OpenGFX+ Trains development thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenGFX+ Trains development and translations thread

Post by Kogut »

Now suitable fs RV (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=914684#p914684) and I am happy.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Transport of chemicals and fuel oil / petrol on flatbed wagons?

I like those sprites a lot, but I'm not entirely sure whether it's conceptually right :-)
Attachments
chemicals and petrol on flatbed
chemicals and petrol on flatbed
Coopers #188, 03-08-2854.png (161.3 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

I also like the sprites I'd say use them anyway regardless of concept, it is a game and doesn't have to be 100% accurate looks are more important IMO.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

In order to not spam the FIRS thread, I'll reply here:
andythenorth wrote:
planetmaker wrote:you may recognize the vehicles which act as farm supplies, though ;-)
You probably want to turn the lights off on those tractors :twisted:
Kogut wrote:I thought about this, but it is probably sun reflecting from glass lights.
Exactly :-) We always have sunny weather here, after all ;-)
NekoMaster wrote:Though a little off topic, could we have a option for just Freight wagons for sets that have passenger cars but no freight (Cs Trains and GES)
That seems not really necessary IMHO. Having two passenger wagons is not that bad; especially as this set provides livery override for some engines, it's also technically not easily possible.
lawton27 wrote:I also like the sprites I'd say use them anyway regardless of concept, it is a game and doesn't have to be 100% accurate looks are more important IMO.
Yep, indeed. I guess it might be a good idea to have them quite low capacity for these liquids though. This in order to give a reason to also use the tankers for these cargos :-)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

planetmaker wrote:And another screenshot of the tank wagons (when used with FIRS)
Those look really nice :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Hi all!

Attached are colour variants for the coal, iron ore, grain, copper ore and fruit waggons... I have also included 2cc variations. There are 9 colour variants for each one; all combinations of a cc/grey/2cc base structure and cc/grey/2cc detail, just pick your favourite 4 (or 8!).

I have also included some of my very old train sprites I made at one point which may (or may not :) ) be useful. I have taken these about as far as I can with my level of skill (read: impatience) so if anyone wants to use them as a basis for additional trains feel free!
Attachments
BulkColourVar.zip
(82.66 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
shapes.png
shapes.png (9.84 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
Trains.png
Trains.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

He, nice :-) Looks like a train lego puzzle - just pick the parts and assemble away :-) I'm not entirely sure, without comparison right now I have the feeling that the IC versions might be a tad too small in comparison to the default rolling stock.

Some other idea I dwelt on yesterday, but don't really know how it'll look until I can test with real sprites: it'd be nice to have a flatbed wagon without CC. And then the container or possibly vehicle or barrels with a touch of CC. It might make for some interesting variety in colour :-)
Possibly I should try and see how that abuse of company colour looks with the box cars ;-) when randomly some wagons are not in CC.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Making CC and non-CC versions of the flatbeds will be very simple... I think I will just go through the all default waggons and make a load of colour variants now I have my conversion technique streamlined :) I'm sure at least some of the graphics will be useful!

I drew some container waggon sprites at some point too... I'll dig those out and make some colour variants.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:Making CC and non-CC versions of the flatbeds will be very simple... I think I will just go through the all default waggons and make a load of colour variants now I have my conversion technique streamlined :) I'm sure at least some of the graphics will be useful!

I drew some container waggon sprites at some point too... I'll dig those out and make some colour variants.
What I mean: if the wagon itself is without CC, the cargo can (at least partially) be drawn in CC - which then can easily be varied by recolour sprites, so the containers on the CC-free wagons will only need to be in CC themselves. The same goes with other cargos which could use a re-colour to a random (or whatever CC).

Of course colouring it ourselves with dedicated sprite is another option. Also not the worst. But I'd like to see both tbh - and if it's only that I then know how recolour sprites really work and what they can achieve ;-)
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

What about more randomised look and reusing HEQS vehicles for es and fs? By the way, is it possible to refit flatcars to both machinery fs and container fs?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Kogut wrote:What about more randomised look and reusing HEQS vehicles for es and fs? By the way, is it possible to refit flatcars to both machinery fs and container fs?
Yes. Yes. Yes. and Yes! :-)
(But it needs doing and drawing)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

