Motorways?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

D-ivid
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Motorways?

Post by D-ivid »

Yeeeesssssssss!!!

Please, I want motorways in OpenTTD.
Also would be nice to their level crossings.

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Just build it...
or what stops you?
Find more crazy road stuff for example in this game: http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/PublicServe ... gameid_171
Attachments
highway-crossing.png
highway-crossing.png (186.65 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

It's OFF there, but can I ask od what game is this in?
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

I was thinking the same thing.. Is it a simcity game?
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

It looks like Sim city 4 to me.

By the way would be possible for a road, to check for an adjacent parallel road and display a different ground sprite?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Currently not - a road set is a simple sprite replacement at the moment, with no ability to change sprites conditionally.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

colossal404 wrote:
isnt that http://www2.citiesxl.com/ ?
Member of the
ImageImage
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

colossal404 wrote:
colossal404 wrote:
Oh, I found it, it's Hrd Truck Tycoon.
oberhümer wrote:Currently not - a road set is a simple sprite replacement at the moment, with no ability to change sprites conditionally.
AFAIK it's possible, but it eats CPU, because the game hae to check every tile of road in every millisecundum.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Sorry to dig this up, but I guess this is relevant here...
Dudoronron wrote:So what does everyone think of this idea? Feasable? A pipe dream? The graphics in the mock-up above suck?
I think it's a brilliant idea, so good that I decided to steal it for my own object set (hope you don't mind). The screenshot below proves that this is very feasible! Maybe still a dream for some of you, but reality in my game. The image below is in fact not a mockup but actual buildable objects alongside two stretches of road!
Attachments
motorway.png
motorway.png (4.64 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

FooBar wrote:Sorry to dig this up, but I guess this is relevant here...
FooBar, that looks fantastic; i take it that the tile between the two roads and the tiles on the outside are NewObjects? Are they drag-able?

Great stuff :bow:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Those are indeed newobjects. Currently unfortunately not draggable, as the game doesn't support dragging objects but hopefully will one day...

EDIT: these will be part of my Dutch Road Furniture set by the way; I wasn't too clear about that in my previous post here, but now there should be no confusion about that left :P
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

FooBar wrote:... not a mockup but actual buildable objects alongside two stretches of road!
Bravo! An excellent use of newobjects. How about some screenshots of "curves" (as best as these TTD type games can make them)?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
FooBar wrote:... not a mockup but actual buildable objects alongside two stretches of road!
Bravo! An excellent use of newobjects. How about some screenshots of "curves" (as best as these TTD type games can make them)?
Just visit the release thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56316 (or try out ingame) :-)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I currently only have hard shoulder curves coded. Currently working on getting the third lane curves drawn.

Here's a mockup of and inside and outside curve. The outside third lane workes out great I think. The inside curve not so much, but I guess there's not much you can do about that, given that the curve of the inside lane of the regular road itself is already very thight. Not too happy with that, but it'll have to do. There's no point in redrawing all the roads, as vehicles will follow this exact line and not something else I would draw.
Attachments
Untitled-3.png
Untitled-3.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

As you say, the inner corner is pretty bad, why dont you just make it as another 90 degree turn like the original road and have done with it, itll look better than the lane that gets wider and then narrower.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I redid the corner sprites and they're now slightly better. I don't want to make it completely 90 degree, as that will look weird also, not very motorway-ish. It's funny how the east and west corner have this problem, while north and south are just fine!

Nevermind the bit in the middle. That's what you get with an impossible motorway configuration.
Attachments
insidecorners.png
insidecorners.png (5.75 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

that is because the original sprites have a strange shape or gradient in the corner
Dudoronron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dudoronron »

FooBar wrote:Sorry to dig this up, but I guess this is relevant here...
Dudoronron wrote:So what does everyone think of this idea? Feasable? A pipe dream? The graphics in the mock-up above suck?
I think it's a brilliant idea, so good that I decided to steal it for my own object set (hope you don't mind). The screenshot below proves that this is very feasible! Maybe still a dream for some of you, but reality in my game. The image below is in fact not a mockup but actual buildable objects alongside two stretches of road!
I've only just noticed this but I am compelled to say that it looks delicious. I also had a quick look at the screenshots of said set, and I must say, very nice work indeed!

Return to “Graphics Development”