[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Metrication
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by Metrication »

Has there been any progress recently?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Not yet. I've rethought the parameter structure yet again, and am mostly back where the whole thing started: A selection of track type sets (basic, third rail, narrow gauge, ... ), plus a "front panel" to manually enable individual track types at own risk.
Coming relatively soon whenever I feel like coding it up.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

The code is mostly working, finally. One annoyance with OpenTTD/the NewGRF specs, though: there is no way to specify which default track graphics (regular, monorail, maglev) should be used. Stations and depots, yes (and they do use the appropriate track graphics), but not the tracks themselves. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Attachments
Left: Combination monorail and maglev for when not enough track type slots are available. Right: A narrow gauge track type using the track type ID of the default maglev tracks.
Left: Combination monorail and maglev for when not enough track type slots are available. Right: A narrow gauge track type using the track type ID of the default maglev tracks.
what.png (33.8 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

I am trying to use nuTracks 1.1.2 combined with 2cc Subways from the 2cc Set 1.0 and the PIPE v5-r52 NewGRFs in my game. The problem is that in the default autodetect mode, I don't get the 3rd rail to use with the subways, but if I manually enable the nuTracks Trackset to be 3rd rail, I get an "Attempt to use invalid ID (sprite 254)" error. The interesting part is that I still get the rail types with the exception of "Planning", which is the last one in the list, and in my list that is "Pipeline"

So it looks like there might be some compatibility issue between nuTracks and PIPE and I was wondering if it would be possible to build that into nuTracks (as well as the autodetection of the "2cc Subways from the 2cc Set", so that they all work in harmony. If it is a matter of running out of available rail types, then maybe the "Planning" type can be removed and space given to PIPE, when the PIPE grf is also active?

Thanks,
Alex
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

The new version will include a parameter to reduce the number of track speeds when not all are needed, which solves your problem. Alternatively, you can use standard/autodetect mode in combination with the Metro Track Set.

Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

Do you plan to allow editing the speed limits of both the low speed and the "high speed" narrow gauge rails?
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I don't really see a reason not to.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Is it possible to auto-detect certain train sets and provide either the extra rails or replace the other rail graphics to the gauge needed for a train set.

So for instance, NARS v2 loaded, standard gauge graphics will be loaded
Japan Set loaded, Narrow gauge graphics will be used.
Russian Train and Tram set loaded, Broad Gauge (if available) will be loaded.

Track guages are mostly cosmetic if they're just changing the graphics, though I think that costs could be changed in accordance with gauge

Narrow gauge : Half the price and maintenance of standard gauge
Standard Gauge : x1 Cost and maintenance
Broad Gauge : Double the cost and maintenance of standard gauge
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

That's done already.

chuggles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chuggles »

So I'm trying to use nutracks.

I'm getting the following error:
A fatal NewGRF error has occurred:

Attempt to use invalid ID (sprite 253)
I'm using UKRS2 for trains.

This happens when I try to use nutracks along with the finescale rail set pikka made (although I didn't expect them to work together)

But it also happens when the only track set loaded is nutracks.

I can still build all the nutracks track types, apart from high speed with catenary; and all the tracks look the same, whereas I understand they're meant to look different?

Any help with this issue would be appreciated, cheers. Does 'sprite 253' refer to a specific sprite?
chuggles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chuggles »

DISREGARD!

I just needed to put nutracks at the top of the list of newgrfs.

Wow, how embarassing. :oops:
dbkblk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by dbkblk »

Is that normal that high speed and low speed rails have the same low maintenance cost (even if maintenance is set on high)?
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

dbkblk wrote:Is that normal that high speed and low speed rails have the same low maintenance cost (even if maintenance is set on high)?
I have this question as well. Is this intended?
Aphid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aphid »

One thing I would like to see with this kind of trackset is the ability to modify/disable the hard-coded introduction dates (and instead go for an 'only vehicle-based' approach), as well as maybe the relative costs of the rails. Sometimes the factor 3 seems to be too high. Some trainsets tend to peak much earlier with regards to speed, take for example the UKRS set.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

dbkblk wrote:Is that normal that high speed and low speed rails have the same low maintenance cost (even if maintenance is set on high)?
What version are you using? I'm not getting any maintenance costs at all with 1.1.2.

LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

oberhümer wrote:
What version are you using? I'm not getting any maintenance costs at all with 1.1.2.
I'm running 1.1.2 and maintenance cost work. They're just the same for all tracks. Do you have infrastructure maintenance enabled?
knightofni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by knightofni »

oberhümer wrote:
I notice the same than dbkblk, with Nutracks 1.1.2, maintenance costs are similar for all tracks types [plus they are very low].

Would it be possible to make construction costs and maintenance costs customizable per track type (with parameters) ?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

knightofni wrote:
I notice the same than dbkblk, with Nutracks 1.1.2, maintenance costs are similar for all tracks types [plus they are very low].
Would it be possible to make construction costs and maintenance costs customizable per track type (with parameters) ?
I noticed, that it is already done in new NML version.
Compiled source from http://dev.openttdcoop.org, and voila, now maintenance costs looks like (price for 100 pieces):
infracost.png
infracost.png (6.14 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
Great job, thank you!

Is it possible to enable this new version to be accessible via online content?
I would like put it on my multiplayer server.

BTW, very high speed (catenary) maintenance payment is somewhat to large in comparison to airports.
For 1000 tile double track line with signals and stations, price would be higher than 2 hub airports.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

McZapkie wrote:
knightofni wrote:
I noticed, that it is already done in new NML version.
Compiled source from http://dev.openttdcoop.org, and voila, now maintenance costs looks like (price for 100 pieces):
infracost.png
Great job, thank you!

Is it possible to enable this new version to be accessible via online content?
I would like put it on my multiplayer server.

BTW, very high speed (catenary) maintenance payment is somewhat to large in comparison to airports.
For 1000 tile double track line with signals and stations, price would be higher than 2 hub airports.
This is good news! I hope it'll become available on bananas soon.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Well, didn't even remember that I'd fixed that already. As for a public release, there was some issue that, in my opinion, was serious enough to prevent it, but I forget what it was... will test within the next two days.
very high speed (catenary) maintenance payment is somewhat to large in comparison to airports.
Doesn't sound that unreasonable for a high-speed line halfway across a 2048x2048 map - but I don't really play much at the moment, so I might be wrong here.

Return to “Graphics Development”