OpenGFX+ Landscape

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by arikover »

I wanted to ask how will OGFX+ Landscape will handle the new 'more height levels' feature?

This set is my favourite landscape set, the no-grid feature and the new mossy stone foundation (in the nightlies) is really cool. I tried playing OGFX+ Landscape 5388 with OTTD r 27018 (with more height levels). Max height is set to 255, and snowline is set to 8 both in summer and winter. But there is no snow on the map. Why so? How do I know what height the snowline will be at?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

snow will only appear in the subarctic climate.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Over the last few years I've used OpenGFX+ Landscape along with various patch packs that incorporated MHL, and have had no issues.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Thank you for your answers. But I think I didn't expose my problem quite clearly (it was late).

In OGFX+ Landscape, there is a 'variable snowline' setting, or better said two: one sets the snowline in winter, the second in summer. Allowed values for these settings are between 0 (snow everywhere) and 16 (nearly no snow at all).

Now with More Height Levels hitting trunk, heights can range between 0 and 255.

In a map with max_height set to 255 and variable snowline in january set to 0, the actual snowline is at height 6. With variable snowline set to 2, the actual height of the snowline is 37. I gathered the snowline now depends of the max_height setting.

Here are my 2 questions:

1 - What is the formula used to calculate the snowline height, using max_height?
2 - Will the 'variable snowline' settings of OGFX+ Landscape be ranged 0..255 in future versions, rather than 0..16 at the moment?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

arikover wrote: 1 - What is the formula used to calculate the snowline height, using max_height?
2 - Will the 'variable snowline' settings of OGFX+ Landscape be ranged 0..255 in future versions, rather than 0..16 at the moment?
Currently it uses this definition:

Code: Select all

#define setsnowline(date) \
	date: min(int(-50 * cos(2.0 * 3.141596 * (date - 15) / 365)) * snowline_2xamplitude / 100 + snowline_offset, 255);

#define SCALE 16

snowline_2xamplitude = (param_snow_july - param_snow_january) * SCALE;
snowline_offset = min(param_snow_january, param_snow_july) * SCALE + abs(snowline_2xamplitude / 2);
and subsequently sets a new snowline every 45 days based on this formula.

The next release shall better support and scale to 255 height levels (instead of 16) which also probably means to set a snowline at a finer temporal separation
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Thanks for this quick and precise answer!
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

Could you make the wind turbines so that you switch between their sprites by clicking them as you did for the fenced terrain? Also, different variants of the fenced terrain with different trees or different positions for the tree would be useful.

Also, i don't know if on different landscapes newgrf rocks are drawn with the surrounding terrain but if you could add a parameter to disable the replacing of original rocks (not the ones included as objects) it might be useful.

Greetings!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Manuestaire wrote:Could you make the wind turbines so that you switch between their sprites by clicking them as you did for the fenced terrain? Also, different variants of the fenced terrain with different trees or different positions for the tree would be useful.

Also, i don't know if on different landscapes newgrf rocks are drawn with the surrounding terrain but if you could add a parameter to disable the replacing of original rocks (not the ones included as objects) it might be useful.
I don't know which different version of the wind power plant you mean; there is only one type, so what is there to switch between? As for fenced land, it has a version with trees (depending on terrain) and one without. More variations can be added, but probably in a later release unless someone provides me with a decent patch for that.
An option to not replace rocks cannot be added sensibly. Generally, a landscape set cannot be selective in which landscape features it replaces as they all are connected by one or another sprite where several features are included and those cannot be composed on the fly by the game.
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

planetmaker wrote:
Manuestaire wrote:Could you make the wind turbines so that you switch between their sprites by clicking them as you did for the fenced terrain? Also, different variants of the fenced terrain with different trees or different positions for the tree would be useful.

