[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by Voyager One »

Supercheese wrote:Airship Depots and Airship Stations
Those look aaaaaaaaaawesoooooooomeeeeeee!!!! :bow:
kamnet wrote:May I suggest setting this to debut 1783
IMO, it's not that much about the airport's into date, airplane sets simply don't go that far back IIRC. Heck, you can easily make these first airfields appear from year 0.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Voyager One wrote:
Supercheese wrote:Airship Depots and Airship Stations
Those look aaaaaaaaaawesoooooooomeeeeeee!!!! :bow:
IMO, it's not that much about the airport's into date, airplane sets simply don't go that far back IIRC. Heck, you can easily make these first airfields appear from year 0.
You could just figured I'd throw out a historically significant event there. :-)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:
Voyager One wrote:
You could just figured I'd throw out a historically significant event there. :-)
There already exists a parameter in this grf to permit construction of all airports regardless of current date - indeed, I made use of this very parameter when building these new airfields.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

The Vintage Commuter airport and new Air Depots and Air Stations are now live, feel free to download and test: https://bundles.openttdcoop.org/airport ... sh/LATEST/

Just keep clicking on the button for rotations on the Commuter airport, Helidepot, and Helistation and you'll see them. :D

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

So, I was thinking of splitting the new varieties of airports out into their own entries in the list, to give them better exposure rather than being locked behind four clicks of the rotations button. Thoughts?
Attachments
Entries.gif
Entries.gif (24.34 KiB) Viewed 6652 times

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Supercheese wrote:So, I was thinking of splitting the new varieties of airports out into their own entries in the list, to give them better exposure rather than being locked behind four clicks of the rotations button. Thoughts?
I think that's the way to go as long as we don't get dozens of virtually identical airports :)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

planetmaker wrote:I think that's the way to go as long as we don't get dozens of virtually identical airports :)
All righty, this change has been implemented.
Eddy Arfik wrote:I often extend my airports with object tiles, as do many other people, but it looks funny with the fences in in between the "real" airport and the "fake" parts, so I've made a parameter that will allow to disable fences. Would you consider adding this to the next release?
Eddy Arfik wrote:So I have a new version here, which doesn't have parameter, instead automatically hides the fence where an object or station tile is adjacent. I think this is better solution as it doesn't add strings to need translating. Attached is diff and also compiled grf if anyone wants to try it out.
This feature has also been coded - I combined both of the patches and extended the functionality of the parameter to allow the optional hiding of fences: Never, Always, When object is adjacent, and When object or station is adjacent.

Please feel free to test these new features in the latest push build: https://bundles.openttdcoop.org/airport ... sh/LATEST/ :)
Attachments
Air Depot.png
Air Depot.png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 6560 times

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

A Small Seaplane Port has now been added! The dock graphics come courtesy of kamnet.

The optimal placement parameters for such a port are a bit more in-depth than a regular land airport, so I have attached a .gif to illustrate.

Frame 1: Bulldozing some water tiles to make room for the port, since it cannot be directly placed on water. This step can be very expensive.

Frame 2: Building the port on the bare tiles - A very important but not directly shown step is the use of a bare-water newobject to prevent the airport from being destroyed by flooding. A new bare water tile was added to SNO that can assist in this. Simply bulldoze bare ground around the periphery of the seaport and place water tiles on them to safeguard against destruction.

Frame 3: Decorating the port with some OGFX+ Airport Object tiles.

Frame 4: Av8 seaplanes at the port! Although they do not always align perfectly with the docks in all rotations...

Even with new original dock sprites, alignment compatibility is preserved with the MariCo set, should you desire to make use of its excellent objects.
Attachments
Small Seaplane Port.gif
Small Seaplane Port.gif (195.31 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
Last edited by Supercheese on 15 Apr 2015 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

nice work.

But shouldn't the "air depot" and "air station" be called "Airship Station" etc. ? Especially while translating, it sounds weird (-> when just translating it, one doesn't know what is meant; translated it in my mind into german, french, luxembourgish and..yeah...)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Phreeze wrote:nice work.

But shouldn't the "air depot" and "air station" be called "Airship Station" etc. ? Especially while translating, it sounds weird (-> when just translating it, one doesn't know what is meant; translated it in my mind into german, french, luxembourgish and..yeah...)
"Airship station" is a perfectly valid term to base translations off of. I chose Air Station because of the famous airship base Lakehurst Naval Air Station, the center for the US airship program and infamous for the place where the Hindenburg ignited.

The marine corps also used the term Air Station, in particular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Cor ... ion_Tustin

For German I would imagine Luftschiffhafen would be a good translation.
Last edited by Supercheese on 14 Apr 2015 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Supercheese wrote:I chose Air Station because of the famous airship base
Yeah, but that's a "Naval Air Station", not an "Air Station".
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

How about "seaplane dock" ?
Plord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plord »

WooW supercheese i was stunned with that sea airport, :bow:
This is going the change the life of those small coastal towns (i was always sad about them) not so big to have trains nor close to have road connections.

someday we will have a kansai airport with this advancements.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

If I want to upgrade to the current game automatically GRF crash occurs and the game closes.

It may be true?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

sunshare wrote:If I want to upgrade to the current game automatically GRF crash occurs and the game closes.

It may be true?
Eh, quite possibly. I do not know the criteria for savegame compatibility, and it may well be broken.

If you really want the vintage commuter, air depots, and air stations, this version should still be compatible with games that were started using version 0.4.2.
Last edited by Supercheese on 15 Apr 2015 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

That seaplane port is amazing, what a great idea!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Redirect Left wrote:That seaplane port is amazing, what a great idea!
Well, the idea has been around for a very long time. There indeed was even a previous implementation of a seaplane port, but this did not have rotations, was mutually exclusive with the default small airport, and was not compatible with OGFX+ Airports.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Lovely to see the seaplaneport in this GRF, especially the rotations and the docks!!
:bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A few notes from my discoveries playing with the seaport.

1) Before building the seaport, make sure you have "Build while paused" enabled in your game, and pause the game before you start.
2) The "Bare Water" tile in SNO Objects is not a water tile, but a land tile. It will not let you build this tile on seawater, so you will need to dynamite an extra tile to build the buffer. Do NOT use any of the water objects (like seagulls, etc.), or the airport will flood.
3) You CANNOT have any other type of water tile encroach on this space, including the ship dock and ship depot. Otherwise the airport will flood.

It took me a lot of trial and error when constructing the seaport and building objects around it, but in the end I got to make some pretty spiffy stuff. Definitely grab some other NewObject sets like MariCo and ISR/DWE to play with.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:A few notes from my discoveries playing with the seaport.

1) Before building the seaport, make sure you have "Build while paused" enabled in your game, and pause the game before you start.
2) The "Bare Water" tile in SNO Objects is not a water tile, but a land tile. It will not let you build this tile on seawater, so you will need to dynamite an extra tile to build the buffer. Do NOT use any of the water objects (like seagulls, etc.), or the airport will flood.
3) You CANNOT have any other type of water tile encroach on this space, including the ship dock and ship depot. Otherwise the airport will flood.

It took me a lot of trial and error when constructing the seaport and building objects around it, but in the end I got to make some pretty spiffy stuff. Definitely grab some other NewObject sets like MariCo and ISR/DWE to play with.
Hm, canals actually *could* be coded such that they do not show the stony border when built at sea level (they have a tile_height variable which could be queried to decide on drawing the stones). Currently I cannot think of many detrimental effect: only when there's a large portion of land at sea level where they are built, then they'll not show proper borders. Hm... it would need a nearby_tile_class variable to make it better.

Return to “Graphics Development”