FIRS-style docks

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PaulC
Director
Director

FIRS-style docks

Post by PaulC »

New dock graphics, based on sprites by andythenorth for seamless integration with FIRS fishing harbours:
FIRS docks.png
FIRS docks.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 9554 times
Not sure how happy I am with them, hence the 0.1 release: I think they possibly need something else but I'm not sure what, so comments and crits are welcome. More than adequate for a first attempt though. :)

Screenie and download below...
Attachments
Green & Co., 20th Nov 1999.png
Green & Co., 20th Nov 1999.png (72.29 KiB) Viewed 9556 times
firs-docks.zip
(10.4 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Last edited by PaulC on 27 Dec 2017 10:09, edited 3 times in total.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS-style docks [v0.1]

Post by andythenorth »

PaulC wrote:they possibly need something else but I'm not sure what
You could give them any of: crates, barrels, a small building, a forklift or other vehicle. Most of those could be found in FIRS somewhere :)
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

I'd rather opt for some small buildings than a crane. That would make them more multifunctional. (Because then they could look okay as passenger docks, too.)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Augh! Beat me to it! I had good intentions of developing a more modern style dock to fit in with FIRS and IRS. This is a good start! And, yes, I agree, it would be nice to see it developed so that it looks good as a passenger dock, too. Great job!
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

Is there anyway to make docks more than 2x1 tiles?

If not you could move the crane to the side on the NW and SE docks like they are on the NE and SW ones. Then maybe add like a build up of materials (coal, iron ore etc). Then at the part of the dock which is on land, try adding a small building for PAX, maybe some benchs and stuff outside, and use a similar thing MB's NewStations and Canadian Stations where the more passengers, people start to appear.

That way, its a multifunctional dock :)
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Can docks show waiting cargo like station platforms can? If so, you could have just a plain grey dock with perhaps a generic building, and then draw crates or passenger facilities if goods or people start waiting there in large numbers.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

SamMacca wrote:Is there anyway to make docks more than 2x1 tiles?
Currently not, but it is in the list of possible features in the medium future. (basically an extension of NewGRF airports)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

SamMacca wrote:Is there anyway to make docks more than 2x1 tiles?
Actually I was going to ask if you could make it into a 1x1 tile so that you can line them up on a shore line with cranes etc. and make more industrial0looking container harbours?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

kamnet wrote:Actually I was going to ask if you could make it into a 1x1 tile
I would be very surprised if that couldn't already be faked by specifying the base set water graphic as the sprite for one of the tiles.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

andythenorth wrote:
kamnet wrote:Actually I was going to ask if you could make it into a 1x1 tile
I would be very surprised if that couldn't already be faked by specifying the base set water graphic as the sprite for one of the tiles.
1x1 docks are simple to do, but the trade-off is that your ships will appear to do their loading/unloading out in the sea:
1x1 dock.png
1x1 dock.png (11.95 KiB) Viewed 9308 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

That's what I was afraid of, I was hoping you could code a 1x1 tile so that the ship would be flush with the entire shore line instead of sticking out in the water.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

A little off-topic, but would it be possible to essentially code a dock as a buoy (or vice-versa) to enable "off-shore docks" like the ones Andy is refering to? That way you could have smaller ships waiting to load at a buoy, and a large tanker docking to offload it's cargo to the smaller vessels. Basically it would enable you to do purely with ships what can be done with Road Vehicles and Trains or small Trains and large Trains (smaller quarry workings dropping off ore at a larger, centralised loading stage for long main line ore trains to haul to it's final destination)
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

SquireJames wrote:A little off-topic, but would it be possible to essentially code a dock as a buoy (or vice-versa) to enable "off-shore docks" like the ones Andy is refering to? That way you could have smaller ships waiting to load at a buoy, and a large tanker docking to offload it's cargo to the smaller vessels. Basically it would enable you to do purely with ships what can be done with Road Vehicles and Trains or small Trains and large Trains (smaller quarry workings dropping off ore at a larger, centralised loading stage for long main line ore trains to haul to it's final destination)
You mean like enhanced buoys in TTDP? It would be nice to have those in OTTD...
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Ah, well I've been a pure OTTD player since NewIndustries was implemented in it, so I wasn't aware of that development. But, by the sounds of it, yes, that! hehe
PaulC
Director
Director

Re: FIRS-style docks [v0.2]

Post by PaulC »

Random update...

When I first did this there was no CC for dock graphics, but it's been in trunk for a while now so I thought I'd have another go. It had always been my intention to use the fishing harbour warehouse, so this version is much closer to my original idea. I've also switched the orientation of the cranes.

I'll let others decide whether or not this is an improvement over the original (which is basically what ended up in CHIPS)...

UPDATE: The latest version of this grf can be downloaded here.
Attachments
FIRS Docks.png
FIRS Docks.png (9.68 KiB) Viewed 8564 times
firs_docks.grf
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
PaulC
Director
Director

Re: FIRS-style docks [v0.3]

Post by PaulC »

FIRS buoys? I've also got some new ideas for the dock...
Attachments
Findingville Transport, 2050-05-27.png
Findingville Transport, 2050-05-27.png (28.42 KiB) Viewed 6158 times
PaulC
Director
Director

Re: FIRS-style docks

Post by PaulC »

So, docks are made from two tiles, the bit that's attached to the coast and the bit that sits on the water. The idea is to have a separate parameter for each tile with a variety of different options so you can customise the docks any way you want. My current test version has four options coded for each tile which allows for 16 different combinations. Final version will have more variety but that's the basic concept.

Will probably change the name of the GRF as well, I'm thinking "CHIPS Custom Docks" at the moment.
Attachments
Dock combinations.png
Dock combinations.png (173.87 KiB) Viewed 5983 times
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Grinch Railways, 10th Jul 1972.png
(231.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Nice to see work being undertaken on the docks , would it be possible to have them match the style of Chips stations/ECS terminal and ISR Style Docks.GarryG of the Aus fame has some beautiful wooden Wharfs .Old buildings and wooden wharfs would make a nice combination for those starting a early game using ships .I don't know if it would be possible to choose the different styles as in Chips ,Dirt,Wooden,Concrete or a combination .
Look forward to seeing how this set progresses .
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

piratescooby wrote:Nice to see work being undertaken on the docks , would it be possible to have them match the style of Chips stations/ECS terminal and ISR Style Docks.GarryG of the Aus fame has some beautiful wooden Wharfs .Old buildings and wooden wharfs would make a nice combination for those starting a early game using ships .I don't know if it would be possible to choose the different styles as in Chips ,Dirt,Wooden,Concrete or a combination .
Look forward to seeing how this set progresses .
Different ground tiles would mean doubling the number of sprites (or x3, x4, etc. depending on how many variations you want), so it's doable but not on my current agenda. Going to stick with the current FIRS/CHIPS style for now. Something to think about though.

Return to “Graphics Development”