I don't know which different version of the wind power plant you mean; there is only one type, so what is there to switch between? As for fenced land, it has a version with trees (depending on terrain) and one without. More variations can be added, but probably in a later release unless someone provides me with a decent patch for that.
An option to not replace rocks cannot be added sensibly. Generally, a landscape set cannot be selective in which landscape features it replaces as they all are connected by one or another sprite where several features are included and those cannot be composed on the fly by the game.
Currently, you have different sprites of the wind power plant; with different colors and different positions of the blades, but you cannot cycle through them as you can do with the color of the fenced terrain, it just places one randomly.

The reason why i asked about rocks is that combining opengfx with the japanese landscape newgrf i got to place both types of rocks with different sprites (OpenGFX rocks placed as an object, and japanese rocks placed as original openttd rocks ) the problem with that is that japanese landscape replaced some other features of opengfx i wanted to use, like terrain color, that's why i asked if it would be possible to choose not to replace the base rocks, so i can use japanese landscape rocks and opengfx rocks at the same time. (again, i will attach pictures asap)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Manuestaire wrote: Currently, you have different sprites of the wind power plant; with different colors and different positions of the blades, but you cannot cycle through them as you can do with the color of the fenced terrain, it just places one randomly.

The reason why i asked about rocks is that combining opengfx with the japanese landscape newgrf i got to place both types of rocks with different sprites (OpenGFX rocks placed as an object, and japanese rocks placed as original openttd rocks ) the problem with that is that japanese landscape replaced some other features of opengfx i wanted to use, like terrain color, that's why i asked if it would be possible to choose not to replace the base rocks, so i can use japanese landscape rocks and opengfx rocks at the same time. (again, i will attach pictures asap)

The wind turbines are not different, it's a random company colour picked for that sprite. And the blades are not fixed, but it's an animated object... :lol:

Re rocks: OpenGFX+Landscape is a landscape set and not designed as supplemental NewObjects set for other landscape sets nor are there plans to do so.

Maybe at some point in the future I'll move the few objects (rock, company land, wind turbine, antenna, light house) into a separate NewGRF. But even then: it's technically impossible to show every landscape set's rock as object, unless I copy the sprite, extract the rock and offer it as separate object - virtually impossible. And the cheap solution of just grabbing the sprite won't cut it, as you then rightfully would complain why those rocks don't work on shore tiles or in the sea while the real rocks do.

However you're free to compose your own NewGRF from the available ones. Both OpenGFX+Landscape as well as the Japanese NewGRFs are licensed under the GPL.
Manuestaire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Manuestaire »

planetmaker wrote: The wind turbines are not different, it's a random company colour picked for that sprite. And the blades are not fixed, but it's an animated object... :lol:

Re rocks: OpenGFX+Landscape is a landscape set and not designed as supplemental NewObjects set for other landscape sets nor are there plans to do so.

Maybe at some point in the future I'll move the few objects (rock, company land, wind turbine, antenna, light house) into a separate NewGRF. But even then: it's technically impossible to show every landscape set's rock as object, unless I copy the sprite, extract the rock and offer it as separate object - virtually impossible. And the cheap solution of just grabbing the sprite won't cut it, as you then rightfully would complain why those rocks don't work on shore tiles or in the sea while the real rocks do.

However you're free to compose your own NewGRF from the available ones. Both OpenGFX+Landscape as well as the Japanese NewGRFs are licensed under the GPL.
I'm looking forward to see the blades animated! However what's the point on taking a random color when you can only place objects in the scenario editor, i think i'd be more useful if you could choose the color on your own as you can do with fences ;)

As for the rocks, i'm attaching two pictures so i can probably explain it better, what i'd like (an apparently you said wasn't possible was something like this:)
if(parametre==true){/*Load base Rocks sprites (terrain ones)*/}else{/*Do not load (terrain) rock sprites (only loads them as custom objects at other part of the code)*/}

I remember that i wanted to use opengfx terrain color and so on, but being able to use the rocks from japanese landscape.

As for your suggestion about creating my own grf, i didn't know they were both GPL, anyways i'd have to learn A LOT, before being able to do it xD

Thanks, and keep up with this awesome set! xD
Attachments
lanscape1.jpg
lanscape1.jpg (86.35 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
lanscape2.jpg
lanscape2.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.0 is out!

