(UNI) Generic Australian Rail Set (GARS) R&D

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: (UNI) Generic Australian Rail Set (GARS) R&D

Post by Doorslammer »

Also happen to have some VicRail things here (another set going nowhere, I think):

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 92#p705198
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 92#p705247
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

@ Doorslammer : Thanks for the offer, when I get to it I'll see about adding them though they're going to have to be converted to 2CC.

@ Voyager One : I find that the 2CC set's style/scale kinda sticks out when playing with other smaller/more detailed sets.

Also, I've (sorta) finished the NSWGR 45 Class Diesel Electric, though like I said before I still think somethings off in the SE and SW diagonal sprites (maybe its just me but they feel a little too tall compared to NE and NW). I've also started work on the NSWGR 442 Class in it's default Tuscan Red/Yellow Strips scheme. If I had better knowlege of coding I'd make the 442 change over to a Silverton themed livery in the late 90's.
Attachments
nswgr-loco.png
Locomotives Numbered in Pink
(10.92 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

NekoMaster wrote:(maybe its just me but they feel a little too tall compared to NE and NW)
And are they? It's relatively simple to check. :)
If I had better knowlege of coding I'd make the 442 change over to a Silverton themed livery in the late 90's.
It's not that difficult, want some help with your options? Are you coding in NML or NFO?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

PikkaBird wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:(maybe its just me but they feel a little too tall compared to NE and NW)
And are they? It's relatively simple to check. :)
If I had better knowlege of coding I'd make the 442 change over to a Silverton themed livery in the late 90's.
It's not that difficult, want some help with your options? Are you coding in NML or NFO?
Your going to laugh but I'm using GRF Maker

I seriously tried to understand NFO and NML, but neither computes. Probably because my only knowlege of programming is Turing and BASIC

EDIT : While Ive got your attention Pikka, any advise you could give me for my sprites? I know they're not very good but at the moment I'm doing my best. Also I've seem to have fallen into a habit of over dithering parts of the sprites (thats why some of the sprites have a ribbed look)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Well, the problem with GRF Maker is not so much that it's a bad tool, but that no-one who knows what they're doing uses it, so it's hard for anyone to give you any advice (that has also, historically, been a problem with other new ways of writing grf code).

Your sprites aren't bad. The dithering is a bit naff though. Try defining the shape without dithering, then represent actual detail with the darker shades.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

PikkaBird wrote:Well, the problem with GRF Maker is not so much that it's a bad tool, but that no-one who knows what they're doing uses it, so it's hard for anyone to give you any advice (that has also, historically, been a problem with other new ways of writing grf code).

Your sprites aren't bad. The dithering is a bit naff though. Try defining the shape without dithering, then represent actual detail with the darker shades.
I've never had a problem with using GRF Maker for un-articulated locomotives, but thats about all I use it for. Steam engines will just have to use a generic tender till I can get a coder.

Also I find that when I don't dither it, the sprites look too basic even with the details like radiators, vents, fans, etc

EDIT : And heres another locomotives for the set, the 442 Class, now finished ^w^ THis one was rather easy for me to do.
Attachments
nswgr-loco.png
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

NekoMaster wrote:Also I find that when I don't dither it, the sprites look too basic even with the details like radiators, vents, fans, etc
I've found making the roof details black can help a lot with CC vehicles.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

If you didn't already know about these: http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... ite_sheets
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Alright so I modified the 442 Class a little, using dark grey/black for the roof litter. It looks a little better in my eyes though we'll see how others view it.

Ive also started work on the 80 Class. It's more or less a slightly faster, heavier, and higher traction version of the 442, being that the 80 Class was made to fill in the last of the order NSWGR made to AE Goodwin, who went bankrupt and so ComEng filled the last of the order and produced the 80 Class. The roof above the cab's is a little difficult to draw being it had a shallow angled barn roof look.
Attachments
nswgr-loco.png
(12.06 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I've been working on a Tangara for the 2CC set - here's a preview:

(you may use any of my graphics in this set - I believe I've already given you some of my Australian stuff fron the 2CC set) :wink:
Attachments
tangara.png
tangara.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Emperor Jake wrote:I've been working on a Tangara for the 2CC set - here's a preview:

(you may use any of my graphics in this set - I believe I've already given you some of my Australian stuff fron the 2CC set) :wink:
Not bad, if it doesnt stick out to much I'll see about adding it to the set. Do you have the specs for it?
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

NekoMaster wrote:I've never had a problem with using GRF Maker for un-articulated locomotives, but thats about all I use it for. Steam engines will just have to use a generic tender till I can get a coder.
If you want a copy of the "Swedish Trains" GRFMaker project to look at, just answer here or PM me. There are engines, wagons, some steamers, some example of livery refits and a road bus in there (and probably some mistakes, too).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

AndersI wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I've never had a problem with using GRF Maker for un-articulated locomotives, but thats about all I use it for. Steam engines will just have to use a generic tender till I can get a coder.
If you want a copy of the "Swedish Trains" GRFMaker project to look at, just answer here or PM me. There are engines, wagons, some steamers, some example of livery refits and a road bus in there (and probably some mistakes, too).
That may help, since I do plan on adding steam engines evetually
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

how many engines do u have of now? i must say, i praise your work. :bow: hopefully those kittens i got yesterday wont scratch me now.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Spirit of Trains wrote:how many engines do u have of now? i must say, i praise your work. :bow: hopefully those kittens i got yesterday wont scratch me now.
I dunno, i haven't really been working on this. Been caught up with life and Simcity 4 and Cities XL
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

how did u get simcity 4? i got mine in a pack with others.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Spirit of Trains wrote:how did u get simcity 4? i got mine in a pack with others.
I originally bought Simcity 4 years ago, but the CD's got too scratched so now I just download SC4 Deluxe when I need to and activate it with my legit SC4 Deluxe key.
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

i also own deluxe, pretty cool. havent played it in a while, since school started. i wish i have time to continue progress on the abandoned Revival United States Trainset. homework caught up to me.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Spirit of Trains wrote:i also own deluxe, pretty cool. havent played it in a while, since school started. i wish i have time to continue progress on the abandoned Revival United States Trainset. homework caught up to me.
Even when i was in high school and had tons of homework and projects, i still made time for my own fun.
Flygon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Flygon »

Emperor Jake wrote:I've been working on a Tangara for the 2CC set - here's a preview:

Any chance this could also be transformed into the cursed 4D EMU from Melbourne? :twisted:

Return to “Graphics Development”