Sailing Ships - Development Topic

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.62)]

Post by Alberth »

Normally, the setting that disables building infra structure if there are no vehicle, is enabled, and that setting prevents you from building infra structure that is not usable.
While you can toggle that setting, and build it anyway, a better strategy is to find a newgrf that has actual ships in 1897
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Is there anywhere I can download the source for this grf? As it's released under GPL, the source should be available. I'd like to tinker with it ;)
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

I see the project page here.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Sylf wrote:I see the project page here.
Ah, great, thank you! :bow:

Code: Select all

balapapa ~ # emerge dev-vcs/mercurial

leif@balapapa ~/projects/openttd $ hg clone http://hg.openttdcoop.org/sailingships
real URL is https://hg.openttdcoop.org/sailingships
destination directory: sailingships
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 2 changesets with 147 changes to 147 files
updating to branch default
147 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
leif@balapapa ~/projects/openttd $
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Cheshire Cat ^..^ wrote:I'm guessing this grf doesn't work in toy climate? Because it didn't for me.
I've looked a bit at the code, and it appears like Toyland is intentionally excluded:

Code: Select all

climates_available : ALL_CLIMATES & ~bitmask(CLIMATE_TOYLAND);
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

kamnet wrote:There is now a Russian language version of the site (not translator): http://forums.ttdrussia.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4679
Not just translation. Changes in this version:
- added Russian translation
- ship bell sound replaced with less annoying
- fixed image offset bug for ships in dock
- changed starting dates for some ships
- some ship properties changes for better balance
- ship autorefitting enabled for convenience
- cargo_age_period value changed to match value in Squid ate Fish, also it's different for ships - cargo will decay faster in small ships

Brig and Schooner start at the same time, next Barque and Merchantman appear in the middle of 17xx, starting dates for other ships are not changed.

Ship balance was reworked to fit better with Squid ships set. I found that in original Sailing Ships set Schooner and Clipper were too effective making other ships useless.

Big ships (Clipper, Windjammer, Steamship) have reduced speed on rivers/canals, also loading speed was reduced for big ships.

There is also more differentiation in cargo:
Brig and Barque are good for cheap bulk cargo transport but less effective for quick decaying cargo because of slow speed, and they cannot transport mail/passengers.
Schooner and Merchantman are faster and can transport various goods and also mail/passengers, but not bulk cargo, also they have higher running costs than Brig and Barque.
Clipper is good for transportation on medium/long range but has higher running cost than Merchantman and reduced loading speed.
Steamship and Windjammer are good for long range transportation and can be better than early ships from Squid starting from 1860, but they cost more.

For balancing, I compared total price, life in years, running cost and capacity for different ships.

I only made some quick tests for this set, but since all changes are only small parameter tweaks I think it should work fine.
I like trains. They are soothing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

sevenfm wrote:
kamnet wrote:There is now a Russian language version of the site (not translator): http://forums.ttdrussia.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4679
Not just translation. Changes in this version:
- added Russian translation
- ship bell sound replaced with less annoying
- fixed image offset bug for ships in dock
- changed starting dates for some ships
- some ship properties changes for better balance
- ship autorefitting enabled for convenience
- cargo_age_period value changed to match value in Squid ate Fish, also it's different for ships - cargo will decay faster in small ships

Brig and Schooner start at the same time, next Barque and Merchantman appear in the middle of 17xx, starting dates for other ships are not changed.

Ship balance was reworked to fit better with Squid ships set. I found that in original Sailing Ships set Schooner and Clipper were too effective making other ships useless.

Big ships (Clipper, Windjammer, Steamship) have reduced speed on rivers/canals, also loading speed was reduced for big ships.

There is also more differentiation in cargo:
Brig and Barque are good for cheap bulk cargo transport but less effective for quick decaying cargo because of slow speed, and they cannot transport mail/passengers.
Schooner and Merchantman are faster and can transport various goods and also mail/passengers, but not bulk cargo, also they have higher running costs than Brig and Barque.
Clipper is good for transportation on medium/long range but has higher running cost than Merchantman and reduced loading speed.
Steamship and Windjammer are good for long range transportation and can be better than early ships from Squid starting from 1860, but they cost more.

For balancing, I compared total price, life in years, running cost and capacity for different ships.