This version comes with tons of updates to the translations (thanks to all translators!) and now (better) supports the new heightlevel setting when dealing with variable snowline.

Get it from ingame content download (bannananaas) or from the DevZone. Enjoy!

Changelog Version 1.1.0:

- Feature: Place around 50 rocky tiles per 256² map
- Feature: Allow to place up to 16 wind powerplants upon map creation per 256² map
- Feature: Brick foundations
- Feature: Add foundations with mossy gray stone (issue #6516)
- Feature: Add English (US) and Korean translations
- Feature: Updates for Catalan, Dutch, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Korean, Croatian,
    Norwegian bokmal, Russian, Scotish Gaelic and Spanish translations
- Feature: Support different max heightlevels with snowline algorithm
- Change: [Makefile] New versioning scheme
- Fix: Transition states from bare ground to grass/snow/desert had been lost (issue #7202)
- Fix: Some left over water in arctic steep slope and bad tile borders for some snow transitions
Translation credits:

Catalan:                    juanjo
    Croatian:                   Voyager1
    Dutch:                      Alberth
    English (US)                SuperCheese
    Finnish:                    Juzza1
    German:                     planetmaker, Jogio
    Hungarian:                  zaza, molace
    Indonesian:                 UseYourIllusion, Yoursnotmine
    Korean:                     kevin
    Russian:                    akasoft, George
    Scotish Gaelic:             GunChleoc
    Spanish:                    SilverSurferZzZ
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

Got a question over here, is this possible to use old graphics of maglev rail/tunnels to avoid such problem http://i.imgur.com/eLNTFgA.png (bridges still using old graphics of the rail). I just love to see old rail graphics with new GRF :|
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

RedEclipse wrote:Got a question over here, is this possible to use old graphics of maglev rail/tunnels to avoid such problem http://i.imgur.com/eLNTFgA.png (bridges still using old graphics of the rail). I just love to see old rail graphics with new GRF :|
What, please, are "the old graphics"? If you mean the graphics as shipped with TTD itself? No. Unless you personally buy the copyright for distribution and modification from Chris Sawyer or whoever owns it currently in a form so that you then are allowed donate it to the OpenTTD project as a whole.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.1 is out!

Version 1.1.1
=============
- Feature: New translations into Latin and French
- Feature: Translation updates for English (US), Scotish Gaelic, and Spanish
- Fix: No proper ground tile for antenna object in temperate and toyland climate (issue #2311)
Thanks to Supercheese, GunChleoc, SupersurferZzZ, and arikover for the translation updates, thanks to Alberth for (re-)discovering that antenna bug.

The new version can be found on banananas as usual or alternatively on the DevZone's bundles server.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

The new 1.1.1 version seems to be responsible for a small (yet annoying) bug: The object placement window is always oversized, not to be resized because the button lies in the unaccessible bottom right corner.

How to reproduce the bug:
-newgrfs : OGFX+ Landscape 1.1.1 alone.
-new game
-open object window

For some weird reason, this doesn't happen with version 1.1.0.

I used r27038, but it happens with r27068 as well. I think the bug is really caused by OGFX+ Landscape.
Which I find weird by the way: I didn't know that a NewGRF could change the size of the windows...
Attachments
Oversized Object Window.png
(284.94 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

They can to some extent, but not this much. Looks like a bug in OpenTTD.
Please report it at FlySpray (bugs.openttd.org)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Alberth wrote:Please report it at FlySpray (bugs.openttd.org)
Done!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Thanks!

In the mean time I tracked the problem back to the newgrf, and created a patch that should fix it.
The issue for OpenTTD however remains how to handle the case where an object is really that high. Making windows higher than the screen isn't very useful.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2 has been released:

- Feature: Italian Translation
- Update: Translations for Latin, Russian, and Korean
- Fix: Height of antenna and lighthouse was much too high
Thanks to Alberth for the bug fixes, and Voyager1, Telk, and Supercheese for the translation updates (Italian is now available, too).

Return to “Graphics Development”