How about these for some generic container cargo flatbed wagons and their variants? 7 different styles, two versions of each (either CC coloured or not), unloaded and loaded (both CC and 2CC container graphics)... Pick your favourites!
Attachments
Generic Flatbed.zip
(31.53 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
GenericFlatbeds2a.png
GenericFlatbeds2a.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And some heavy equipment on said flatbeds (shamelessly stolen from andythenorth http://tt-foundry.com/sets/heavy_equipment)
Attachments
Engineering Flatbed.zip
(67.7 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
EngineeringFlatbeds1a.png
EngineeringFlatbeds1a.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Very nice! That will make for some nice variety for the container version of the flatbed as well give us some nice ENSP sprites :-) I shall gladly play around with those sprites later. What would maybe be nice are sprites which show different load stages like 0/3, 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 - we can differ there. And given the vehicles or short containers we might go for 0/2, 1/2 and 2/2 as only two might fit onto the wagon. Would that be possible?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It'll probably be tricky to make two of andy's vehicles fit on at once but I can definately do flatbeds w/two containers. Do you know if you can do random CC and 2CC on the same sprite for more colour variation (ie. one container CC and one 2CC)? I can make some car-carying flatbeds w/my cars grf sprites in a similar style too...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:It'll probably be tricky to make two of andy's vehicles fit on at once but I can definately do flatbeds w/two containers. Do you know if you can do random CC and 2CC on the same sprite for more colour variation (ie. one container CC and one 2CC)? I can make some car-carying flatbeds w/my cars grf sprites in a similar style too...
I'm not sure about whether I can easily use CC and 2CC variation in a single sprite. In principle yes, but practically that's (for now) probably too much hassle, varying only CC is easy, though. Still: doing it in 2CC doesn't hurt - it might then "just" be one color varying, the other staying constant, so just go for that :-) - and having both on one wagon is also quite fine, looking at that you provided them so far on separate wagons :-)

Sprites with your cars would be very welcome, too; it'd make for nice ones which support ECS' vehicle cargo - after all they'll produce something else than just heavy equipment there, too ;-). For this end (maybe also with some of andy's less construction-site specific vehicles it'd be nice to have the vehicles in CC and the wagon without (i.e. like your version 2 wagons).

And as a taster, you'll find this in the upcoming nightly build of this set: ENSP with a random varyation of some machinery when transported on the flatbed wagon:

EDIT: added goods container with a small chance to not use company colour (only applies to cargo goods, does not affect containers for other cargos which remain unchanged so far)
Attachments
ogfx-trains-ensp.png
ogfx-trains-ensp.png (48.54 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
goods containers
goods containers
ogfx-trains-goods.png (55.23 KiB) Viewed 5645 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I don't know if these have already been done or not, but here are some sprites I made a while ago for the sh125 livery override... Are there any trains in particular which need override grapics?
Attachments
SH125LiveryOverride.png
SH125LiveryOverride.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:I don't know if these have already been done or not, but here are some sprites I made a while ago for the sh125 livery override... Are there any trains in particular which need override grapics?
The TurboTrain has so far any livery overrides for the passenger and mail wagons (though I just noticed that I broke the mail livery override). The maglev / monorail wagons fit Lev4 and Millenium Z1.

Thus I think the usual suspects could well use some: T.I.M, AsiaStar, Manley-Morel, Dash, SH125 (=this one), Lev3.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I know theres a original vehicle name grf or two around the webs but think we could have a better vehicle name option?

Another thing that would be nice is to have an option to change the fictious stats for the locomotives based off real ones in the tropic and sub tropic.

If I could code I'd probably help with the above but I can't, and even if I could I can't because IM busy with school. Im suggesting these two parameters for the set since this set has already added more to the original trains and so I thought it would be nice to have some other features.

Oh and one last thing, to keep this set from being used with other sets only because it has cheaper wagons maybe have a cost\run cost parameter too like in 2cc set?

EDIT : ONe last thing, this one doesnt have to be added but what about optional speed limits on the wagons so that we dont have 300 Kmh coal and oil trains whizzing around on the map (as much as it is nice it just isn't realistic, far from realistic)

EDIT EDIT : Is it possible to have different capacities when refiting for the same cargo because I might draw up some Covered and Cylindrical Hopper sprites for the hopper car
(3 Bay) Covered Hopper : 30 units (60 for goods\food)
(4 Bay) Cylindrical Hopper : 45 Units (90 for goods\food)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “Graphics Development”