Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Thanks!

I think my next project will be the food processing plant. Maybe after that I'm trying to tighten the 1975 -1987 gap of trains. I've found out that that time wears out trains. Especially when you still have 80-types still running your commuter trains! It needs more EMU's! *but first the buildings

If anyone has requests regarding buildings, please ask! I'm in the mood for architecture! :D
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Toni, that's excellent!! You did a great work with it!
I have been taking a look at it and here are some advices to improve (even more) it:

> The posters in the outer walls: they are too bright colors. Even if they are supposed to be white, make the white ones a bit more grey, and add noise to them; and make the yellow ones the brown-yellow color; or the darker tones of yellow, and add noise too.

> The inner wall in the garage: Add more texturing and make it darker

> The glasses: Glasses in TTD are not blue; they are the mauve color between the blue and the light-brown. with a lot of noise/texturing they will look excellent.

> The chimmenies are only textured in the right part. Don't fear that the white will look too dark, this will add volume and make it look very well.

> The panels: The upper panel of the building looks like it's written in arabian letters (maybe the fact that it's clear color over green background helps reminding the Emirates flag :mrgreen: ) I created some panels you can use in this and later works too: kanji are indeed quite hard to draw in TTD size, and don't ever dream to have a well recognizable kanji in a sprite (unless it takes all the wall of a building...)
However take a look at these kanji I drew: obviously it's hard to tell what they are by themselves. But in the tiny TTD size, they'll look alright. If you have a lot of imagination, knowing that it's an electronics factory, you'll understand the "電機" kanji in that panel.
The vertical panel, despite being unreadable looked good. However, I thought of adding some letter there too. These are only examples, you can try yourself. Katakana and simple kanji will usually look fine.
Also, maybe it's a good idea to make the upper panel in company colors: you can draw the panel in clear CC and the letters in black, or vice versa: the panel in dark CC and the letters in white.

prissi: thanks for the advice, I see what you mean! I'll work on it soon.
Attachments
panels.png
panels.png (473 Bytes) Viewed 2977 times
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

The japansetw.zip download has no readme. Although hardly necessary at this stage, I do wonder if a text file with the following single line might save a little time (both for users, because it is not a default setting, and for you fine folk answering the question over again) : ;)

Ensure that unifiedmaglev is set to 2 in your ttdpatch.cfg file to enable Shinkansen tracks.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Thanks Sanshimaru! Here's the updated version! If you still see some glitches, please report them to me.

Abou the food processing plant: how many tiles will that be? 2x2 or 3x3?
Attachments
DenkiKôjô01.png
DenkiKôjô01.png (15.47 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I actually think that we might as well have a full proper readme. In fact, we do have one, it's just grossly obsolete. But it could be updated very easily. You can find it here:

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/eastasia/Japanset_Readme.htm

Sanchimaru, are you able to run it through Notepad, and maek the necessary updates? Then just send it over to me and I'll add it to the various distribution areas.

All the rest of the Japanset GRF files have proper Readmes along the same lines. Might as well be thorough.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Ingame factory artist render:

*It fits more with the Japanese buildingsset IMO...
Attachments
Japan National Railway, 9. Mär 1981.png
Japan National Railway, 9. Mär 1981.png (94.4 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh yes, for sure it will fit in great with the Japanese building set. I'm just not sure that it fits in well with itself. I mean, one of them by itself looks awesome, but three of them side-by-side looks a bit odd. If it's intended to be coded so as to be larger and take up that much space, I think it would be better to have something else to take up that space other than more of the same. E.g. low-level metal sheds, or a chain-link-surrounded parking lot/loading dock, or some such simple thing.

Or an open plaza with a company flag where the Japanese employees can do their calisthenics every morning...
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

krtaylor wrote:Oh yes, for sure it will fit in great with the Japanese building set. I'm just not sure that it fits in well with itself. I mean, one of them by itself looks awesome, but three of them side-by-side looks a bit odd. If it's intended to be coded so as to be larger and take up that much space, I think it would be better to have something else to take up that space other than more of the same. E.g. low-level metal sheds, or a chain-link-surrounded parking lot/loading dock, or some such simple thing.

Or an open plaza with a company flag where the Japanese employees can do their calisthenics every morning...
Indeed! You are right! The factory isn't finished yet! I was arranging the factory as if it was a replacement for the original building. ^_^

Expanding buildings is a good idea, but isn't that going to be difficult to code? If not I'll do more buildings rather than start on the food plant.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'm not at all sure how new industries are coded. I think you can have multiple sections that get fit together in appropriate ways, but I don't know. Does anyone here?
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Toni Babelony, That looks fantastic... can't wait to start using it. :o
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Toni! That's friggin' awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you can do!

Okay peeps, I've recoded the landscape .grf and I have the tunnels integerated with it, I'm about to do something about the roads today, then I'll recode the trees probably. Not sure what I'll work on after that, we have those signals that need to be coded aswell.

This should be a good set, we're really starting to get there with it. Exciting times :D.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

krtaylor wrote:I'm not at all sure how new industries are coded. I think you can have multiple sections that get fit together in appropriate ways, but I don't know. Does anyone here?
You can layout a new industry (including replacements for old industries) any way you please, and with as many different layouts as you please (or have the patience to code :))).
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Oh, Sanchimaru, I was having a look at the foundations, but, problem is, you've only supplied sprites for the original in-game foundations, buildonslopes requires quite a fair bit more sprites, I've attached a .png of the track foundations .grf to show you what sprites I will need (And it's quite a lot, I'm afraid).

Apart from that, all is going well, I'm just about ready to re-release the landscape .grf! :D .
Attachments
foundations.png
(84.8 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

PikkaBird wrote:You can layout a new industry (including replacements for old industries) any way you please, and with as many different layouts as you please (or have the patience to code :))).
In that case:
Attachments
DenkiKôjô02.png
DenkiKôjô02.png (21.95 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Awesome factory. Wouldn't look too bad as a company HQ either :)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Oh, could someone cook me up a batch of rather general billboards and stuff to plaster to buildings? I'm strongly considering taking some buildings from TTRS and possibly drawing my own, and whacking a few billboards on them. This is for sky-scrapers mind-you.

Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Korenn wrote:Awesome factory. Wouldn't look too bad as a company HQ either :)
If it lost the chimneys, yeah it would go well with very industrial player's hq. :)
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Well the factory clearly advertizes its maker. Nice idea this too.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

prissi wrote:Well the factory clearly advertizes its maker. Nice idea this too.
Hahaha! Well, this was a one-time advert you know! ^_^" I couldn't help myself... (with some help from Sanchimaru)

About the HQ... Is that a request? :wink:
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Well I say so! If you can do new HQ's for all four/five stages, that would rock, I reckon.

Return to “Graphics Development”