OpenGFX+ Landscape

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PaulC
Director
Director

Re: OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by PaulC »

ISA wrote:Hey mates! A little pump! Just wanted to ask, if there is any way possible to have/use newobjects separately in this grf so I don't get any other changes in the game, graphic wise! Very like to use this windmill in my game's!
Already possible. Make sure the "disable gridlines" parameter is turned off.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

PaulC wrote:
ISA wrote:Hey mates! A little pump! Just wanted to ask, if there is any way possible to have/use newobjects separately in this grf so I don't get any other changes in the game, graphic wise! Very like to use this windmill in my game's!
Already possible. Make sure the "disable gridlines" parameter is turned off.
Yes but the landscape still changes, right? I'm aiming just objects, like separate grf maybe or something like that?
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

ISA wrote:Yes but the landscape still changes, right?
Wrong. Check again... ;)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Oh jeez. Thanks mate, wonder why I didn't notice that myself. Now I got my mills!
Edit: Little suggestion - Smaller wind mills what can fit between bigger ones! See picture. That picture was the inspiration why I did searched up this grf again :)
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

ISA wrote:Smaller wind mills what can fit between bigger ones! See picture. That picture was the inspiration why I did searched up this grf again :)
I don't think that's a particularly common occurrence, usually wind farms all use the same type of turbine distributed optimally (I'm happy to be proven wrong but, :P ). :)
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

lawton27 wrote:I don't think that's a particularly common occurrence, usually wind farms all use the same type of turbine distributed optimally (I'm happy to be proven wrong but, :P ). :)
Externally, you are correct sir.

However, the internals of each turbine vary from individual turbine to turbine slightly... It's a technology that's constantly improving... So the approach is similar to that taken in the V2 Rocket production facilities where each item has to be matched to it's own specific parts because some minor revision regularly being made along the production line, even if the base model is essentially the same...

I have a family friend who spends his days travelling/working out on the new sea-based wind-farms out from the Welsh, Irish, and East Coasts... He has a number of tales of turbines been sent internals that don't quite match the turbine they were sent out for :rolleyes: which results in some improvisation on-site to make things work when they get out there and find something doesn't quite fit or match

As to the size of turbines; you are also correct, generally you'll see only the same size distributed optimally for the winds that typically pass through the area... The problem with smaller turbines being added is the pressures and currents of air passing through the area can be altered dramatically by non-uniform shapes and distributions... Making the farms less efficient... But then again, well placed small turbines can be used to improve things where rocks or hills affect air passing through the area negatively, by "steering" typical air currents by altering air pressure and flow strategically...

Did you know the pressure drop behind a turbine can be significant enough to collapse the lungs of birds and bats that fly into that area mid-flight? This is why turbines placed in-land are increasingly having to be built taking local avian-fauna into consideration...

Anyway i'll head Back On-topic; it would be nice to see smaller turbines added, even though they are not that common (especially in the numbers shown in that photo)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Good info!
One more thing... I think that the ground and water edge need a foundation too, small roundish what fits on land and into water, just few pixels high, 2 or 3 maybe and gray'sh! I have some ideas but not sure that I find the time atm to draw it, tough it wouldn't be very hard to add! :)
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

I found an issue with lighthouses and transmitters in arctic and alpine climate. The default ones don't use snowy ground tiles if above the snowline. Where the NewObjects version behave like expected, like you can see in the screenshot below using the alpine climate (arctic climate shows the same behavior).

I guess this is because OpenGFX+ landscape just uses the sprites from OpenGFX baseset. Also the default ones cannot be build on slopes (which also isn't supported by the baseset). I was a bit surprised that even in the arctic climate the wrong ground sprite was used. But this is already known as there already exists this entry in the bugtracker.

Is there any way to change/fix this behavior in OpenGFX+ landscape? Imho the main problem with this is when you play a random generated map you cannot bulldoze the default objects and replace them with their NewObjects counterparts. Well you can use the magic bulldozer cheat, but thats just an option for singleplayer.

Just for completeness I tested this with OpenTTD r24359, OpenGFX r978 and OpenGFX+ Landscape r111 (without any other newgrfs active).

