OpenGFX+ Trains development thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: OpenGFX+ Trains development and translations thread

Post by Xotic750 »

colossal404 wrote:They looks nice!
early wagon sprites that have an 80km/h limit until their change at 1970
You mean they get new (probably fully company coloured) spites after 1970?

After 1970, when you purchase these wagons then you get the painted type, like shown here

The wooden wagons do not automatically renew, you have to renew them to the modern type yourself :)
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

New builds available on the backup repo.

Default r756

m4_experiment r757

Again, the builds are interchangeable. Both have some new monorail sprites. The m4 build contains a few reused sprites to fill out the set.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

I thought it would be nice to show you how the 32bpp trains could eventually look against the zbase that Zephyris and others are working on. This is a screenshot from a recent zbuild with the Ginzu A4 and some early wagons on a track, the offsets of OpenGFX+ Trains were adjusted to fit the zbase graphics so don't expect it to look like that if you try it without modification. But it's a nice little teaser :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Nearly all of OTTD´s rendered sprites I´ve seen look like "toyland" and would be unacceptable to me (and a lot of other people, I guess). A fairly decent rendering qualified for this game would look like this one [from "TransportGiant"]:
TG_screenshot_week_05.jpg
TG_screenshot_week_05.jpg (253.23 KiB) Viewed 740 times
although the state of art is already ~10 years old and had its own shortcomings.

What all the amateur renderings are lacking is a creative handling of shades and texture, and primarily, a thorough understanding of spatial frequency and a proper handling of the focal plane(s).

regards
Michael
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Professional renders would always be welcomed by this and other 32bpp projects. Templates, documentation and examples to teach others how to perform such professional renders would also be greatly appreciated by the community as a whole too.

One of the great things about this game is the ability to turn off 32bpp and continue to use 8bpp pixel art (professional or not) for those that are not over enthused by 32bpp rendered art.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

michael blunck wrote:What all the amateur renderings are lacking is a creative handling of shades and texture, and primarily, a thorough understanding of spatial frequency and a proper handling of the focal plane(s).
What all the amateur renderings are lacking is time to model, UV unwrap and texture individual objects in detail. FWIW my graphics are currently a quick first-pass to generate a complete set of usable graphics. Detailing will come later.
TechnoBassAU
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TechnoBassAU »

Sometimes Translations are Totally incorrect Will This be The Case?
Add Me On STEAM
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198043637630]Image[/url]
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

TechnoBassAU wrote:Sometimes Translations are Totally incorrect Will This be The Case?
What translations are you talking about?
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

Here is a Afrikaans translation
Attachments
afrikaans1.lng.zip
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

te_lanus wrote:Here is a Afrikaans translation
Thank you. It is added as of r762 and so will be in the next build.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

michael blunck wrote:Nearly all of OTTD´s rendered sprites I´ve seen look like "toyland" and would be unacceptable to me (and a lot of other people, I guess). A fairly decent rendering qualified for this game would look like this one [from "TransportGiant"]:
I think the main reason is the lack of variety in OTTD. Look at the ground on that Transport Giant screenshot, it has a lot of shades, not that only one or two sprites recurring on every tile.
The second thing is that OTTD is now too colorful, trains which are in daily use are not that clean. The xUSSR set isn't that colorful, and look much more realistic, and they fit for each other, it's simply looks good, there isn't anything which don't fit in there.
xUSSR set
xUSSR set
rs.PNG (164.97 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
And the third problem is with aspect ratio, somehow a less tall screen makes it looks different...
asdasd.png
I reduced the height of the pic
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

colossal404 wrote:The xUSSR set isn't that colorful, and look much more realistic, and they fit for each other, it's simply looks good, there isn't anything which don't fit in there.
Thats why I mostly play in Arctic... as You can see my on my shots!
And... one question! I know there is USSR set in development, but how far is it? My Russian aint that good for reading Russian tt-forums :)
It off topic, so feel free to PM me the answer.
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

colossal404 wrote: The second thing is that OTTD is now too colorful, trains which are in daily use are not that clean. The xUSSR set isn't that colorful, and look much more realistic, and they fit for each other, it's simply looks good, there isn't anything which don't fit in there.
It would be even more realistic if carraiges would be dirty or rusty
colossal404 wrote: And the third problem is with aspect ratio, somehow a less tall screen makes it looks different...
Looks like Industry Giant :-). I think, it would be nice feature to have an option that toggles original/reduced-height view.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

The following language files are up-to-date:
  • Afrikaans
    Czech
    Dutch
    English
    French
    German
    Lithuanian
    Spanish
The following language files require an update:
  • Chinese (traditional)
    Croation
    Norwegian Bokmal
    Portuguese (Brazilian)
    Russian
    Serbian
    Swedish
If you are able to update these languages or supply any languages that have not yet been translated then it would be greatly appreciated.

The current English language file contains the following:

Code: Select all

##grflangid 0x01
STR_GRF_NAME                                                    :OpenGFX+ Trains {VERSION}
STR_GRF_DESCRIPTION                                             :{ORANGE}OpenGFX+ Trains{BLACK} enhances default rail vehicles and extends the rolling stock.{}Designed to fit OpenGFX style.{}Programming: {SILVER}planetmaker, Xotic750, Terkhen{}{BLACK}Graphics: {SILVER}Xotic750, Zephyris,DanMacK, buttercup, molace, Uzurpator{}{BLACK}License: {SILVER}GPL v2{}{BLACK}Special thanks to {SILVER}Yexo{BLACK} and {SILVER}Ammler{BLACK} for their support and contributions
STR_GRF_URL                                                     :http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogfx-trains

