(OpenTTD) North American Road Vehicle Set (NARVS)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Do you use North American Road Vehicles?

Yes
76%
No
11%
What is NARVS?
13%

Total votes: 45

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: (OpenTTD) North American Road Vehicle Set (NARVS)

Post by Emperor Jake »

I have only seen purple used on the 3 sets whose topics I posted in. I believe the LRVS was the first...
I want to try and prevent any more vehicles from catching this horrible and contagious disease, because in the last few months 3 sets have appeared that have this; otherwise everything from the early days of TTDP onwards has been mauve (or rarely grey)
KillerB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KillerB »

Is there a list of vehicles in the current nightly? I can't tell whether I'm seeing them all or not.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

KillerB wrote:Is there a list of vehicles in the current nightly? I can't tell whether I'm seeing them all or not.
You probably are, I never really did much yet and it might be awhile till I can. also I dont really have anyone that can sprite or polish up stuff right now.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Now you do! I'm redoing the set in NML and will be adding some extra vehicles (buses and hopefully a few trams to start with). I've finished all of DanMacK's buses and polished up my UPS van, the F9000 and the Orion V (which I think isn't really needed) are the only ones still missing. I'll take some screenshots if you want.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

oberhümer wrote:Now you do! I'm redoing the set in NML and will be adding some extra vehicles (buses and hopefully a few trams to start with). I've finished all of DanMacK's buses and polished up my UPS van, the F9000 and the Orion V (which I think isn't really needed) are the only ones still missing. I'll take some screenshots if you want.
Why don't you think the Orion V is needed? It's a North American bus that was used in quite a few cities (including my city, Oshawa, and Toronto) if you need the sprites go ahead and decompile the grf using grf codec, though I believe bob_Mackenzie made the F9000 and Orion V
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

What I mean is that there already is a city bus (the GM Classic) that covers nearly the same time span, and I will be adding one for the time after 2000. (Besides, I think the sprites just don't look as good.)
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

oberhümer wrote:What I mean is that there already is a city bus (the GM Classic) that covers nearly the same time span, and I will be adding one for the time after 2000. (Besides, I think the sprites just don't look as good.)
If possible it'd be nice if you could get some more trucks because not everyone likes setting up bus routes
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Look, I'm doing what I can. Trucks will come sometime.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

oberhümer wrote:Look, I'm doing what I can. Trucks will come sometime.
Alright, also, about those screen shot, that would be nice :3
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I personally have no problem with a couple different buses. The GM 'Classic' was designed mainly for Canadian Transit operators that didn't like the RTS bus model. The Orion 5 is a later model than the 'Classic' as well, and deserves to be in the set (80's as opposed to 70's for the Classic)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

DanMacK wrote:I personally have no problem with a couple different buses. The GM 'Classic' was designed mainly for Canadian Transit operators that didn't like the RTS bus model. The Orion 5 is a later model than the 'Classic' as well, and deserves to be in the set (80's as opposed to 70's for the Classic)
Like I was saying, the Orion V was used here in Oshawa (OTC and a few for special services with the current Durham Region Transit) and Toronto's TTC. I also believe it was used for some time as some of GO Transits Commuter Buses
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

One thing I wanted to ask: DanMacK, which trolleys did you draw for the North American Roads Set? Some trams would be good for this set too (even if they're duplicate; I would probably change the stats a little).
(OK, I've gathered they're the three pre-PCC ones. Expect them in soon.)

Also, I just wanted to inform people that I've set up a DevZone page for this set, compiled GRFs will hopefully be available soon at http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/narvs. It can be found at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/narvs. If you're interested in doing something for the set, make yourselves an OpenTTDCoop account, post here, and I'll grant you at least contributor rights.

And finally, here are some screenshots before I'm off for Christmas.
Attachments
The current purchase list.
The current purchase list.
Unnamed, 1st Jan 2050.png (102.38 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
All vehicles lined up nicely.
All vehicles lined up nicely.
Elsterhaven Transport, 30th Jan 2050.png (23.68 KiB) Viewed 3195 times

thaddeusthudpucker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thaddeusthudpucker »

heh, I had to laugh at the passenger capacity for the D4500...

Not to be rude, but the most you can SEAT in a D4500 is 55. You might be able to jam 69 people in there, if you made people stand all down the aisle. (I drive these on a regular basis; I posted before that I was in Alaska, but I now live in Portland OR.)

I might also suggest that on the intercity coaches there is some capacity for Mail. The way we play is that there really is no passenger baggage, in sich case all of that space in the luggage bays is going empty.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

thaddeusthudpucker wrote:heh, I had to laugh at the passenger capacity for the D4500...

Not to be rude, but the most you can SEAT in a D4500 is 55. You might be able to jam 69 people in there, if you made people stand all down the aisle. (I drive these on a regular basis; I posted before that I was in Alaska, but I now live in Portland OR.)

I might also suggest that on the intercity coaches there is some capacity for Mail. The way we play is that there really is no passenger baggage, in sich case all of that space in the luggage bays is going empty.
The problem with the later is that unlike Locomotion, OpenTTD doesnt have the ability to have multiple cargos in RV's (only Aircraft has dual cargo and thats only with mail and passenger)

EDIT : And thanks you oberhümer for doing more for this set then I have. I hope that maybe one day I can come back and finish what I've started. I really like those buses, though I'd also like to see some North American Trucks (transport trucks up to mine trucks)
thaddeusthudpucker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thaddeusthudpucker »

Not to worry. It was only a suggestion, I didn't know you could not have multiple cargoes on road vehicles.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

thaddeusthudpucker wrote:Not to worry. It was only a suggestion, I didn't know you could not have multiple cargoes on road vehicles.
Its alright.

Though I wonder how progress on those new buses is coming along, I'd like to see what we have so far (preferably in grf form)
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

The buses probably will be released this weekend, there's not much more to do.

oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

If nothing goes totally wrong, the OpenTTDCoop server should have compiled the first version of the GRF (with articulated buses now) in a day or two - check the release page then.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

After that maybe we should start trying to get some more trucks into this set, after all, thats the main reson I started this set, to provide north American style trucks from goods vans up to 2 and 3 trailer long road trains used in remote areas (like mines or in the Rockies)
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I'll do a few trolleys and LRVs first before starting on trucks, since DanMacK had drawn some already - they can be used to begin with.

...And I would like to announce that the first nightly of the NARVS is up. Once there's enough for a real release, I'll put it on Bananas. Thanks to the OpenTTDCoop people who helped me set everything up, that's mostly Ammler and planetmaker.

Return to “Graphics Development”