[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: [OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by kamnet »

SkullKrixzz wrote:probably a stupid question but do i have to use the NuTracks crossing signals? i dont really like how they look at all and would much rather have the ones that are included in my current road set to show....is that even possible?
Try loading your road set after NuTracks.
SkullKrixzz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SkullKrixzz »

Try loading your road set after NuTracks.[/quote]

i have tried, and it doesnt change anything really...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

So who do I ask for permission regarding the use of the track graphics and code in my own Track Set?

I sort of re-coded NuTracks to make a North American Track Set that I intend to with time make the North American Track Set look as much like North American Railroads as Possible, with the rail crossings, signals, and depot graphics.

Two changes I made with the North American Track Set is the ability to change the dates of everything, as well as being able to have all the rail speeds available with either two un-electrified narrow gauge railtypes, or low speed NG rail and a combined Maglev/Monorail track.

Though for now as I just figured out how to code this stuff, I'm using the NuTracks graphics as a place holder.

I can't release anything until I have permission.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

NekoMaster wrote:So who do I ask for permission regarding the use of the track graphics and code in my own Track Set?
The entire set is covered by GNU Public License. All you need to do is abide by the terms of the license (license.txt).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

kamnet wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:So who do I ask for permission regarding the use of the track graphics and code in my own Track Set?
The entire set is covered by GNU Public License. All you need to do is abide by the terms of the license (license.txt).
I just assumed that even if stuff is GNU I still need permission from the coder/artist of stuff to be on peoples good sides around here.

I do my best to have the code and materials available for people to use, as I can just link them to the project folder in my Dropbox.
Plus I make sure to give everyone credit where due.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

NekoMaster wrote:
kamnet wrote:
I just assumed that even if stuff is GNU I still need permission from the coder/artist of stuff to be on peoples good sides around here.

I do my best to have the code and materials available for people to use, as I can just link them to the project folder in my Dropbox.
Plus I make sure to give everyone credit where due.
I find it is easy to just zip your sprites, nml, etc at time of release and post it to the forum (or wherever) along with the .grf whenever you make a 'release'. If you are not going to use some infrastructure like devzone, that is a simple way to be helpful to others and ensure you are legally in the clear.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

NekoMaster wrote:I just assumed that even if stuff is GNU I still need permission from the coder/artist of stuff to be on peoples good sides around here.
It's polite, neighborly, and makes for good politics. But the entire point of GPL is to have code released so that others can immediately use it without having to obtain individual permission. And I've never seen anybody get upset when GPL code is adapted without asking permission. Well, I take it back, I think I saw it once, and that was because the original author of the code had no idea how GPL actually worked. :D
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

kamnet wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I just assumed that even if stuff is GNU I still need permission from the coder/artist of stuff to be on peoples good sides around here.
It's polite, neighborly, and makes for good politics. But the entire point of GPL is to have code released so that others can immediately use it without having to obtain individual permission. And I've never seen anybody get upset when GPL code is adapted without asking permission. Well, I take it back, I think I saw it once, and that was because the original author of the code had no idea how GPL actually worked. :D
Strange, that doesn't sound quite like the issue around you-know-who and the everyone-knows-which graphics collection... Similar, but wasn't that originally over some petty GRF ID thing?

Out of curiosity, who was it that was stup careless enough to not read up on the license they used? Even I didn't dare publish FicTownNames without knowing how to avoid the disaster that befell finescale nutracks, and tbh I still hate licenses; I just haven't brought my opinion on them up in a while (the discussion from a couple months back on said person above being more specifically about "The Un-GPL-ening").

There's failing to follow your own license and then there's sabotaging the purpose of your license, but honestly I haven't come across any past discussions on someone not even asking what a simple rundown of a license is and expecting GPL to require permission and credit. No need for names, but which NewGRF was it?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi DJ Nekkid and those involved in making NuTracks.

I know your project is GPL 2, but I still like to ask your your permission to use your NuTracks and see if I can make a AuzTrack set from them.

I been experimenting with some ideas and looking at the idea of wide ballast.
Wide Ballast.png
Wide Ballast.png (258.04 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
They work good except for bridges and tunnels .. hence I making 2 sets of each type of track.

One set will have the wide ballast and other set will not have the wide ballast.