I only made some quick tests for this set, but since all changes are only small parameter tweaks I think it should work fine.
Two questions:

1. Was this based on the 0.62 source code posted on the forums, or the 0.7 code posted on the repository?

2. Would you consider forking this into a new projected, hosted on openttdcoop, so that others can make contributions such as new graphics and translations?
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

kamnet wrote:
sevenfm wrote:
kamnet wrote:Two questions:

1. Was this based on the 0.62 source code posted on the forums, or the 0.7 code posted on the repository?

2. Would you consider forking this into a new projected, hosted on openttdcoop, so that others can make contributions such as new graphics and translations?
As far as I remember I took the code from repository, custom_tags.txt says "VERSION :0.7", though I didn't see any difference with 0.62 version as there are no new ships.
Modified files are here (includes sailingships_0.7.nml, russian.lng and shipsbell.wav):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1757dn7hc67gz ... fm.7z?dl=0
if someone is interested in changes made or wants to compile this.
Unfortunately I don't know much about that 'fork' thing and how it's organized and honestly I didn't plan to make a new project from it, just a few changes for convenience and balance.
I like trains. They are soothing.
phobos2077
Engineer
Engineer

Post by phobos2077 »

It seems that Sailing Ships all have two-fold less running costs as comparable FISH ships. Is this intentional or a bug? Makes it hard to balance profits for both sets.
anatolyeltsov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by anatolyeltsov »

Does anyone was able to save that modified (aka 0.7) version? And maybe the source files too?
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

anatolyeltsov wrote: 02 Jan 2022 13:01 Does anyone was able to save that modified (aka 0.7) version? And maybe the source files too?
Try this link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHyY3j ... sp=sharing
anatolyeltsov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by anatolyeltsov »

sevenfm wrote: 02 Jan 2022 13:06
anatolyeltsov wrote: 02 Jan 2022 13:01 Does anyone was able to save that modified (aka 0.7) version? And maybe the source files too?
Try this link
Thanks a lot!
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordleng »

Hello.
Comrades, who has a ready-made set of 0.7 versions?
All links are non-working.
And I don't know how to compile.

I'm sorry for my English.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Latest official version is 0.62, you can download it directly in the game from online content menu.
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordleng »

Very sorry.
I wanted a translated language.
Corrected pictures in the depot.
The corrected bell.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

The link for unofficial Sailing Ships tweak is few posts above and is working for me
Compiled version is there also in Sailing_Ships-0.7 folder
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I really like the Sailing Ship's! :lol: Starting in 1770, the ship's are paying off the loans! I refit them to haul passengers! The breakdown animation is cool too!

Christopher Tarana
enthusiast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by enthusiast »

I decompiled the original GRF and added refit-at-station support only to find that sevenfm had already released a tweaked version that does that (amongst other things)! I've made a git repo of sevenfm's code and, unless anyone asks me not to, I'll upload a GRF to BaNaNaS later this week with the name "Sailing Ships (tweaked)" so that more people can benefit from this work.

Here's the git repo https://github.com/cmcaine/OpenTTD-Sailing-Ships

Here's the description I'll use BaNaNaS:

> Wind and steam powered ships 1700 onwards.
> Copyright J Mitchell 2012.
>
> Refit-at-station support, Russian translation, rebalancing to match SQUID ships and some other changes by sevenfm.

Thanks to Mouse and sevenfm for their work!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

enthusiast wrote: 06 Mar 2023 02:20 I've made a git repo of sevenfm's code and, unless anyone asks me not to, I'll upload a GRF to BaNaNaS later this week with the name "Sailing Ships (tweaked)" so that more people can benefit from this work.
I believe that last version is 0.7. If you don't make any changes, leave it at that number, if you do then bump it up to 0.8. As for the description, please make it something useful that players can immediately identify and make a decision to download. Update the readme, include a link to the Github or to the forum here.

You might actually be able to take ownership of the NewGRF on BaNaNaS, given that Mouse hasn't been here in over a decade to provide updates. Send an email to info@openttd.org asking about it. The devs may need to talk it over but I think they would be happy to have somebody take over maintenance on an otherwise dead project.

Also might want to get together with Emperor Jake. He was thinking about doing some modifications to add to SHARK (fork/upgrade for FISH/SQUID Ate Fish). He might be able to provide you with some more insights.

Return to “Graphics Development”