VAST Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Pingaware
Director
Director

Re: VAST Development

Post by Pingaware »

zero.eight wrote:Any tweakage required?
There's something that seems very slightly off with the colours as you get nearer the top of the building - too pale maybe? The garden on top looks almost plastic-like. But apart from that, I'd say it looks great!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I don't like the helipad hanging off the edge like it does. I think it would look quite alright if you squared off the edge of that building. There's already enough buildings out there between default TTD/OTTD and other sets that buildings with various angles and cuts on them that makes them stand out, it's almost overkill.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Hi Zero Height

I really like the VAST object you, i especially love the fact that we can build bridge over some of them, but there is something a bit ennoying i have realized when building scenarios and putting some VAST tiles. If i hit the grow buton in a city where i installed some VAST tiles then they just disapear under new buildings... is it possible to change this behavior so that they stay?

I actually haven t really tried ingame, but i guess it might be the same when cities are growing.

thank you for those really awesome tiles.
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

romazoon wrote:If i hit the grow buton in a city where i installed some VAST tiles then they just disapear under new buildings... is it possible to change this behavior so that they stay?
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. I never tested in the scenario editor so I didn't know this issue would arise. It is due to the setting of the anything can remove flag which allows objects to behave similar to purchased bare land in that you can build anything over them. With this flag set in the scenario editor, no one owns the objects so towns can build over them. The reason I coded it this way was to make construction easier: it's easier to rebuild an object on a specific tile (such as if you want a specific variation) when you don't have to demolish it each time. However, in the scenario editor it has the downside that you have discovered whereby towns can build over them.

Possible solution:
Add a parameter to switch between three values: default in normal game and editor; anything can remove behaviour in normal games and editor; default in scenario editor and anything can remove in normal game.

The latter option would prevent towns from removing objects in the editor and allow easier construction in normal games. The other options give consistent behaviour in game and in the editor. The first option would be the default setting for the parameter since it seems to be what other NewObject sets are using.

Glad you're enjoying the set :)

-D
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Thanks for the reply !

I tested it ingame ,since i posted, and it seems to stay. (but your answer show me that you allready know that :wink: )

About the possible solution, i like your first option.
Hope it won t be too much of a headache to implement it !

I like so much your set that it inspired me,
aqueduc filler tile.png
please copy me or ask me to redo it properly if your interested in including it to your VAST newobject!!(i dont know how to code, and i don t really know which sprites would be needed to be drawed, but i would love to see it ingame).
If your not interested let me know, i ll ask someone else :wink:
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Possible solution:
Add a parameter to switch between three values: default in normal game and editor; anything can remove behaviour in normal games and editor; default in scenario editor and anything can remove in normal game.
Turns out that the third option (default in scenario editor and anything can remove in normal game) is useless. The objects don't belong to anyone so you have to magic bulldoze them in a normal game. I've implemented the first two options (default / anything can remove) for normal games and scenario editor in VAST+ Fences 0.2.0, which is available on BaNaNaS now, and VAST (Objects) 0.3.0, which should be ready soon.

Regarding your idea, it looks good but not possible to implement easily. The bridge arch is all one sprite and is drawn over anything underneath; in this case it means that nothing on the same tile can be drawn over the arch part:
railwayArch1.png
railwayArch1.png (82.75 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
However you fake it by building the object on the tile below:
railwayArch2.png
railwayArch2.png (78.4 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Looks nice but blocks the tile below.

Quick test:
railwayArch.zip
Requires OpenTTD 1.1.0 / r21454 or higher.
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

Something else I wanted to try is railway embankments. Pics when I find a scanner.
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

Great Work Bravo! But this GRF is useful only with the GRF of the new bridges(decks), otherwise it is great!

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

:bow: you made my day !!

sad that we can t implement it under the bridge... but thanks for trying and showing what s wrong with it!
i m adding thos railway arch right away to a game !

about the blank tile in front, maybe we could fill it with some flowers, tables, or anything else that would look neat in a urban area.

also thanks for implementing those options, i just ran into the problem of running a scenario in multiplayer and no one is able to delete some fences next to an highway to connect to it...so i allready know where i m gonna use it

Edit : i just tried it,and it s really nice ! it definetly need something in front though... but at the same time i was going to ask if the railway arch could be also builded on slope to fit properly in place like in the attached image.(btw i haven t told you how i really like your fences that can be builded on slope!! they are so great looking)

Edit2 : as i believe it have to be slope adaptive and empty or not slope adaptive and maybe with more eyecandy on the tile, i would prefer the latter... cities usually don t have so many case like in my exemple
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Added slope awareness. It will need 4 sloped sprites to be complete:
railwayArch3.png
railwayArch3.png (68.07 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
Other changes:
  • Added parameter for removal behaviour
  • Moved to Infrastructure class. Should be the same as OpenGFX+ Landscape windmill.
railwayArch-0.2.0.zip
Requires OpenTTD 1.1.0 / r21454 or higher.
(6.54 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Could put miscellaneous industrial thingies on the grass tile. Interesting link: http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/station4.html.

