Dutch Trainset v2.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Which DMU do you find better looking

Poll ended at 06 Feb 2013 11:59

DE-III (plan U): http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_U
38%
DE-IV (Ram): http://www.stichtingtee.nl/nl/trein/geschiedenis
63%

Total votes: 24

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset v2.0 being developed

Post by FooBar »

Woo, lots of replies :)

@BlueEagle:
30/40 is how it should be. Previously both had 10 (numbers ar arbitrary of course)

Currently vehicles that existed for a short period of time already have a short life. This to reflect their real life uselessness.
For vehicles that are still in use now some guesstimates can be made. Maybe take an average of similar older models.

@Irmo:
That is right, except that it doesn't cost anything. I'd like some option to pay for refurbishment, but that doesn't seem feasible.

@Pikka:
I don't use autorenew, as I prefer to replace with a newer model. Always happens that a train is renewed and a new model comes out a year later. And then you're stuck with the old for 19 years.
Autoreplace only works to some extent. It doesn't handle different train lengths very well. I use it where I can, but end up doing a lot of manual adjustments.

Yes, realisms. I do aim to give an historic overview of Dutch railways as best as possible. That means some models will only be available for a short time, but there always are plenty others to choose from. I've found that this doesn't really harm gameplay, because the differences between models are smaller as well. You simply end up not using all models. And on the plus side, there aren't many "can you include this train" requests :P
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:There actually was a bug with the loading speeds of multiple units, they should've been multiplied with the amount of vehicle segments.
I would also have expected different, I would have expected that each articulated part would get its own loading speed.
My last game with this set made me ponder the vehicle life. That is the time when a vehicle gets old, currently 20 years for most vehicles. I found this too short, I was replacing vehicles more than anything else.
There are options three:
1) Leave it as is.
2) Increase to some new default for all vehicles, say 25 years.
3) Set the time from real life first service to last service as vehicle life. Some vehicles may get a life of 50 years or more.
I'm mostly interested in what people say about option 3. This means that the vehicle life will be equal to the time a vehicle is available for purchase. It does not take into account that many long-lasting vehicles were once or twice refurbished (this being the reason they have such a long life).
I think it is fine to increase vehicle life. And most of the time trains drive around longer than they are for sale, so it might even be fine to have model life and vehicle life almost the same.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

PikkaBird wrote:For a "realistic" set with a lot of vehicles, I'd say a model life of around 50 years and a vehicle life of around 25 is good - perhaps a bit longer for steam engines, and a bit shorter for MUs.
i set the vehicle life to (last used-last introduced) and the model life to (last used-first introduced). this seems generally fine, except for some niche vehicles which could use some manual adjustment
Setting the retire vehicle early property to around 10 years is also a good idea; it ensures people don't buy vehicles immediately before their reliability starts to deteriorate.
i make this even higher. i want a vehicle purchased at the last possible moment have full reliability for its entire lifetime, which seems to be (vehicle life - 4).

also i use thiis to prevent the vehicle list from overflowing, by retiring a vehicle when the next vehicle of the same type/usage becomes available. (this adjusts the model life and the retire early up or down a bit)
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

templated FLIRT 3 NL version:
dutch_flirt_3.png
dutch_flirt_3.png (6.39 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
purch_flirt3_nl.png
purch_flirt3_nl.png (1 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
Whitefang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whitefang »

Is it me, or are the top speeds for the passenger coaches a bit low? In my game, as of 1919, the fastest mail coach has a top speed of 101 kph, but the fastest passenger coach has a top speed of only 80 kph.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

On paper, it's just a difference of 13 MPH. In reality, on a train in 1919, you're gonna feel a huge difference in ride between 50 MPH and 65 MPH. Mail sacks aren't complaining.
Whitefang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whitefang »

I see, thanks for the explanation.
Mahoo76
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mahoo76 »

When NS Hispeed 186 + ICR carriage is travelling in NW direction, the second wagon is misaligned. Other directions are ok.
Using OTTD 1.4.4.
DT 2.0.0.
Attachments
Barthill Transport, 28th Sep 2024.png
Barthill Transport, 28th Sep 2024.png (504.63 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

