[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Climate dependant airports

Post by ChillCore »

Hello Yexo,
While looking at those airports I noticed the offset for the depots is one pixel too high. I was going to post a picture with a circle but then I noticed all the airport depots have this problem.
It can best be seen when looking inside the depot.
As for the light blue circle above, I think it would be best to have the same groundtile as the airport.(same for the airport below)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hm, are really the depots at an offset or only the backwall? I fixed a similar (the same?) error in OpenGFX by moving the back wall.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

ChillCore wrote:Hello Yexo,
While looking at those airports I noticed the offset for the depots is one pixel too high. I was going to post a picture with a circle but then I noticed all the airport depots have this problem.
I assume you're talking about the problem that the back off the depot is 1 pixel off? In that case that has already been fixed in opengfx (=what you see in the image) and it's also fixed in tonights nightly of this grf.
As for the light blue circle above, I think it would be best to have the same groundtile as the airport.(same for the airport below)
That makes 1 vote for apron (you) and 1 vote for grass (petert).
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Planetmaker:
Front wall too, if you look at the depots that are positioned at the southwest borders. Unless they are supposed to be 1 pixel inside the airport.

Yexo:
Ah, OK will have a looksie tonight then.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

apron!
Member of the
ImageImage
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I suggest to use a different antenna in airports. The current sprite used is the sane than the landscape. Other idea is to use different antennas depending on the size of the airport and the construction year.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

maquinista wrote:I suggest to use a different antenna in airports. The current sprite used is the sane than the landscape. Other idea is to use different antennas depending on the size of the airport and the construction year.
If you draw them I'll be happy to include them. I agree the current antenna is doesn't really fit in the airports. Different antennas per airport or per construction year is no problem at all.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Definitely apron under the antenna
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I've not played with airports much, but one thing I just noticed that bothers me - for the airport that has the terminals square in the middle... how do people actually get to those terminals? All the rest of the airports have terminals on the edge of the property.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

kamnet wrote:I've not played with airports much, but one thing I just noticed that bothers me - for the airport that has the terminals square in the middle... how do people actually get to those terminals? All the rest of the airports have terminals on the edge of the property.
It has an underground connection with the area outside the airport.
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

I agree with everything proposed for larger airports.

Other things:
airport-fences-2.png
airport-fences-2.png (130.3 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
1. The patch of grass on the intercontinental looks odd, especially since the one at the top right is (covered) apron. Could it be apron too?

2. This sprite is missing a piece. Fixed in the attached pcx.

3. Fences look like they are missing pieces in between. Wouldn't be too hard for protesters to get in.

How's this for a mast? Thinner than the original, and has no dishes. But I have no idea whether its suitable. 2 snow-covered versions attached, one has a lot of snow at the base, the other has none.
airportTilesMast.png
airportTilesMast.png (93.7 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Attachments
airportTiles2.pcx
OpenGFX-derived; License: GPLv2
(9.07 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by planetmaker »

New Release: OpenGFX+ Airports 0.2.1

Most changes were under the hood as we re-wrote the whole set in NML. As we make use some new NewGRF features only available in trunk,
this release is NOT available for the stable versions of the OpenTTD 1.1.x branch, but you'll need OpenTTD 1.2.0 or nightlies r22518 or later.
- Feature: Snowy versions of all airports thanks to zero.eight
- Feature: 180° rotation of the small airport
- Change: Every airport tile is now automatically fenced, except the runway ends.
- Change: Rename set to OpenGFX+ Airports
- Change: Fences were adjusted

What we need now are graphics for the additional possible rotations? Any takers?

I've only now re-discovered zero.eights extensive and very constructive feedback - thanks for that :-) I'll have another look as of what of it was inadvertly fixed along the process of the re-write of this set :-) Of course feedback for this version is very much welcome as well.

Meanwhile: enjoy :-)

EDIT: as usual it is now available on bananas and from the DevZone shortly.
One thing is still missing for the snowyness: that's the modern depot. I attached the depot sprite. Does anyone (zero.eight maybe?) feel like making snowy versions of it?
Attachments
Airports in in OpenGFX+ Airports 0.2.1
Airports in in OpenGFX+ Airports 0.2.1
ogfx_airports_021.png (92.63 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
airport-hangar.png
airport-hangar.png (21.64 KiB) Viewed 703 times
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

Hi planetmaker,
I'm really looking forward to seeing other designs and appearances of the airports! :D
I would like to ask which buildings/ground tiles/sprites are needed to be rotated?
Just to avoid confusion, the sprites on the right side of airport-hangar.png should be used, the ones on the left are previous versions only (not for use). :)
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

2006TTD wrote:Hi planetmaker,
I'm really looking forward to seeing other designs and appearances of the airports! :D
I would like to ask which buildings/ground tiles/sprites are needed to be rotated?
Just to avoid confusion, the sprites on the right side of airport-hangar.png should be used, the ones on the left are previous versions only (not for use). :)
Thanks for that clarification :-)

Attached the png which contains all sprites (as most "source" is just a png). There's a xcf (gimp) file available in the repo which contains the source to the small airport building and hangar.

in the attached png it would IMHO need rotations of *every* sprite.
It's easier to list what does not need a rotation: fences, towers, modern hangar, radar dish, the plain concrete tile and the ground tile where planes stop. Obviously the other ground tiles are easily rotated, but the real buildings are not that straight forward.
The buildings need at least two views rotated by 90°, but ideally they have 4 views, the taxi way ground sprites definitely need 4 views.

