[CHIPS development thread] MAYO, KETCHUP, SALT + VINEGAR

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [CHIPS development thread] MAYO, KETCHUP, SALT + VINEGAR

Post by wallyweb »

Emperor Jake wrote:
andythenorth wrote:
Emperor Jake wrote:Ooh! What about a track tile that looks like its a bit raised on a pedestal, for placing a historic engine on static display? :P
That's cunning. Possibly should be customised depending on what newgrfs you have installed :o

Yexo will love coding that :twisted:

I just meant an ordinary station tile with a track, so that a player can put an engine on static display there.
Sort of like this, but neater:
I did this for a scenario game I had a couple of years ago. Simply build a platform track where you want to locate the display, then build a depot attached to the track, buy a suitable engine and drive it onto the platform track and stop it. Next, destroy the depot and replace the depot with an untracked platform tile and voilà! Instant museum piece on your station platform. WARNING! The local children will want to climb all over it! :wink:
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

I like the simplicity and clarity of CHIPS. The stations go well with FIRS (surprise) and it's easy to see the trains. The buffers are awesome. I think a station with the same cobblestone tile as the passenger concourse would be a good idea, for passenger/city stations, with random benches and stuff. One complaint that I do have is that the tile edges are so very hard. It'd be nice if the corners and edges blended somehow when at the edge of the station. (is this even possible?)
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Is it intentional that these orienations are identical, or have you just not got that far yet?
Attachments
Lindworth Falls Transport, 4th Jun 2040.png
Lindworth Falls Transport, 4th Jun 2040.png (10.78 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Intentional, to allow construction on all slopes.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Kogut wrote:Intentional, to allow construction on all slopes.
I know why we need two different orientations, I was just wondering if there were plans to have them oriented differently (if you see what I mean).
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

PaulC wrote:Is it intentional that these orienations are identical, or have you just not got that far yet?
Flipping the graphics for a second orientation requires reshading - for the lighting. I might do that...or I might not. :)
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

I am not sure why (it may be intended as tiles are quite generic) but this set is not AI compatible. (AIs are able to use newgrf stations, using AIRail::BuildNewGRFRailStation function http://noai.openttd.org/api/trunk/class ... 2262c8b42f It works with industrial station set [usually: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 40#p887606 ] )

Is it possible to change this?
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Kogut wrote:I am not sure why (it may be intended as tiles are quite generic) but this set is not AI compatible. (AIs are able to use newgrf stations, using AIRail::BuildNewGRFRailStation function http://noai.openttd.org/api/trunk/class ... 2262c8b42f It works with industrial station set [usually: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 40#p887606 ] )

Is it possible to change this?
Can you provide a list of used NewGRFs and a savegame?
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Code: Select all

AIRail.BuildNewGRFRailStation(trasa.first_station.location, AIRail.RAILTRACK_NE_SW, 1, trasa.station_size, AIStation.STATION_NEW, trasa.cargo, source_industry, goal_industry, distance, true)
Attachments
Przechwytywanie.PNG
(206.92 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
CHIPS.sav
(46.62 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
AIAI-theta3.zip
(73.39 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Cannot add another attachment, 3 is the maximum.
Attachments
Przechwytywanie.PNG
(183.6 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

With the release of 1.0.0, CHIPS is now 'done' :D

What does the future hold for CHIPS?
- any reproducible bugs will be fixed
- 'high' platforms might be added to match the original, default TTD station platforms, but adding bufferstops etc
- cargo and buildings might be added to the 'concrete slab' platforms

When might these happen? No timeframe: Yexo is very busy, and I would prefer to work on other sets now.

Enjoy your CHIPS ;)
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

'high' platforms might be added to match the original, default TTD station platforms, but adding bufferstops etc
Yes please - usable tiles with buffer stops would be most helpful
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

andythenorth wrote:With the release of 1.0.0, CHIPS is now 'done' :D
V1.0.0 is not available at the #openttdcoop Development Zone. Yes, I was able to get it from the Fruit Store but it would be nice if both places had it. There has also been a release at The Zone of r204. The r204 .grf file has a modification date of 6-29-12 at 5:29PM while the v1.0.0 .grf file has a modification date of 6-28-12 at 5:06PM. This would lead me to believe that r204 is a more "up to date" version than v1.0.0 but I am then confused by the quote above.

I browse the #openttdcoop Development Zone as often as time will permit (ideally on a daily basis) and this is an ongoing issue there. Often there are both a release candidate version (r#) and a stable version (v#) released on the same day for a given NewGrf. I fully understand that the stable versions are usually built off of the release candidate versions but quite often the release candidate versions will have a file modification date that comes after that of the stable versions as seen above. As one who generally enjoys having the latest and greatest of these wonderful things I am often torn as to which is the most up to date and, therefore, which to download and use.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Nite Owl wrote:This would lead me to believe that r204 is a more "up to date" version than v1.0.0 but I am then confused by the quote above.
It isn't. r204 is a nightly with exactly the same content as the release.

What happened is that r203 was tagged as release 1.0.0. This tag is then stored in r204. So the release is actually version 203, but version 204 is needed to save that version 203 is the release. In the end you have a r203, r204 and 1.0.0 with all the exact same content. They're not interchangable though, due to different md5 checksums.
There will always be a nightly seemingly newer than a release, simply because nightlies are always built after a release.

Also, rXXX is not a release candidate. The r stands for revision, and those files are all nightlies. They're not checked by the developer to see if they are any good. They're simply built once a day for those who want to test for themselves. A release candidate would be tagged along the lines of 1.0.0-RC1.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Oops, my bad, I got the semantics wrong. Yes, "Nightly" (r#) is what I should have typed instead of "Release Candidate".

Thank You FooBar for the explanation of how the timing of a Nightly Release versus a Stable Release works. I will keep that in mind when downloading in the future.

My apologies for hijacking andythenorth's thread. We now return you to your regular diet of CHIPS.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon

Return to “Graphics Development”