[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by Ameecher »

I feel that the graphics for the 160km/h tracks are weak, considering they are most likely the most commonly used they're a bit... well... plain.

Would you be against the idea of perhaps allowing the code to be available to enable us to adopt graphics more in line with the original graphics?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Ameecher wrote:I feel that the graphics for the 160km/h tracks are weak, considering they are most likely the most commonly used they're a bit... well... plain.

Would you be against the idea of perhaps allowing the code to be available to enable us to adopt graphics more in line with the original graphics?
Under the GPL v2 the code (and graphics) are available on the DevZone.

The joy this license: just go and modify as you like. But give credits and put anything derived from it or used it for under the same license
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Ameecher wrote:I feel that the graphics for the 160km/h tracks are weak, considering they are most likely the most commonly used they're a bit... well... plain.
Tbh, im not 100% happy with the gfx as well, they do look abit pale... If you got anything you want to use, feel free to post it, and i'll insert that instead, altho, i think Zeph' is already on it :)

And, if anyone got any cool tunnels or depots, dont hesitate to post them! Would be awsome to have "better" gfx for the high(er) speed tracks then the slow(er) ones. They can also change over time.
ChillCore wrote: That did the trick. I was testing with 1.0.0-rc2, r35 worked in that version.
Let's hope the change in trunk gets backported to the 1.0.0 branch. :)
I cant se a single reason why r37 dont work in 1.0.0-rc2 if r35 do. There are two differences between thoose two. The first beeing the minor gfx glitch on the crossing vs underlay, and in r36 did i add some slight difference in minimapcolors, but that have been in this since the beginning of the entire RailTypes feature started. (Correct me if im wrong here someone, but its been in the specs all the time afaik).
Member of the
ImageImage
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

It is my opinion that there is too much difference between each grade graphically. Linking these types of rails together just looks bad at the minute. I'd have said that keeping the default tracks as the 120km/h tracks then have maybe slightly rusty rails for the stock tracks. For the 160km/h tracks maybe have slightly lighter ballast (implying more frequent maintenance to maintain to the quality for higher speed running) a similar thing for the 230km/h too. I don't particularily have an issue with the HS tracks.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Planning tracks added in r38 :)
plan.png
plan.png (31.62 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
Might hit Bananas, but im gonna see what more goodies i can pack in before dinner :)
Member of the
ImageImage
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

DJ Nekkid wrote:Planning tracks added in r38 :)
plan.png
Might hit Bananas, but im gonna see what more goodies i can pack in before dinner :)

exellecent - what about stations? because they need a white frame or just place text - STATION with white platforms outlines
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

now that would need some station set as well, and that is not for this grf i think. But you can always just make the tracks where the station is supposed to be, and just "paint" some station over it when you actually build the route :)

Fancy some 3rd rail as well?
Attachments
3rd.png
3rd.png (16.46 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
Member of the
ImageImage
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

DJ Nekkid wrote:now that would need some station set as well, and that is not for this grf i think. But you can always just make the tracks where the station is supposed to be, and just "paint" some station over it when you actually build the route :)

Fancy some 3rd rail as well?
I quick tidy up of the diagonals and I reckon thats good to go. :)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Is it not possible to have the third rail appear as it does on the metro tracks .grf (ie, not crossing the junctions).
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Hi Nekkid,

In the new narrow gauge graphics I sent you a few days ago, I also included a third rail and new tunnel portals (although the latter are a little bit smaller, since NG trains are smaller than SG ones)... you can use them if you want! Maybe you could code a test version to see how they look?
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

DJ Nekkid wrote:Planning tracks added in r38 :)
plan.png
Just had a thought. Maybe broken blue lines would look better, so as not to give a "solid" appearance. Sort of like "road under construction" would appear on a typical road atlas.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

not too bad idea there MD, i'll try and make something, and see how it turns out :)

snail: patience my friend :) I'll code the stuff for you :) I just have my hands full with this right now, getting this to look good :)
... Give me a couple of days :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

DJ Nekkid wrote:not too bad idea there MD, i'll try and make something, and see how it turns out :)

snail: patience my friend :) I'll code the stuff for you :) I just have my hands full with this right now, getting this to look good :)
... Give me a couple of days :)

:D I know, there's no rush. It's just that I saw rising interest in new tunnels and 3rd rail tracks... ;)
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

r40 is now uploaded to bananas :) That is, with 3rd rail and dotted planning lines :)
Member of the
ImageImage
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

wtf - the depot needs fixing - you need check the orientation huds - its shows planning track but its has strange marks on ? and on 4rd - there cursor with ZZZZ so could you fix it?

my suggestion - create track there and show arrow showing which entrance is facing

edit: - in other tracks there depot with same issues as above - only 80km track has proper depot graphics
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

sounds like you want r41 :D
Member of the
ImageImage
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

DJ Nekkid wrote:sounds like you want r41 :D
yep - its always good to have more updates :bow:
Stefantje
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stefantje »

I just installed the r41 and I got an error: Fatal error: unknown 'action 0'-property. r29 and r35 were and are working without any errors.

Any idea what could be the problem?
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

It seems like the Action0 property 16 (different colors on the minimap) isnt supported on RC2, but it hopefully will be on RC3/1.0.0, so either wait for RC3 or get a nightly :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Stefantje
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stefantje »

DJ Nekkid wrote:It seems like the Action0 property 16 (different colors on the minimap) isnt supported on RC2, but it hopefully will be on RC3/1.0.0, so either wait for RC3 or get a nightly :)
Aah, thank you! Good work btw, this is really something I was missing in the game :-)

Return to “Graphics Development”