Cheers,
Sleepie
Attachments
Showcase
Showcase
OpenGFXvsOpenGFX+Landscape.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Do I understand your question correctly as "Can OpenGFX+ Landscape change the behaviour of the default objects"?
Then the answer is still 'no'

If it would be feasible by now, I would have done that already ;). I could make the default light house and transmitter always show snowy ground - but that would be as incorrect as the current behaviour.
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

planetmaker wrote:Do I understand your question correctly as "Can OpenGFX+ Landscape change the behaviour of the default objects"?
Then the answer is still 'no'
If it would be feasible by now, I would have done that already ;).
I somehow expected that answer :( fair enough.
planetmaker wrote: I could make the default light house and transmitter always show snowy ground - but that would be as incorrect as the current behaviour.
Of course not. So if I understand correctly arctic climate has to be fixed in the baseset and alpine climate cannot be changed at the moment.
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sleepie wrote:So if I understand correctly arctic climate has to be fixed in the baseset and alpine climate cannot be changed at the moment.
It's more that OpenTTD itself needs a fix in order to support that (that's also why the issue you linked above is set to 'OpenTTD' - which means, someone needs to fix OpenTTD's source code to allow these default objects use snowyness and be modified - and at best supply the sprites at the same time :-) )
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

planetmaker wrote:
Sleepie wrote:So if I understand correctly arctic climate has to be fixed in the baseset and alpine climate cannot be changed at the moment.
It's more that OpenTTD itself needs a fix in order to support that (that's also why the issue you linked above is set to 'OpenTTD' - which means, someone needs to fix OpenTTD's source code to allow these default objects use snowyness and be modified - and at best supply the sprites at the same time :-) )
Well the sprites are already there in this set (even with slope building support), aren't they? ;) I also have another question. I played a bit around with the alpine climate and noticed that the UKRoadset still shows the original TTD arctic ground, because thats how this roadset is drawn/coded. So my question is, can a roadset be developed in a way that works with any baseset (just using overlays or something)? I admit I haven't tested other road sets so far.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Sleepie wrote:Well the sprites are already there in this set (even with slope building support), aren't they?
There's also the TTD base set which would require new graphics when changing OpenTTD behaviour.
Sleepie wrote:So my question is, can a roadset be developed in a way that works with any baseset (just using overlays or something)? I admit I haven't tested other road sets so far.
Yes and no. No you can't provide roads as overlay for normal terrain. Road sprites are single sprites with both road and terrain combined. Yes as in that different versions for each known base set can be provided, selectable via parameter. But you may want to drop that request in the UK Roadset topic ;)
Sleepie
Director
Director

Post by Sleepie »

FooBar wrote:
Sleepie wrote:Well the sprites are already there in this set (even with slope building support), aren't they?
There's also the TTD base set which would require new graphics when changing OpenTTD behaviour.
Ah, that is what planetmaker means with providing the required sprites, forgot this one.
FooBar wrote:
Sleepie wrote:So my question is, can a roadset be developed in a way that works with any baseset (just using overlays or something)? I admit I haven't tested other road sets so far.
Yes and no. No you can't provide roads as overlay for normal terrain. Road sprites are single sprites with both road and terrain combined. Yes as in that different versions for each known base set can be provided, selectable via parameter. But you may want to drop that request in the UK Roadset topic ;)
I see now, thanx for the answer and my question was not intended as request for adding this to OpenGFX+ Landscape. Just wanted to know how roads work from a developer point of view and if there are multiple ways to implement them. Its just that I had a break from the game for more than 4 years and still try to catch up what has happened during this time. I read a lot of stuff up and down lately and played around with all those nice additions that are new for me. At the moment I have a kind of birds-eye-view - the big picture - but there is still plenty of things that I need to explore ;-)

Enough OT.

Thanks again for your help planetmaker & Foobar.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I'd like to ask interested people to provide translations for the description and parameters of this NewGRF. You find a convenient summary and overview over translations and their status (thanks Alberth!) near the nightly builds.

A new release is upcoming as the last release of this set is already a few days old and quite a few few things have been changed since. As teaser taken with my current build and the current nightly of OpenTTD: smoother rivers and company land (the fenced meadows) now show properly sea shore where there's sea shore. But also for users of OpenTTD 1.2 and 1.3 there's a lot of additions, changes and fixes included already, for instance new, selectable road tunnels :-).
Attachments
ogfx-landscape.png
ogfx-landscape.png (201.71 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

planetmaker wrote:...selectable road tunnels...
Sounds like a lot has happened in the last year or so! How do these work?

Still loving my wind turbine btw :D
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:
planetmaker wrote:...selectable road tunnels...
Sounds like a lot has happened in the last year or so! How do these work?
I'm afraid, it's only a NewGRF parameter... so playing an actual map you still cannot choose between different ones. So nothing really happened there, just a choice among a few different graphics on map configuration. Really new are more curvy river sprites and the necessary support on OpenTTD side :D I'm currently working on polishing the additional shore sprites and required NewGRF code.
Zephyris wrote:Still loving my wind turbine btw :D
So do I :-)
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

There seem to be two different styles of river corners :shock:
Presumably that works in game? :bow:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FLHerne wrote:There seem to be two different styles of river corners :shock:
Presumably that works in game? :bow:
Yes, that works with OpenTTD r25230 or newer.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

One dutch translation!
nl_NL.lng
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

Return to “Graphics Development”