OpenGFX+ Trains development thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenGFX+ Trains development and translations thread

Post by planetmaker »

Automatical and manual adjustment of purchase and running costs now available :-)

NARS2, UKRS2, Tropical Refurbishment Set, 2ccTrainset, Japanese Trainset and Swedish Trains are automatically detected and costs adjusted, if the default automatic cost adjustment is not manually overridden by these settings. Users of OpenTTD's nightlies will be presented the nice parameter window as shown below, users of the stable version will still have to resort to number-only configuration like 0 0 x y where x and y are the values for the running costs:

Code: Select all

/*
 * Parameter 3: Running Costs
 * 0: Automatic (default)
 * 1: 1/256 
 * 2: 1/128
 * 9: 1
 * 18: 512x
 */

/*
 * Parameter 4: Purchase Costs
 */
NekoMaster wrote:I think theres a grf out there that allows all locomotives in all climates but what about intergrating that feature (along with the original vehicle names\realistic stats)
I noticed that after 1986 standard gauage rail wagons\cars start disappering and when it gets to the 2000's only the passenger, mail, and armored boxcar are left. Bug?
Also, how about a Trailer on flatbed (aka TOFC) just for fun and to make truck to rail transfers of goods and food a little more realistic (I see TOFC's wizz by on the CP Rails once in awhile, usualy hauling goods TOFC's (tools, electronics, etc))
* Having a manual climate switch is one of the ideas, that's already noted: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/1753
* The rail wagons disappearing that early is a bug, yes. Thanks for the notice, seems that copying the values out of OpenTTD's source either failed or is not that straight forward...
* Trailer of flatbed is a nice idea for representing goods transport with that wagon indeed.
Thanks for the wagon speed limits, I'll have a thorough look into that later.
Attachments
Parameter adjustment in OpenTTD's nightlies
Parameter adjustment in OpenTTD's nightlies
ogfx-trains-param3.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 5242 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

planetmaker wrote:Automatical and manual adjustment of purchase and running costs now available :-)

NARS2, UKRS2, Tropical Refurbishment Set, 2ccTrainset, Japanese Trainset and Swedish Trains are automatically detected and costs adjusted, if the default automatic cost adjustment is not manually overridden by these settings. Users of OpenTTD's nightlies will be presented the nice parameter window as shown below, users of the stable version will still have to resort to number-only configuration like 0 0 x y where x and y are the values for the running costs:

Code: Select all

/*
 * Parameter 3: Running Costs
 */

/*
 * Parameter 4: Purchase Costs
 */
NekoMaster wrote:I think theres a grf out there that allows all locomotives in all climates but what about intergrating that feature (along with the original vehicle names\realistic stats)
I noticed that after 1986 standard gauage rail wagons\cars start disappering and when it gets to the 2000's only the passenger, mail, and armored boxcar are left. Bug?
Also, how about a Trailer on flatbed (aka TOFC) just for fun and to make truck to rail transfers of goods and food a little more realistic (I see TOFC's wizz by on the CP Rails once in awhile, usualy hauling goods TOFC's (tools, electronics, etc))
* Having a manual climate switch is one of the ideas, that's already noted: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/1753
* The rail wagons disappearing that early is a bug, yes. Thanks for the notice, seems that copying the values out of OpenTTD's source either failed or is not that straight forward...
* Trailer of flatbed is a nice idea for representing goods transport with that wagon indeed.
Thanks for the wagon speed limits, I'll have a thorough look into that later.
If you feel like tweaking the speed limits a bit go ahead, if you want limits for the passenger , mail, and armored cars then lemme know.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And some steel flatbed graphics, including 2 loading stages, 2 colour schemes, 6 variants and two cargo "loading methods" (download the zip to see what I mean!).
Attachments
Steel Flatbed.zip
(59.43 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nice again :-) I'd call it lying and standing positions for the rolls of steel. I wonder does it make sense to mix it arbitrarily within a train? Or only among different trains?

Update from the last evening: livery override for all MU trains for the valuables wagon (the turbotrain uses the same graphics currently for mail and valuables) and the possibility to manually select the climate which is used for the engine choice (independent of the actual climate). The crazy ones can also select all engines in all climates (makes it also for me easy to test changes without the need to check each climate ;-) ).
colossal404 wrote:Shouldn't the locomotives and the train cars be positioned down tot he dark grey line in the buy-menu?
Thanks, that's partially dealt with now (for all wagons and MU trains). I'll need to provide sprites for all other engines as well in order to solve it entirely. That'll be done in time, too, though.