May I release your graphics under GPL v3?
Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

He would be good to add what that thing(matter), in these bow(arc)
I propose that: when that you build a bridge(deck) on the water
That we find a means to manage to put bow on the water his(her,its) would be great, but also the inconvenience it is that this type(chap) of GRF walks(works) that with the GRF of the new bridges and nothing else

romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

hi Zero.Height

Really nice work! i was not expectingallready some improvements, that s so awesome ! :D

no problem about releasing my graphics under gpl v3. :wink:

about the exemples you gave, thats really cool looking, and it s kind of what i was thinking about (some kind of market). Maybe like in the swedish set but only on one tiles (and cherry on the top would be a randomization for each tiles next to each other...to get colors variation)

but i had also an other idea that could recycle a bit your VAST sprites. maybe simply use a pathway with some trees. it could be used as a large side walk a little like on this photo.
viaducdesartphoto.png
and your idea about industrial thingy, i just love it... the day i had the idea to fill those arch, i was actually using some plain grey tiles under a archbridge to fake a connection between a dock and a truck station on the other side of the bridge... but then maybe a other kind of railway arch should be drawn for this purpose (more industrial looking)?

ok now i go try this v0.2 :lol:
Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

romazoon wrote:hi Zero.Height

Really nice work! i was not expectingallready some improvements, that s so awesome ! :D

no problem about releasing my graphics under gpl v3. :wink:

about the exemples you gave, thats really cool looking, and it s kind of what i was thinking about (some kind of market). Maybe like in the swedish set but only on one tiles (and cherry on the top would be a randomization for each tiles next to each other...to get colors variation)

but i had also an other idea that could recycle a bit your VAST sprites. maybe simply use a pathway with some trees. it could be used as a large side walk a little like on this photo.
viaducdesartphoto.png
and your idea about industrial thingy, i just love it... the day i had the idea to fill those arch, i was actually using some plain grey tiles under a archbridge to fake a connection between a dock and a truck station on the other side of the bridge... but then maybe a other kind of railway arch should be drawn for this purpose (more industrial looking)?

ok now i go try this v0.2 :lol:
Yes ! Exellent Idéa his would be an industry furthermore :)

zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Updates:

This is the revised structure of the project:

Basic NewGRFs

A generic set of graphics available as stations and/or objects. Content will be similar in both NewGRFs, but the Objects NewGRF will have more variety and less restrictive construction rules (since the NewObjects spec has more flexibility in these respects).
  • VAST Stations
  • VAST Objects
Extension NewGRFs
  • VAST+ Fences: fences, railings and walls as NewObjects
  • VAST+ Infrastructure: foundations, depots, HQs as NewObjects and base set replacements
  • VAST+ Industry: Not an industry set but a set of warehouses, shopping centres, parking and roads as NewObjects
  • ... any others
Current status:

VAST Objects is due an NML recode. There are a few graphical changes and additional objects compared to the latest dev version. VAST Stations is very outdated. It needs to be updated to include new graphics and extra stations (this: http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=137454 and associated buildings). That will take a while and there hasn't been much progress on either front.

On the other hand, I've worked on improving V+Fences and creating V+Industry. V+Fences just needs a few extra sprites (see below) for a 0.3.0 release.
vastfences_0.3.0_p1.png
vastfences_0.3.0_p1.png (26.36 KiB) Viewed 4871 times

V+Industry currently has four parts: warehouses, shops, roads and parking. Graphics will adapt to neighbouring objects to give different visual effects and make construction easier. For example, the shop (retail outlet would be a better term but it doesn't translate well) below is made of only two objects types: a "basic" block and an "entrance" block. When a basic block is placed next to an entrance block, the entrance extends across the basic block so you get a nice shop front. Roads aren't traversable; instead they're supposed to blend in nicely with the ground objects and parking spaces. The set is quite near to a release but needs further refinement.
+SwedishHouses+TTRS
+SwedishHouses+TTRS
vastindustry_0.1.0_p1.png (104.94 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
V+Infrastructure is currently a collection of base set replacements for foundations, road depots and HQ stage 5. It's almost ready for a 0.1.0 release.

I won't have much time to do any significant work on the rest of the project for a while, but I will get round to it next year. V+Infrastructure will be easy to finish so it should be available around new year. If it isn't, poke me.

Cheerio

-D
kotssmurf
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by kotssmurf »

Damn that looks incredible.
Can't wait!
PinkMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PinkMoon »

Very nice ! I can't wait ! :D
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Holy smoke!
Swedish Houses Version 1.1 Released
Swedish Road Vehicles Work in Progress
jian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jian »

When??? ?(
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

My free time is approximately non-existent so I'll make some minor adjustments and push betas. I'll get it done within a week. I can work on a proper release around May.

edit: no chance of getting anything done before the end of May.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Just want to give this thread a bump and bring it to the attention of more people. The stuff created here is just gorgeous!!!!

Is it however possible to recode it that similar styles of tiles are grouped in views? So that for example 4 similar tiles get just one object-ID, to reduce the number of ID's being used. The game only has room for 255 ID's for newobjects in total and with a lot of new object grf's (including my work) coming up, that limit is getting very close.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Yep, done locally and will be in Objects 0.3.0.
Attachments
Fledworth Falls Transport, 3111-09-02.png
Fledworth Falls Transport, 3111-09-02.png (20.54 KiB) Viewed 4041 times

Return to “Graphics Development”