So if the new Eurostar's going to be travelling to Amsterdam, surely it shuld be considered for inclusion in this set? It could be a simple recolour and slight modification of the ICE3. :P
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

I've noticed that there is still a problem (bug?) with livery refitting for many EMUs in this set. The other trains in a consist automatically change to the livery ID set to the first EMU in the consist. Sometimes that results in strange combinations of liveries, but apart from that you just want to be able to choose the livery you want yourself. It seems to be a problem for "Mat' xx" EMUs only.

On another note, apart from the earlier mentioned yellow/blue Traxx livery, the Breng and (oops it is included) Connexxion Valleilijn liveries for the GTW 2/8 are not included in the set: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadler_GTW#Nederland
Veolia also recently started using former Syntus LINT DMU's: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_boere/15023426214/

Also interesting to note may be that NS actually will order Stadler FLIRT EMUs, not instead of but in addition to the CAF EMUs! They will both be used on Sprinter services. That means the sprites made before will not be fictional if the design will be kept the same as in the earlier artist impression.
It is said that the NS FLIRTs will be delivered as 3-car and 4-car EMUs (although that's still a bit unclear). Something that is certain though, is that Abellio (a subsidiary of NS) will receive 2-car FLIRTs in R-Net livery for the line Alphen aan de Rijn - Gouda.
(Source: http://www.treinreiziger.nl/kennisnet/m ... _ns-146682)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

IrmoTrainfan wrote:I've noticed that there is still a problem (bug?) with livery refitting for many EMUs in this set.
Problem yes. Bug no. It's either this or we have to drop the feature to carry mail for there EMUs. I'm not sure what's best. I kinda like the mail feature.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Would it be possible to re-shuffle the livery IDs so that different trains end up with the same liveries when coupled together? Or does it not work like that? I ask because I've run into this problem and there's definitely a pattern to it.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

I cannot speak for this NewGRF, but generally, livery handling in the NewGRF specs is very inflexible. you cannot properly reshuffle livery IDs to match up, because you cannot have any gaps. so this works only when all the liveries are the same for all vehicles involved.

in an ideal world, the entire mechanism for livery refits would be replaced by something flexible and useful
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Eddi wrote:...
True, but now it's mostly random. So I think the order can be improved. But I agree, the main problem is that livery refits aren't really supported by the game. We're mostly misusing a system that was never designed for this purpose.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I've found a way to make a specific livery combination for the time being: Just buy the train in the year of the livery you want and refit it to "Construction year livery" (this means using the date change cheat of course)
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

The RET SG3 metros are now also getting the R-Net livery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfbe4xM7ZwA
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

IrmoTrainfan wrote:The RET SG3 metros are now also getting the R-Net livery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfbe4xM7ZwA
If I've got this right - same as the grey livery (with greenish-red diagonal stripes) but with red instead of gray doors? Will be done ASAP. :wink:

EDIT: Here you go... :lol:

EDIT2: Deleted file - new corrected file in the following post.
Last edited by Voyager One on 05 May 2015 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

God that was fast! 8)

The only differences are the red doors and the R-Net logo instead of the RET logo on the middle car.

I also noticed that it seems like you placed the RET logos slightly incorrectly on one end car of both the normal livery and the R-Net livery. If you look carefully to the video I just posted you can see that the RET logo of one end car is placed near the cab and the other end car has it placed near the middle car.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Hmmm... you're right. I haven't noticed it before... Nevertheless, corrected all, new file here ready to be used.
(ignore mockup trainsets at the bottom, I didn't bother to correct those)

(EDIT: Deleted file due to another error)
Last edited by Voyager One on 05 May 2015 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Nice! The sprite of the R-Net livery middle car still seems to have the RET logo instead of the R-Net logo though... :oops: (this: https://youtu.be/mfbe4xM7ZwA?t=43s)

Return to “Graphics Development”