[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by Roslav »

sunshare wrote: Because you can not implement having two airports with the same name? That would increase the flow of aircraft if one wants to use.
AFAIK the problem here is the implementation of aircraft (and ship) pathfinder and it would see only one airport even if there were 2 joined together, therefore never landing on the other joined airport.

There is a patchpack which fixis it, it is Cirdan's New map features patchpack.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

other question I have is because no new airports is in the form of GRF as the train?
It could make major airports and in different ways such as Huge Airport
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Hey!

I'm not sure where to post this little concern... it feels that its tied more or less with the hard code of OpenTTD, but... the large airports (two last ones). Can I/is there possibly a change that two of them show up earlier? More I play I just have the feeling that they would be nice a bit sooner? Why You ask? Because if I go with the small airports the work what need to be done is so huge (plane numbers) and time consuming in my type of play! I tend to just wait the opportunity to build the larger airports in 90's and so on and don't build the small ones, so I don't use any planes too, but I like to!

No hard feelings... I can have the denial, but just my two cents... :)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

ISA wrote:Hey!

I'm not sure where to post this little concern... it feels that its tied more or less with the hard code of OpenTTD, but... the large airports (two last ones). Can I/is there possibly a change that two of them show up earlier? More I play I just have the feeling that they would be nice a bit sooner? Why You ask? Because if I go with the small airports the work what need to be done is so huge (plane numbers) and time consuming in my type of play! I tend to just wait the opportunity to build the larger airports in 90's and so on and don't build the small ones, so I don't use any planes too, but I like to!

No hard feelings... I can have the denial, but just my two cents... :)
There is an option here in OGFX+ Airports to disable all date restrictions on airports, so you can build any airport in any year. This is a bit of a blunt approach to the issue of the large airports being unavailable in earlier years, but it allows for maximum player choice and maximum sandbox environment.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

What about a configuration setting of "<Airport size> is available: Default|Always|Never|<Set year>"?
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

kamnet wrote:What about a configuration setting of "<Airport size> is available: Default|Always|Never|<Set year>"?
I'd second this :mrgreen:
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

How come I do not have the Seaplane airport? I have all airports except seaplane.
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

This feature is only available in the nightly builds of OpenGFX+ Airports : https://bundles.openttdcoop.org/airportsplus/
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

So, I've been working on yet another feature: Skid marks that appear on landing runways after numerous planes touch down on them. I've always thought that the OTTD runways were too clean, since all of the real-world runways I've seen have some form of skid marks on them where the rubber meets the road.

Some examples: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q1QF69gk684/R ... runway.JPG
http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dyna ... 63162g.jpg
http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_ ... 890260.jpg
(Or go to Google Earth and view imagery of your airport of choice :P )

Even model airports have them: http://4by8airports.com/model-airport-i ... ion-6d.jpg
http://4by8airports.com/model-airport-i ... ion-4b.jpg

And now OTTD can have them:
Skids growth.gif
Skids growth.gif (37.81 KiB) Viewed 6678 times
Skids.gif
(642.44 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
However, this new feature relies on a patch that has yet to be committed to trunk: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6334
You'll need to apply it if you want to test the most recent grf build for yourself.

Each time an airplane touches down, there is a 50% chance that the animation frame will be advanced by one. Once the frame is high enough, skid marks begin to appear and grow until after several hundred landings when the touchdown point is nearly entirely black.

If you don't enjoy this feature, there is a parameter to turn it off.

There is one known issue with this feature: at Intercontinental airports, there is a small chance that an airplane landing at one landing point will make skid marks appear on the other landing runway. If both sets of runways are in heavy use, however, it is likely that this will go unnoticed. All other airports have a single landing runway and do not have this issue.

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

My graphics may not be the greatest, I admit. If anyone would like to improve them, then you need only make the overlay graphics in a single rotation, as the other three rotations can be generated by flipping and rotating (unless you want to go the extra mile and make unique variations for each direction, that is).
Skids.png
Skids.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 6678 times
Note that these are overlaid on top of the runway graphics, as can be seen in the .gifs above.