Reason 2 sets as I not sure if can turn off the underlay of the tracks for crossing bridges and entering tunnels.

I looking at 3 types of tracks .. Sidings, branch lines and main lines. The one in imagine is Sidings .. hence the rusty look .. speed 40 km/ph. I have done both with and without wide ballast for this set, but I don't think I really need the set for bridges and tunnels.

The branch lines and main lines will have both sets.

If you like to test the Sidings what I done so far here the GRF file.

Cheers all
Attachments
AuzTracks.grf
(518.93 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Shadow86
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadow86 »

Did NuTracks finally remove metro tracks?

I had been reading around trying to find out why the combination of 2cc TrainsInNML 3.0 alpha-2 and NuTracks 2 r247 (loaded in that order) wasn't producing metro tracks on its own. 2cc has metro trains running on monorail tracks if it can't find suitable metro tracks, and for some reason NuTracks 2 wasn't providing them. Is that intended?

I've had to add Metro Tracks Set 2.1.2 to my NewGRF preset to supplement that functionality, but it's too late for my current ongoing game, isn't it? Not sure if it's possible enable it mid-game without unpredictable consequences.

EDIT: Tangential question: is it possible to have NuTracks with default, company-coloured fences? I'm not sure why it was decided they should be plain (and nigh-invisible).
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

Shadow86 wrote:Did NuTracks finally remove metro tracks?

I had been reading around trying to find out why the combination of 2cc TrainsInNML 3.0 alpha-2 and NuTracks 2 r247 (loaded in that order) wasn't producing metro tracks on its own. 2cc has metro trains running on monorail tracks if it can't find suitable metro tracks, and for some reason NuTracks 2 wasn't providing them. Is that intended?
NuTracks has 3rd rail tracks, which need to be enabled by going into the parameters of NuTracks and enabling 'force 3rd-rail low speed tracks' and/or 'force 3rd-rail medium speed tracks'. Additionally, NuTracks needs to be loaded before 2ccTrainsInNML, otherwise Metros will still run on monorail. (Atleast thats how I got it to work properly)
I've had to add Metro Tracks Set 2.1.2 to my NewGRF preset to supplement that functionality, but it's too late for my current ongoing game, isn't it? Not sure if it's possible enable it mid-game without unpredictable consequences.
You can go into openttd.cfg and enable 'newgrf_developer_tools' to be able to add NewGRFs to running games, but I guess adding railtypes mid-game might indeed end up badly.
Shadow86
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadow86 »

That was it. I didn't equate metro to third rail, so the setting's name slipped by.

Thanks!
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Ok, is there a way to disable fences on NuTracks?
I used the "no fences" parameter on Can Stations in the past to remove fences but this doesn't seem to work with NuTracks.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I'll see if I can implement it
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

oberhümer wrote: 04 May 2020 02:37 I'll see if I can implement it
Would be great if it's possible.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Floedekage
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Floedekage »

Hi,
I can't seem to find this issue reference anywhere else in this thread or on the forum:

I'm currently using Nu Tracks 2 r284M and UK Railway Set (UKRS2) and it seems that locomotives with a top speed above 225km/h driving on the "Advanced High-Speed"/"Very High Speed" rail reverts to a top speed of 160km/h. However, locomotives with a speed of 160km/h - 225km/h works fine.

I've also tried Nu Tracks r247 and all sets of UKRS GRF's (Community Bugfixed, Add-ons etc.) and loaded them in all different orders, and it always seem to effect the fastest locomotives and limits them to 160km/h. Is this bug related to Nu Tracks or is it possibly a bug in UKRS2?

Best Regards,
- Kenny
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

UKRS2 is to blame
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Floedekage
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Floedekage »

oberhümer wrote: 02 Jun 2020 16:59 UKRS2 is to blame
Alright, thanks.
I'll give them a heads up.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Floedekage, I've updated UKRS to add compatibility with NuTracks 2 r283 (or r284M as it appears in-game).
Lukáš
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lukáš »

Hello,

i use nutracks (tested v247 and v283) in openttd 12.1 and the graphics of the rails are changing under the train (dutch trainset also usset). Does anyone have a similar problem?

photo hosting site free

Return to “Graphics Development”