EDIT: done now ;-)
Attachments
parameter window with climate selection
parameter window with climate selection
ogfx-trains-climateselcection.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
MUs with valuables, mail and passenger wagon
MUs with valuables, mail and passenger wagon
ogfx-trains-mus2.png (15.87 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
Last edited by planetmaker on 29 Nov 2010 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

In train 7 loco is lower than wagons and it would be nice to do sth with yellow, like in 4.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Kogut wrote:In train 7 loco is lower than wagons and it would be nice to do sth with yellow, like in 4.
He, yes. I made the screenshot before I applied the offset correction for depots :-)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I would say randomise the standing/lying graphics within a train... If it was randomised on a per train basis it would look like two different cargoes.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Right. Here we go in r183:

Btw, you should still adjust your colour palette ;-)
Attachments
steel on flatbed wagon
steel on flatbed wagon
ogfx-trains-steel.png (48.37 KiB) Viewed 5105 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Now, I think there have been sufficient changes to warrant a release in order to make the recent additions available to a big larger public. Translators may want to update the enclosed texts and parameter descriptions so that the updates can become part of the next release(s). The English language file is attached below. Please provide translations UTF-8 encoded.

Also I got already the first request for new graphics:
"the dual head engines (those that take cargo and can be refitted) shouldn't look like passenger wagons when e.g. mail is transported" :-) - that affects the Dash, Manley-Morel and SH125 engines.
Attachments
default.lng
English language file
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

planetmaker wrote:"the dual head engines (those that take cargo and can be refitted) shouldn't look like passenger wagons when e.g. mail is transported" :-) - that affects the Dash, Manley-Morel and SH125 engines.
Hmmm, nice idea, I'll have a look at that :) It is just those three trains right?
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Zephyris wrote:
planetmaker wrote:"the dual head engines (those that take cargo and can be refitted) shouldn't look like passenger wagons when e.g. mail is transported" :-) - that affects the Dash, Manley-Morel and SH125 engines.
Hmmm, nice idea, I'll have a look at that :) It is just those three trains right?
And (I think) the Turner Turbo and the X2001 monorail.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Like these?
Attachments
Manley-MoreyEngineOverride.png
Manley-MoreyEngineOverride.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
DashEngineOverride.png
DashEngineOverride.png (2.88 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
SH125EngineOverride.png
SH125EngineOverride.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

If I find the specs for the Locomotives in the Arctic and Tropical climates would you guys include "Realistic Locomotive Specs" for a parameter?
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Btw. the sprite sizes and offsets will be the same as the existing opengfx engine sprites, and the palette issue should be fixed...

*edit* And car flatbed sprites... CC and 2CC cars as cargo (is this ok for random recolouring?), standard flatbed offsets and correct palette
Attachments
CarsFlatbeds.zip
(49.52 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
CarsFlatbeds1b2.png
CarsFlatbeds1b2.png (4.11 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And some lumber style flatbeds...
Attachments
LumberFlatbeds.zip
(65.43 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
LumberFlatbeds1a2.png
LumberFlatbeds1a2.png (4.46 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And some processed metal flatbed sprites, could be aluminium/sheet metal/large processed ingots...
Attachments
MetalFlatbeds.zip
(44.7 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
MetalFlatbeds1b.png
MetalFlatbeds1b.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

And a second kind of containier-like wagons, this time fixed boxes rather than removable intermodal-like containers on flatbeds...
Attachments
GenericBoxCar.png
GenericBoxCar.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
GenericBoxCar.zip
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Very nice :-) - that'll keep me busy already for a bit, especially as an an otherwise also busy rest of the week is ahead and also have some nice sprites from DanMacK waiting for integration as well (a caboose, a few updated and some new engines for the arctic climate) ;-) Could you check the sprites for the half loaded lumber and metal? I fear the cargo might be jumping when the wagons drive around a corner.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Zephyris wrote:And some processed metal flatbed sprites, could be aluminium/sheet metal/large processed ingots...
THis kinda looks like closed Coil Cars. Perhaps you could include a open sprite for when its loading

What about a Auto rack and a inter model container car (like the ones usually seen in North America)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Good spot, the 4th and 8th orientations of the metal flatebed are swapped and the 5th of the lumber flatbeds is an identical copy of the 1st... I'll try and fix them at some point tomorrow, within the same offsets so you can just slot the new images into place :)

Return to “Graphics Development”