Sailing Ships - Development Topic

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.2)]

Post by DanMacK »

You snuck in under the wire there Andy... I was referring to the Merchantman's cargo capabilities ;) Good to hear we'll see some horses on the trams though.
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.2)]

Post by Mouse »

DanMacK wrote:Excellent! Cargo-wise, will it be able to carry everything?
That depends on what you mean by everything! The idea is to carry any bulk and piece cargoes, but not liquids, such as oil, or passengers. I eventually hope to be more specific with FIRS and/or ECS but will have to work out the code.
The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.3)]

Post by Mouse »

Hi

V0.3 is up on front page.

Now works with FIRS and ECS, also added 2 new ships - merchantman and barque - also updated clipper graphics to larger scale.

Mouse
Felix Atagong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Felix Atagong »

Hi, I'm enjoying your sailing ships as I am one of those weird guys that start a game in the early 1800's.

I only have sailing ships enabled (no other boat GRFs) and it struck me that the Passenger steamship disappears around 1870, making it impossible to replace these. Is there a reason for that? (I was planning to have some sailing ships until 2050, just for the eye candy.)

Anyway marvellous work - especially the sails that go up and down at the port...
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Advanced settings > vehicles > vehicles never expire :wink:
Felix Atagong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Felix Atagong »

Well, I have now seen as well that FISH starts in 1870 so both GRF fit nicely.
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

Hi

Glad you like the set!

There is a reason - There is a replacement planned at around that time (will be sail/screw powered steam ship), but unfortunately I am focusing on my actual job right now (damn you, real life!) so you might have to hang in there! Come Christmas/new year there should be another release with a few more bits added as I will have a few days spare, but yeah, as FISH starts about then and the sets can work together, I would use the vehicle ferry etc. I don't plan to make anything that does not specifically have sails, so once the replacement expires (early 1900sish) there may be a bit of a gap (although I did toy with the idea of an 'a la Titanic' steamer to add on).

On a similar topic, if anyone can point me in the direction of a tutorial explaining how to code ship IDs so that they don't replace the default (or so that a parameter can be set that does), that would be really handy!

Mouse
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

basicly use vehicleIDs > \b13 :D
Member of the
ImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sadly I've not heart in a long time any news on this promising set. I noticed some glitches and oddities with this set; it seems that you should supply special purchase list sprites which do not excessive in height; and the alignment in the depot could also be improved :-)
Attachments
sailingships2.png
sailingships2.png (103.95 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

Hi - work is progressing, but slowly! Unfortunately this is taking a back-burner to moving house/job etc, and you might have to wait a while for further updates. Having said that...

I have drawn a schooner, brig, updated the paddle steamer graphics, and started to make a screw-sail steamer. Still not amazingly happy with any of the new graphics - schooner is too fat, brig looks too like merchantman, steamer looks like a floating box on another box - will post screens when I am more happy.

Coding should be fairly straightforward once these are done.

I think I know what to do about the graphics in depot. Maybe drawing them so that they are dismasted?

Mouse
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Mouse wrote:I think I know what to do about the graphics in depot. Maybe drawing them so that they are dismasted?
Just crop them - you can do it with the bounding box settings ;)

This requires using the FF (buy menu) cargo in action 3. I can help with nfo if you don't have that already.

Also...
Mouse wrote:Will work on the shading - I have to admit I had been assuming the light came from bottom right... oops!
It does. You were right, I was wrong when I told you top right :shock:

A lot of newgrfs have it drawn from top right, as do some original game sprites, but if you look at coastlines, sun is to right / lower right. A *lot* of my sprites are wrong :(
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Lower right...? Alrighty then... I've been drawing wrong... lol

Aside from that, we all understand how RL can get in the way, and no hurry on the ships, they'll be done when they're done. The upcoming items seem very promising indeed.

One thing I would suggest, is allowing passengers as well as liquid cargos, like oil, on the ships. Oil can be carried in casks, and A LOT of passengers booked passeage on sailing ships. Of course it wasn't the most glorious passage, but it was passage nonetheless :)

Be handy for those of us that are sadistic and like to start before the advent of the steam engine ;)
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

andythenorth wrote: This requires using the FF (buy menu) cargo in action 3. I can help with nfo if you don't have that already.
I think I might know how to do that - I will probably be in touch!
andythenorth wrote: You were right, I was wrong when I told you top right :shock:

A lot of newgrfs have it drawn from top right, as do some original game sprites, but if you look at coastlines, sun is to right / lower right. A *lot* of my sprites are wrong :(
DOH! Well, the wind is coming from different directions depending on whether you are standing next to a powerstation or airport too. Maybe TT elements do not obey the usual laws of physics!

