[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by PikkaBird »

planetmaker wrote:Yes, I think of 4 rotations.
FWIW to those using av8; since the default aircraft only use NE and SW landing and takeoff directions, only those sprites are cleaned up. The NW and SE oriented sprites do exist, they're just not necessarily very pretty. :)

I guess if other-oriented airports become widely used I'll have to go back and fix up another couple of hundred sprites. boo. :P
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

zero.eight wrote: I've updated the snowy modern hangar and drawn snowy+rotated views for two of the buildings and the runway.
Hm, looking at the screenshot: I wonder whether the hangar's wall is too dark on the inside? What do others think?
PikkaBird wrote:I guess if other-oriented airports become widely used I'll have to go back and fix up another couple of hundred sprites. boo. :P
Well... there's still time, I think, as this set uses features available only in the nightlies and different airports probably will really pick up when there'll be really different airports available. But it might be a good goal for av8 2.0 ;-)
Attachments
commuter.png
commuter.png (96.93 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I was more thinking that the ground inside the hangar should perhaps be somewhat darker, now it looks just like outside.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Or make the outside lighter :p
Looks good imho.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Now you mention it none of the buildings case shadows on to the tarmac - I suppose that's not possible draw?
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The roof pitch of the hangar doesn't appear to be central, is that intended?
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

Hmm, is it intentional that Layout 2 of the Metropolitan airport is exactly the same as the City airport?
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:Now you mention it none of the buildings case shadows on to the tarmac - I suppose that's not possible draw?
Could be done but shadows wouldn't be drawn outside of the tile so it might look odd.

Here's an improved hangar. Fixed the roof and used Andy's fix for the ground sprite. Overall it's a few pixels shorter.

GPLv2.
Attachments
ogfxplusAirports-modernHangarv4.png
ogfxplusAirports-modernHangarv4.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 4258 times
ogfxplusAirports-modernHangarv4.xcf
(36.92 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by zero.eight on 22 Jul 2011 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Building with the tower. These sprites should be aligned properly although there's some excess blue.

GPLv2.
Attachments
ogfxplusAirports-buildingB.png
ogfxplusAirports-buildingB.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
ogfxplusAirports-buildingB.xcf
(39 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Last edited by zero.eight on 22 Jul 2011 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

And the "connectors". Hopefully the rotations are correct.

GPLv2.
Attachments
ogfxplusAirports-connectors.png
ogfxplusAirports-connectors.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
ogfxplusAirports-connectors.xcf
(28.41 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

planetmaker wrote:New Release: OpenGFX+ Airports 0.2.1

[...]
- Change: Rename set to OpenGFX+ Airports
[...]
The name displayed in the online content list in-game is still the old name. When selecting the NewGRF in NewGRF settings, however the new name is shown.

When an airplane enters/leaves the depot of the 180 degree rotated small airport, it has to rotate 180 degrees on the spot. I guess it is because the wormhole entry specify an aircraft rotation that has not been rotated 180 degrees.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

zero.eight wrote:Here's an improved hangar. Fixed the roof and used Andy's fix for the ground sprite. Overall it's a few pixels shorter.
zero.eight wrote:Building with the tower. These sprites should be aligned properly although there's some excess blue.
zero.eight wrote:And the "connectors".
Very nice and beautiful :-)
Zuu wrote:
planetmaker wrote:[...]- Change: Rename set to OpenGFX+ Airports[...]
The name displayed in the online content list in-game is still the old name. When selecting the NewGRF in NewGRF settings, however the new name is shown.
Hm, that's sadly right. But it seems it's not easily possible (i.e. only via direct database hacks) to change the name of an existing project within BaNaNas.
Zuu wrote:When an airplane enters/leaves the depot of the 180 degree rotated small airport, it has to rotate 180 degrees on the spot. I guess it is because the wormhole entry specify an aircraft rotation that has not been rotated 180 degrees.
From your words that sounds suspiciously like a bug in OpenTTD's rotation code for the airports. Do you care to make a bug report for that, please? I guess that'll need Yexo looking at who's currently enjoying his well-deserved holidays and it should not get forgotten ;-)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Hi everyone,
Just a question, I personally think that all of the Arctic Airports should have a small amount of Ice on the runways as there is always a small amount in arctic regions.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

A321Pilot wrote:Hi everyone,
Just a question, I personally think that all of the Arctic Airports should have a small amount of Ice on the runways as there is always a small amount in arctic regions.
In general I do agree with you :-) I gave it slightly lower priority than actually getting the buildings snowed and some rotations ingame (after all, why should people suddenly start to slack off while they now do a 100% job keeping the tarmac clear of ice and snow? :-P )

In short: from POV it's planned, but simply not done yet due to sprites and time.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

planetmaker wrote:
Zuu wrote:When an airplane enters/leaves the depot of the 180 degree rotated small airport, it has to rotate 180 degrees on the spot. I guess it is because the wormhole entry specify an aircraft rotation that has not been rotated 180 degrees.
From your words that sounds suspiciously like a bug in OpenTTD's rotation code for the airports. Do you care to make a bug report for that, please? I guess that'll need Yexo looking at who's currently enjoying his well-deserved holidays and it should not get forgotten ;-)
I've reported it :-)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

FWIW, the other day Skidd13 provided me with the sprites for Combined Airports under GPL v2. If somebody wanted these to work on making snowy sprites and alternate layouts, let me know and I'll pass them on as well.
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Congrats on the release thread!

It linked here, and I have a request/suggestion: Could you add some kind of 'Industrial' airport to the set, for us weirdos that like to use planes to carry cargos besides passengers and mail? It feels weird to build an airport to transport coal, petrol, wood or some other unusual cargo from a remote corner of the map, and have it look just like an inner-city terminal.

I'm sure there's real-life precedent of some sort you could use for graphical inspiration.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Sabre_Justice: Which of the existing airports would you like to re-theme?

At the moment, airports can't change the movement patterns (state machine) of aircraft other than rotating the whole movement pattern. At some later moment the intention is that the state machine is going to be re-definable by NewGRFs, but we are not there right now.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

One could simply plug different graphics on one (or all) of the existing statemachines and call that even a new airport while keeping all existing ones. I'm just not entirely convinced that the currently available movement patterns (state machines) lend itself to a nice industrieal airport. Would be worth a try

Return to “Graphics Development”