Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

300 series

Post by Sanchimaru »

Here is the 300 series. Actually, it looks different from the others.

Now let's se how does the 3E4 MAX looks like.

However, I'll look first into other trains...
Attachments
300series.jpg
300series.jpg (4.52 KiB) Viewed 8563 times
Last edited by Sanchimaru on 08 Feb 2004 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, the 300 looks different, that's why I selected it. It also happens to be my favorite, I have fond memories of a ride thereon and I have a couple of models.

You are so amazingly fast, it's unbelievable! We have got to come up with a way to encode and test these things ASAP. Do you do hex?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

not really...

Post by Sanchimaru »

Oh, sorry, no idea about programming.
As for making yourself an idea, the last time I programmed, it was on a MSX (a nerd game with a 16x16 graphics arrow and target...)

I'll care of the graphics at the moment. If I find out anything about encoding, etc., I'll let you know.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No problem, you're doing such a great job with the graphics, I'd hate to distract you with programming anyway. I'll try to find someone, or else we'll wait for Owen's new GUI tool to do it more easily.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

115 semi fast

Post by Sanchimaru »

What do you think of this one?
Attachments
115.jpg
115.jpg (3.36 KiB) Viewed 8549 times
Last edited by Sanchimaru on 08 Feb 2004 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think it looks good but it's hard to say against the dark black background. I'd need to see it running in the game. I think your perspective may be a little off as far as the roof. Look carefully at a loco with a flat roof and see how much roof is showing.

By the way, this site has several pages listing ALL the TTD locos that have been released, with side-view images of them. So they may help you with some ideas and point-of-view.

http://ttd.cernun.net/transport/trains.html

Oh, and I haven't seen pantographs on any of these, they need to be added. You have to make the sprite a little taller to make room for them but that's OK.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

the color scheme

Post by Sanchimaru »

Hello everybody!

Let me know what do you think about this:
In Michael Blunk's temperate set there were actually 2 files to choose from: one of them had a default color scheme for each vehicle, and the other had all the vehicles in the changing color (blue when editing) so that it matched with your company's.

I always thougt that TT trains looked all too plain with the same color for every vehicle.
However, the key of having 2 files was in my opinion a good idea, for you let people choose what they like best.

By the way, I'm working on the 115. I made it symetric, but I realized there are actually 1 locomotive and 1 car, so the train comes in a 3 set:
<---/----/---->

Ah, don't worry, I began already working on the pantographs.
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by hovering teacup »

about shinkansens, are we going to give them the third lot of rail (actuelly for maglev/monorail) ? because they have different width between rails and can't enter the traditional network, and so this way the gameplay will be more realistic especially if shinkansens carry only passengers and mails. (on deciding to introduce them on an existing line you have to decide also if you convert it into shinkansen rail or you leave it for freight and lay shinkansen rail alongside...)

about models to include in the game, I think class 500 is also indispensable as it runs at higher speed than 300 or 700, and additionally it looks really different.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=fr&l ... che+Google
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

the 500

Post by Sanchimaru »

Yes, I was planning to make a version of the 500, for it is soooo cool...

At the moment I've made 3 shinkansens, and I'm working on other kind of trains, but some day I hope to let you see the 500.
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

wow this is the first time I looked in here.. the 300 looks nice.. I love the white and blue
Kruz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kruz »

alphanumeric wrote:wow this is the first time I looked in here.. the 300 looks nice.. I love the white and blue
White and blue on trains or just generally?
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

generally.. the pictures of that train look cool too.. if it were on a freight train.. grey and blue is okay I guess =)
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

EH500

Post by Sanchimaru »

Finally, the EH500 is out. I realized that the engines were slightly different, so I tried to make this difference noticeable.

And this time, it has pantographs... now I'll go and add some to the previous models. Check the pics for additional updates on the work
Attachments
eh500.jpg
eh500.jpg (4.67 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

ooh you are awfully rapid in the work...

Sanchimaru, have you already begun to draw ef81 that's on the krtaylor's list ? if not leave it for the moment, I think that type should better be replaced by ef65. ofcourse the set might have both if there are plenty of slots but if I remember well both have roughly the same spec, ef81 being able to run also with AC powering. but ef65 is definitely THE standard type.
(oh well the difference in the look is almost only in the colouring and the messy things on the roof but I thought I should inform you so you avoid unneeded works)
nilsi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by nilsi »

I still do not get it. Do you need a way to test the new graphics (not that hard to do as an nfo file) or do you only need very complicated grf files with very complicated features?
That is something different. For testing you could just replace original pictures in trg1r.grf with the new ones
(decode with grfcodec -p 2 -d trg1r.grf
put the pictures in the huge trg1r.pcx file
encode with grfcodec -p 2 -e trg1r.grf
(win version)
)
or write a suitable little nfo file replacing trg1r sprites one by one. But how wagon override really works I do not know completely.

One time I read about "we want to see them move"
and then "we need powered wagons"

Nils (confused)
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

I forgot to add another point.
on the project's train list there is E4 , but there is another double-deck shinkansen introduced a couple of years earlier.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=fr& ... he+Google

maybe you are not interested but just for info.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Locomotives

Post by Sanchimaru »

Thanks for the advise, teacup

So looks you're familiar with them, do you live in Japan?

I took a look around and, indeed, there are only slight paint differences between the 2 models.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

East Asia

Post by Sanchimaru »

In fact, East Asia is not Japan only. I found a page with a lot of useful information about corean and maybe other railways:

http://www.railway-technology.com/proje ... uth-korea3
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Locomotives

Sanchimaru wrote: So looks you're familiar with them, do you live in Japan?
as a little child I was once *infected* by japanese trains folly :wink:
those trains with eccentric (so seemed to me) forms and colours, contours in subtil curve, exagerated painting and front signs with kitsch images... completely debording the limit of strict need, while trains should by nature be only a tool for everyday life.
I took a look around and, indeed, there are only slight paint differences between the 2 models.

that reminded me that lately locomos seem to be painted variously. before, ef81 had been in tarnish rose, and that ef65...good news for alphanumeric, in blue and pale custard cream !
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

E65 and E81

Post by Sanchimaru »

Finally it's up

By the way, I realized that the 2 locomotives weren't exactly the same, besides the color scheme:
The 65 model has a "central door" in the front part, so it has 3 windows. The 81 instead has no central door, just 2 longer windows.

However the editing was easy to do, and here it goes:
Attachments
E6581.jpg
E6581.jpg (5.19 KiB) Viewed 8433 times

Return to “Graphics Development”