currently in the set) some time ago. They are in the current development version of the landscape set.

Too bright is something that could be fixed with Photohop (followed by careful readjustment to the TTD palette).
Attachments
gfxricefields.pcx
(237.19 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

Return to “Graphics Development”