Ideally all the buildings of the big airports also get a footprint (for all, also for the 0° "rotation") like the buildings of the small airports do already have.

The attached png is released under GPL v2 and copyright by Zephyris, skidd13, zero.eight, 2006TTD and myself. See readme for details.

Cheers,
pm
Attachments
airportsplus.png
airport sprites
(74.24 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I know, small niggling thing I noticed... the windsock is backwards again. ;-)
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

Hmm... I might try doing this after my exams. I would like to clarify which sprites are needed to be worked with.
Are all 4 orientations needed?
Using the numbers in airportsplus.png, I wonder if my interpretation is right.
22-25 not needed
26-31 needed
38-41 needed?
44-47 needed?
48-49 needed
50-73 needed?
74-75 needed? (there is a small canopy in front of the building)
78-85 needed, simple flip, I guess
86-109 not needed
110-113 needed, as kamnet said
114-115 not needed, heliport is independent
116-142 needed?

And I almost forgot, the preview sprite for the intercontinential airport should be updated, I can still see the small airport building in it.
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Yes, I think of 4 rotations.

The answer to all questions is 'yes'. In the case of 50-73 one might look whether a rotation ends up at an existing sprite, but in most cases it will not, thus the easiest is to rotate that accodingly. Easiest are the 180° rotations.

Good spot with the preview for the intercontinental airport. All rotations need in principle their own preview as well. Though I don't expect to be provided with that as it's probably way easier to obtain them from a screenshot once the airport has that rotation.

Btw, while the heliport building IMHO needs a rotation similarily as all other buildings - it's only 1x1 but it's not symmetric and it feel a lapse if it then could not be rotated ;-)
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Great to see progress on this set :)

I've updated the snowy modern hangar and drawn snowy+rotated views for two of the buildings and the runway.

The control tower and "building A" have improved shading for the snowy versions compared to the original I drew. Runway animation colours are fixed - should be continuous in the direction of the runway instead of disco mode. Snowy versions of the hangar were taken from the pm's post. They are slightly different from OpenGFX's sprites (thinner right wall and less roof overhang). I prefer these new ones but it isn't a problem to change them back.

Excluding the helipad (non urgent?) that should be sufficient new sprites to make the snowy and rotated versions of the commuter airport.

I've attached the lot in a single PNG. Would you prefer them as separate PNGs for each building?
Attachments
GPLv2, OpenGFX-derived
GPLv2, OpenGFX-derived
ogfxplusAirports-setA-WINpal.png (15.13 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

zero.eight wrote: I've updated the snowy modern hangar and drawn snowy+rotated views for two of the buildings and the runway.

The control tower and "building A" have improved shading for the snowy versions compared to the original I drew. Runway animation colours are fixed - should be continuous in the direction of the runway instead of disco mode. Snowy versions of the hangar were taken from the pm's post. They are slightly different from OpenGFX's sprites (thinner right wall and less roof overhang). I prefer these new ones but it isn't a problem to change them back.

Excluding the helipad (non urgent?) that should be sufficient new sprites to make the snowy and rotated versions of the commuter airport.

I've attached the lot in a single PNG. Would you prefer them as separate PNGs for each building?
Ho, nice, to see these sprites :-)

Wrt hangars I wonder... did you compare with current OpenGFX? It *should* have in the recent versions the very same hangar as I used in this version of OpenGFX+ Airports. The original OpenGFX hangar was about 2px too wide (it must fit on 64px width, i.e. was larger than the tile) and had - for my taste - a too asymetric door.

You've a good point with the runway lights, they of course need also all 4 rotations for that reason. I shall see what I can do with the sprites :-) I shall look forward to the rotations of the others :-)

concerning sprite separation: it might indeed be nicer to heave the different buildings in their own files. How do you produce the images, though? If you use a (layered) gimp (xcf) or psd file (would make sense to have a separate layer at least for snow, right?). I shall be interested in getting hold of that file, too. It could then be used directly as source and the pngs created on the fly. It would make further changes to any sprite easier :-)

EDIT: this is how I re-arranged it for the small airport: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/air ... /small.xcf (gimp source file)
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

planetmaker wrote:Wrt hangars I wonder... did you compare with current OpenGFX? It *should* have in the recent versions the very same hangar as I used in this version of OpenGFX+ Airports. The original OpenGFX hangar was about 2px too wide (it must fit on 64px width, i.e. was larger than the tile) and had - for my taste - a too asymetric door.
Looks like I didn't update OpenGFX. Yep, they are the same ones as in 0.3.4.
planetmaker wrote:concerning sprite separation: it might indeed be nicer to heave the different buildings in their own files. How do you produce the images, though? If you use a (layered) gimp (xcf) or psd file (would make sense to have a separate layer at least for snow, right?). I shall be interested in getting hold of that file, too. It could then be used directly as source and the pngs created on the fly. It would make further changes to any sprite easier :-)
Sources are attached layered XCFs, zipped since the forum doesn't allow XCFs.
Attachments
ogfxairports-setA.zip
GPLv2, OpenGFX-derived
(26.06 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Return to “Graphics Development”