Also, I have yet to work on any sort of marks for the dirt runways. I'm not entirely certain how to best represent wear & tear on such airfields.

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Awesome idea!

Supercheese wrote:Also, I have yet to work on any sort of marks for the dirt runways. I'm not entirely certain how to best represent wear & tear on such airfields.
if the runway is dirt there might not be that much need to show wear... However most runways of this 'type' I've seen are actually grass, not dirt. So maybe a rectangle of grass for the runway and bare dirt for the skid marks!
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Great idea!!

Regarding the graphics (or the sequence of them appearing), take in account that the outer wheels touch down first and that the nose wheel follows last. So maybe the first appearance should be the outer marks and following those should be markings that are darkest on the outsides and a little less dark in the middle. Also now in the skiddiest of marks (is this even English? ;-) ), all marks start at the same line. Tiny adjustment could be that the outer skidmarks start first and a couple of pixels later the inner skidmarks start.

I will follow this progression, they are very nice and I would like to include them into the fake airport objects!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Supercheese wrote:So, I've been working on yet another feature: Skid marks that appear on landing runways after numerous planes touch down on them.
(...)
There is one known issue with this feature: at Intercontinental airports, there is a small chance that an airplane landing at one landing point will make skid marks appear on the other landing runway. If both sets of runways are in heavy use, however, it is likely that this will go unnoticed. All other airports have a single landing runway and do not have this issue.
This looks like a nice little feature :)

Two questions (I didn't yet test neither NewGRF nor thoroughly check the patch):
* the now-modified NewGRF, how does it behave on OpenTTD which does not know that trigger?
* not sure whether it's a good idea or in this particular form; however: what about a follow-up patch which provides the information about the touch-down tile in variable extra_callback_info2, possibly bits 8..16 so that it can be evaluated in the callback and the counter for the correct runway could be introduced (like tile_check callback for objects http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NM ... _callbacks)?
* Did you consider to teach NML and grfcodec the new bit in the animation triggers?

(ok, that's three... I started with two in my mind :D )
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

planetmaker wrote:This looks like a nice little feature :)

* the now-modified NewGRF, how does it behave on OpenTTD which does not know that trigger?
No change from previous versions, the skid marks will merely not appear.
planetmaker wrote:* not sure whether it's a good idea or in this particular form; however: what about a follow-up patch which provides the information about the touch-down tile in variable extra_callback_info2, possibly bits 8..16 so that it can be evaluated in the callback and the counter for the correct runway could be introduced (like tile_check callback for objects http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NM ... _callbacks)?
I agree that having the tile specified would be nice, although I too am not certain what the best way to do that is.
planetmaker wrote:* Did you consider to teach NML and grfcodec the new bit in the animation triggers?
I do have a patch for NML ready to submit to support the new trigger (just a new global constant), but not for grfcodec.

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Supercheese wrote:I agree that having the tile specified would be nice, although I too am not certain what the best way to do that is.
I have improved and updated the patch at Flyspray to now only fire at the specific touchdown tile, solving the Intercontinental airport issue.

te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

Hi

"Updated" to ogfx-airports-5758 this morning started the one game I'm playing and got theses "nice" surprises, not sure what changed.
error2.jpg
error2.jpg (314.91 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
Default View
error1.jpg
error1.jpg (323.38 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
Turned 90degrees
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

This sort of thing can happen if you update the grf to an existing game. I've had a quarry turn into coalmine towers.

Either don't upgrade the grf during a game or start a new game.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Only change I can think of is from a few months back when the animations for the runway skidmarks were changed.

Go into your NewGRF folder, delete the current version, put the old version back if you don't have it, and your save game should be okay.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You shouldn't need to delete the current version, afaik a savegame always tries to find an exact match with the available newgrfs, and only moves to "compatible" newgrfs if the exact match fails.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “Graphics Development”