DanMacK wrote: Aside from that, we all understand how RL can get in the way, and no hurry on the ships, they'll be done when they're done. The upcoming items seem very promising indeed.
Cheers - it is nice to know people are still looking!

DanMacK wrote: One thing I would suggest, is allowing passengers as well as liquid cargos, like oil, on the ships.

Be handy for those of us that are sadistic and like to start before the advent of the steam engine ;)
I don't like the idea of having a whole cargo of passengers as large as the bulk cargo but I take the point. I might clone the ships, lower the capacity, badge them as 'Mail ships' and allow passengers/mail at slightly faster speed (as the holds are less full).

Not sure now why I disabled oil... It seems so long ago...!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Mouse wrote: I don't like the idea of having a whole cargo of passengers as large as the bulk cargo but I take the point. I might clone the ships, lower the capacity, badge them as 'Mail ships' and allow passengers/mail at slightly faster speed (as the holds are less full).
You c/should use callback 0x36 to solve that instead of introducing the same ship twice: http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... perties_36_
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'd also suggest ships carry Alcohol as is in the new version of FIRS :)

If you're not happy with the current new sprites, maybe post screenies of them as-is and we can offer suggestions perhaps? I would suggest having the Paddle Steamer the size of the large Ferry in FISH :)
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

planetmaker wrote: You c/should use callback 0x36 to solve that instead of introducing the same ship twice: http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... perties_36_
Cheers. I'll give that a go when I have a spare moment.
DanMacK wrote: If you're not happy with the current new sprites, maybe post screenies of them as-is and we can offer suggestions perhaps?
Why not...!

Not much changed on the steamer apart from colour of sails, clipper decks have changed from yellow to CC.

Brig and schooner are supposed to take about half the cargo of the merchantman, so are much smaller.

Planned: Larger steamship (not even near drawn yet) and windjammer.
Attachments
Barque, Merchantman, Brig, Schooner
Barque, Merchantman, Brig, Schooner
Screen1.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 5416 times
Clipper, Brig, Schooner, Paddle steamer
Clipper, Brig, Schooner, Paddle steamer
Screen 2.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Looking good! The Brittanic would be an interesting addition for sure. Like the idea of the Windjammer as well.

As much as steamships and such are nice, there's something about a sailing ship...
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

This is the only partially drawn sprite for brittanic class - Thought I would put it up for comments!

Edit: Oops - now in JPEG
Attachments
Britannic sp.jpg
Britannic sp.jpg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

Anyone help with a bit of code?
Trying to use CB36 to change passenger cap on refit.

Code: Select all

31 * 14	02 02 04 //action 2 ID4 Ship
		81 B9 00 FF 01 //search cargo type between 0-255 - one condition
			1E 80 01 01 //use capacity 30 if passengers refitted
			aa 80// otherwise 170 cap.

32 * 14	02 02 05 81 10 00 FF 01 //Action 2 ID5 ship
			04 00 0D 0D //Use action 4 to change capacity 
			aa 00 //or default cap.

33 * 14	02 02 06 81 0C 00 FF 01 //Action 2 ID 6 ship
			05 00 36 36 //Use action 5 for CB 36
			01 00 // or graphics

34 * 7 	03 02 01 00 00 06 00 // Action 3
A little bit at sea, if you'll pardon the pun!
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

1E 80 01 01 //use capacity 30 if passengers refitted

according to http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... n2Vehicles does variable B9 look for 'type B' in this list:
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php?page=CargoTypes

So you might actually be looking for coal instead of pax :) (check with your game and see if you get 30 coal)

On the other hand is there no shame in doing something like

\b30 80 00 00 // 30 capacity if pax
\b130 80       // 130 if not
Remember, you can also do a '15 bit' check here, so you can go higher then 255, but at 32767 at max :) (or 32768 or whatever 2^15 is :D) in that case you add a number to the '80' for each '255' you want, or you can cheat and calculate (most likely with a calculator). Lets say you want 320 as capacity, horsepower or whatever...

32767+300 = 33067

\w33067 00 00 // :D
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”