OpenGFX+ Landscape

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

akasoft
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by akasoft »

planetmaker wrote:I dislike that only the wind turbine's base is shown in the item overview list.
Maybe just a separate picture for menu (how to trains)? If not provided, use current algoritm.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

akasoft wrote:And at my build (rev.85) fence is absent (not drawn), see screenshot.
fence_absent.png
It's ok?
Doesn't happen for me. As obvious also in the screenshot a few postings above.

Do you by chance use a NewGRF which replaces the fences by something invisible (then this is the expected behaviour).
akasoft wrote:
planetmaker wrote:I dislike that only the wind turbine's base is shown in the item overview list.
Maybe just a separate picture for menu (how to trains)? If not provided, use current algoritm.
The graphics switch to exactly provide that picture is what is commented out right now :-). But the size of the turbine doesn't lend itself well to look good in the item scrollbar and the item preview at the same time.
akasoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by akasoft »

planetmaker wrote:Do you by chance use a NewGRF which replaces the fences by something invisible (then this is the expected behaviour).
Yes, it's my mistake. I use Canadion Stations Set 1.0 (grfid 43415463) with parameter 1 equal 0.
Parm 1 - Fence Option :

0 - no fences
1 - [default] normal TTD fences.
2 - small fences, same fences used for station platforms [not available in a sub-tropical game].
3 - hedges (in temperate) or stone walls (in arctic) [not available in a sub-tropical game].
If I change it to 1-3, all its shown.
image2.png
image2.png (33.01 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

akasoft wrote:I use Canadion Stations Set 1.0 (grfid 43415463) with parameter 1 equal 0.
Thanks for the info. I'll add a note to the readme and a warning to the NewGRF.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

how about chain link fencing and sound barriers (used for high speed rail and highways)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Yes, sound barriers would be a great idea - I was thinking of making some when I've got the time :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

that would be nice, so far Ive seen pre-fab concrete barriers and thick brick wall sound barriers (some parts of the 401/Highway of Heros here in Ontario uses bricks for sound barriers in the heavily used parts especially when houses and buildings are close by)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

NekoMaster wrote:how about chain link fencing and sound barriers (used for high speed rail and highways)
Emperor Jake wrote:Yes, sound barriers would be a great idea - I was thinking of making some when I've got the time :)
I don't know the capabilities of OpenGFX, but perhaps fencing and sound barriers would be more appropriate to newobjects. :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

OpenGFX+ are NewGRF extensions to the OpenGFX base set (in the same style, but adding features). OpenGFX+ Landscape already contains some objects, so fences and sound barriers fit that nicely.

I might be required to steal the sound barrier idea for my Dutch Road Furniture object set though :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:I don't know the capabilities of OpenGFX, but perhaps fencing and sound barriers would be more appropriate to newobjects. :)
As FooBar said, this is just a normal NewGRF. The name only indicates the graphics style which it is designe to amend where the base set capabilities do not suffice (like vehicle refit, better ground awareness of buildings, stations, industries,... along with some more config options.

This particular NewGRF offers to choose to work without grids and adds a few selected NewObjects - like the fenced land is one.

With respect to sound barriers etc related to rail tracks or roads... for the time being I'd like to point to the Dutch Road Furniture Set ;-) or the rail track set of your choice.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Bug report:
Both 0.2.2 and r85 get a 'read past end of pseudo-sprite' error on 1.1.2 and 1.1.3RC1 (possibly others too), but still work; when used with patched versions (YACD, CDist, Chill's) they cause an immediate crash when starting a new game. This happens with or without other NewGRFs, crashlogs from Chill's patchpack attached.

I wouldn't normally post a report that primarily affects a non-standard version, but this seems to affect several different patched versions and occurs only with this NewGRF.

Thanks anyway for the grf; it looks so much better than the normal base tiles :D
Attachments
crash.sav
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
crash.dmp
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
crash.png
(819.88 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FLHerne wrote:Bug report:
Both 0.2.2 and r85 get a 'read past end of pseudo-sprite' error on 1.1.2 and 1.1.3RC1 (possibly others too)
This NewGRF is for versions of OpenTTD newer than r22860 only. Stable releases don't have the required NewGRF support (and thus correcly complain about NewGRF code they don't know).

The crashes in PatchPacks should be solved by their respective maintainers - probably by sync to current trunk.

EDIT: seems I forgot to set the proper min. required version in bananas. fixed that now.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

This NewGRF is for versions of OpenTTD newer than r22860 only.
OK, that makes sense. I'll just revert to 0.2.1 until the other stuff catches up. Thanks again for the shiny grass :bow:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Maybe I am doing something very stupid, but in the most recent OpenTTD nightly (r23235) and using OpenGFX+ Landscape version 0.2.3, I can't build objects like the fenced company area. The only thing I can get is a red warning box when I try to build the fenced area on water (expected), but I can't build the windmill anywhere and the fenced area on land.

Tried it in a running game in which I have some windmills and fenced area (but modified NewGRF's during the game) and with a fresh game with only OpenGFX+ Landscape loaded, and I couldn't do it in both.

Is there a bug in the NewGRF, in OpenTTD or am I really doing something stupid?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Transportman wrote: Is there a bug in the NewGRF, in OpenTTD or am I really doing something stupid?
You're not stupid and something is wrong somewhere. Thanks for the report. The NewGRF works as it should in r22813 (which is round about when I wrote it), thus it might be an OpenTTD bug.

EDIT:
21:39 CIA-6: OpenTTD: frosch * r23236 /trunk/src/object_cmd.cpp: -Fix (r23141): Construction of objects was always rejected.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Another bug: I can't build windmills directly next to each other. I get an error that the land is sloped in the wrong direction.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Transportman wrote:Another bug: I can't build windmills directly next to each other. I get an error that the land is sloped in the wrong direction.
I'm fairly sure that's intentional. If you had windmills on adjacent tiles the blades would overlap, hence the need for a one tile gap.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Even if it is intentional, the error message should be clear about what is happening.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Transportman wrote:Another bug: I can't build windmills directly next to each other. I get an error that the land is sloped in the wrong direction.
PaulC wrote:
I'm fairly sure that's intentional. If you had windmills on adjacent tiles the blades would overlap, hence the need for a one tile gap.
Terkhen wrote:Even if it is intentional, the error message should be clear about what is happening.
All that is true :-) or rather :-( You cannot build windmills on immediately adjacent tiles. The error message seems quite wrong though. Thanks for that hint, I made a note about that so that I'll not forget fixing it ;-)
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Regarding what was said in the release thead about the wind turbine base...

I've had a bit of a nosey around the DevZone and it looks like the intention is to have dirt around the base of the turbine when on land but not on water. Perhaps you could have waves around the base of the turbine when on water similar to the (OGFX) oil rigs? This is just something I quickly put together, but the effect in game seems rather nice IMO:
Attachments
turbine_base.png
turbine_base.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 4662 times

Return to “Graphics Development”