Sailing Ships - Development Topic

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.4)]

Post by Mouse »

So I had a little time to add these to the set.
Windjammer and Steamship compared with Clipper and Paddle Steamer.
Windjammer and Steamship compared with Clipper and Paddle Steamer.
0.5.png (8.31 KiB) Viewed 11837 times

For some reason, Bananas is refusing to let me update the file, as the GRF file is "Not a NewGRF file." :shock:

Any ideas? I've been busy for about a year, so maybe there is a header/additional code I should be using now?
The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

tallships look fantastic, giving new ideas for a disaster...

"prior to 1900 pirates will come and raid your ships"
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

For some reason, Bananas is refusing to let me update the file, as the GRF file is "Not a NewGRF file." :shock:
Try removing the spaces from the file name?
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.5)]

Post by Mouse »

Ok, upload issues now solved - Requires 1.2. :)
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Hey there. Just found a very minor bug. Whether its the set ot openttd's fault but here it is. Misalignment in the exclusive use box. Not a big issue but i thought i might mention it.
Attachments
Windjammer Error.png
Windjammer Error.png (26 KiB) Viewed 11324 times
Ottomobeale
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ottomobeale »

LOVE this set.

Could I request you make one of the early ships take fish from FIRS?

Sorry for the request but I am not a programmer.
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

Ottomobeale wrote:Could I request you make one of the early ships take fish from FIRS?
Cheningville Transport, 15th Jan 1850.png
Cheningville Transport, 15th Jan 1850.png (28.75 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
It should already do that. I suspect you are using v0.4 - Try updating to OTTD 1.2 and then update to v0.5 (which does not work with any earlier versions).

paulicus25 wrote:Hey there. Just found a very minor bug. Whether its the set ot openttd's fault but here it is. Misalignment in the exclusive use box. Not a big issue but i thought i might mention it.
Hmmm... I think I know why that has happened! Thanks for spotting it.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Did you know that OpenTTD meanwhile provides info what kind of sprite it draws? You could remove the protruding masts that are visible in the screenshot this way if you want. See vehicle var 10 for details.

-- Michael Lutz
Ottomobeale
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ottomobeale »

OK sorry for the confusion.

Guess Ill hafta wait for one of the daylength patches to catch up to v1.2 which may be a while. (Yes I know updating the patches is a huge unpaid task) Playing in the year 2020 has zero interest to me and Im there before I know it at regular speed.
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

I currently play with daylength and run a build based off of nightly r23998 which i beleive is post 1.2. My brother compiled the current build. So it is doable. He has apparently refined the art to being able to compile a new version in less than half an hour. However he is a very busy person and only ever works on our own patch selection. The daylength patch pretty much adds a multiplier variable into the calculations for town growth and the bit defining no. ticks in a day and adds the ability to adjust it to the advanced settings window under economy. Works like a charm. No problems no fuss. Current savegame runs on a 5x modifier and loads without issues. So it's all good. Not that this is a place to discuss this.
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

Michi_cc wrote:Did you know that OpenTTD meanwhile provides info what kind of sprite it draws? You could remove the protruding masts that are visible in the screenshot this way if you want. See vehicle var 10 for details.

-- Michael Lutz
I did not....

I will investigate... Thanks! :)
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Old ship graphics [Under development (v0.61)]

Post by bjgttd »

This is a grate newgrf, thank you. The idea to play early year with horses is very attractive, but making a reasonable profit and satisfying passenger/mail demands would be impossible without ships.
However, I wouldn't post a comment if everything was good. ;) It seems like parameters responsible for reliability degradation and service intervals are not properly set up. The reliability stays at max, so ships never go to a depot for service if "Maintenance intervals are in percent" is on. This prevents the Autorenew to do it's job. If I set us "Maintenance intervals are in percent" to off, ships are going to a depot every 50 days, which is insanely too often for ships.
There is another thing - according to your readme the Merchantman comes in 1750, than in fact (in the newgrf/game) it's 1701. Don't know is it a bug or feature. Starting with just one type of the ship (in 1702) might sound "poor", but could be more fun.
This is all based on version 0.5, but the 0.61 just updates the graphics (according your notes).
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

Hi

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

I think I may have tweaked the starting dates somewhere along the line in between .5 and .61 while no-one was looking (including me)! It is set for 1750 in .61

M
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

bjgttd wrote:This is a grate newgrf, thank you. The idea to play early year with horses is very attractive, but making a reasonable profit and satisfying passenger/mail demands would be impossible without ships.
However, I wouldn't post a comment if everything was good. ;) It seems like parameters responsible for reliability degradation and service intervals are not properly set up. The reliability stays at max, so ships never go to a depot for service if "Maintenance intervals are in percent" is on. This prevents the Autorenew to do it's job. If I set us "Maintenance intervals are in percent" to off, ships are going to a depot every 50 days, which is insanely too often for ships.
There is another thing - according to your readme the Merchantman comes in 1750, than in fact (in the newgrf/game) it's 1701. Don't know is it a bug or feature. Starting with just one type of the ship (in 1702) might sound "poor", but could be more fun.
This is all based on version 0.5, but the 0.61 just updates the graphics (according your notes).
What you could also do, is have a depot near a fairly high traffic dock, or even just a dock that most ships serve. Any ship that serves that dock unloads its passengers/cargo, does not load, but instead goes to the depot for servicing. Then, depending on the ship, it could go back to the dock, pick up passengers/cargo, and sail back the other way.

Would look something like this:

Code: Select all

Go to New York
Go to London (no loading)
Go to London Ship Depot
Go to London
End of Orders
I generally do this with trains as well. They only go to their depots empty, as in real life, I have never heard of a train go in for routine servicing with passengers aboard, and rarely with freight trains while carrying anything.
Without Trains America Stops

Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Railwaymodeler wrote: I generally do this with trains as well. They only go to their depots empty, as in real life, I have never heard of a train go in for routine servicing with passengers aboard, and rarely with freight trains while carrying anything.

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who went into that much depot detail.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Nite Owl wrote:
Railwaymodeler wrote: I generally do this with trains as well. They only go to their depots empty, as in real life, I have never heard of a train go in for routine servicing with passengers aboard, and rarely with freight trains while carrying anything.

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who went into that much depot detail.
When was the last time you were on a train and they sent it to the yard with you and other passengers aboard? I tend to play fairly realistically.
Without Trains America Stops

Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Misunderstanding? I do tend to get a bit wordy.

I always play with only empty vehicles going to a depot as well. It is just nice (and a little bit surprising) to find that someone else plays with that level of detail as well. Sorry if I was a bit unclear.

Also sorry for hijacking your thread Mouse.

Off topic ~ End.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Mouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mouse »

bjgttd wrote:It seems like parameters responsible for reliability degradation and service intervals are not properly set up.
Sorted - Updated on Bananas :D
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

Mouse wrote:
bjgttd wrote:It seems like parameters responsible for reliability degradation and service intervals are not properly set up.
Sorted - Updated on Bananas :D
Thank you! Unfortunately, I still can't upgrade from 0.5 in the existing game. Here planetmaker is saying that it should be possible if NewGRF's "version" and "minimally compatible version" are set up properly. Do you even have those set up?
One more thing - it's 1873 in the game and Windjammer hasn't show up yet. Is this something you've silently fixed since 0.5? Is there an incompatibility between your Sailing Ships and FISH (they start in 1870, than the Windjammer is suppose to appear)?

Return to “Graphics Development”