STR_NAME_BULK_WAGON                                             :Bulk wagon
STR_NAME_TANK_WAGON                                             :Tank wagon
STR_NAME_COVERED_PIECE_GOODS_WAGON                              :Piece goods wagon
STR_NAME_FLATBED_WAGON                                          :Flatbed wagon
STR_NAME_REFRIGERATOR_WAGON                                     :Refrigerator wagon

STR_NAME_TENDER                                                 :Tender

STR_PARAM_ENGINES                                               :Engine climate selection:
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_DESC                                          :Select which engines you want to add (you could choose another climate or none, if desired. Default will choose the engines which are meant for that climate to appear. 'None' will disable ALL engines.
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_DEFAULT                                       :Automatic (default)
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_NONE                                          :None
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_TEMPERATE                                     :Temperate
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_ARCTIC                                        :Arctic
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_TROPICAL                                      :Tropical
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_TOYLAND                                       :Toyland
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_ALL                                           :All
STR_PARAM_ENGINES_ALL_BUT_TOYLAND                               :All but Toyland

STR_PARAM_KEEP_ORIGINAL                                         :Keep all existing default vehicles
STR_PARAM_KEEP_ORIGINAL_DESC                                    :This setting is included for debugging purposes. You can use this setting if you want to add this newgrf to a running game with existing default vehicles. This is known to cause problems; enable it at your own risk.
STR_PARAM_PROVIDE_RAIL                                          :Provide rail vehicles
STR_PARAM_PROVIDE_RAIL_DESC                                     :Provide rail vehicles. Disable, if this NewGRF shall not provide any rail vehicles.
STR_PARAM_PROVIDE_MONORAIL                                      :Provide monorail vehicles
STR_PARAM_PROVIDE_MONORAIL_DESC                                 :Provide monorail vehicles. Disable, if this NewGRF shall not provide any monorail vehicles.
STR_PARAM_PROVIDE_MAGLEV                                        :Provide maglev vehicles
STR_PARAM_PROVIDE_MAGLEV_DESC                                   :Provide maglev vehicles. Disable, if this NewGRF shall not provide any maglev vehicles.

STR_PARAM_RUNNING_COST                                          :Adjust running costs
STR_PARAM_RUNNING_COST_DESC                                     :Allows to adjust the running costs of the vehicles within this set (e.g, to balance it against others)
STR_PARAM_PURCHASE_COST                                         :Adjust purchase costs
STR_PARAM_PURCHASE_COST_DESC                                    :Allows to adjust the purchase costs of the vehicles within this set (e.g, to balance it against others)
STR_PARAM_COST_AUTOMATICALLY                                    :automatic (default)
STR_PARAM_COST_BY256                                            :1 / 256
STR_PARAM_COST_BY128                                            :1 / 128
STR_PARAM_COST_BY64                                             :1 / 64
STR_PARAM_COST_BY32                                             :1 / 32
STR_PARAM_COST_BY16                                             :1 / 16
STR_PARAM_COST_BY8                                              :1 / 8
STR_PARAM_COST_BY4                                              :1 / 4
STR_PARAM_COST_BY2                                              :1 / 2
STR_PARAM_COST_NORMAL                                           :normal
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES2                                           :2x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES4                                           :4x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES8                                           :8x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES16                                          :16x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES32                                          :32x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES64                                          :64x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES128                                         :128x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES256                                         :256x
STR_PARAM_COST_TIMES512                                         :512x

STR_PARAM_TENDER                                                :Tenders
STR_PARAM_TENDER_DESC                                           :Select availability of tenders for steam engines. Note that when made available, you cannot use steam engines in flipped mode (driving backwards)
STR_PARAM_TENDER_NONE                                           :Do not use
STR_PARAM_TENDER_ARTICULATED                                    :Use

STR_ERR_ENGINE_POOL                                             :Enable multiple NewGRF engine sets = on

STR_ADDITIONAL_TEXT_REFRIGERATED_WAGON                          :Cargo in this vehicle is kept fresh for longer than with other vehicles.

STR_BULK_WAGON_CARGO_SUBTYPE_WDPR                               : (Wood chips)
STR_FLATBED_WAGON_CARGO_SUBTYPE_BARRELS                         : (Barrels)
STR_FLATBED_WAGON_CARGO_SUBTYPE_MACHINERY                       : (Machinery)
STR_FLATBED_WAGON_CARGO_SUBTYPE_CONTAINER                       : (Container)
STR_FLATBED_WAGON_CARGO_SUBTYPE_TRACTORS                        : (Tractors)
The English language file and other language files can be downloaded from the repository.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

The nightly build is now working again, it currently builds the default branch but not the m4_experiment branch; this is something that I will work on.

Things to note are:

1. If you were pulling the source to build yourself then you will need to clone the repo again because of work done to reduce the size, (now just 207MB)

2. Revision numbers have changed (due to repo size reduction), previously we were at r763 but the new repo and builds will show r633+
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Ok, it's been a little while so I thought I would post some samples of recently added sprites.

Nightly build of the default branch is still working fine, but have not automated the m4_experiment branch yet.

No new language updates unfortunately.
Attachments
Millennium and livery wagons
Millennium and livery wagons
new.png (40.09 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
X2001 and updated monorail wagons
X2001 and updated monorail wagons
new.png (57.9 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
CS2400 and MJS1000
CS2400 and MJS1000
new.png (27.06 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

As Michael Blunck said, it indeed does look like toyland, which I agree with at this point as it looks too "clean", without some rather random "mess";
however the primary concern I am having is whether it actually looks better in 1x zoom, not just those 2x and 4x zooms.

(I think pixel art still has naturally better control over every pixel when you draw in 1x zoom, while 1x could already be weird for rendering because of the lesser control it has. Every pixel matters a lot in such dimensions.)

In total, nice work :) I would like to see it a bit more creative, I think it is a bit too unified. But it is a nice step in an interesting direction, to say the least.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”