[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by aantono »

Are you planning to add a property to control the cost multiplier for rail types, as was in v1?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I definitely won't add the same primitive power-of-two switch if something better is possible. Directly entering cost multipliers or at least the base values that are used to derive all other cost multipliers (see code) via a parameter seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure whether NewGRF arithmetic is good enough for that.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I propose to make different colours of railway bed, depending on traction type.
Overhead wires are barely visible and often game is ruined because trains are sitting due to lack of one small half tile wire.
The worst scenario is if there is incomplete electrification of whole station - it is hard to notice that certain station track is not used.
Heavily used real railroads are rather black/gray in case of steam/diesel traction (lot of doot/oil spills) and brown/red/yellow (rust from brakes/collectors) in case of electric traction.

I suggest to make bedrock for non-electrified track classess:
very low: invisible (only sleepers and grass/snow between them)
low: almost black
medium: dark gray
fast: gray
and for electrified track classess:
very low: dark brown
low: red brown
medium: dark yellow
fast: light yellow
very fast: light gray
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Wonder if we could provide a block-colour (from same list as company colours) overlay of tracks (by shifting colour of sprites), on a switch controlled by transparency menu.
Last edited by andythenorth on 27 Oct 2014 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

McZapkie wrote:I propose to make different colours of railway bed, depending on traction type.
Makes sense. I'm not sure whether it would work with just the TTD palette, but that's not a big deal.
andythenorth wrote:Wonder if we could provide a block-colour (from same list as company colours) overlay of tracks (by shifting coluor of sprites), on a switch controlled by transparency menu.
Sounds more like an OpenTTD feature request, and don't the minimap colors do that already? I think I'll fix them next.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I just released NuTracks r242 to Bananas, with minimap colors set as follows (note that they're only used in the "Routes" view):
  • Low speed narrow gauge: red
  • High speed narrow gauge: orange
  • Very low speed standard gauge: yellow
  • Low speed standard gauge: green
  • Medium speed standard gauge: blue
  • High speed standard gauge: violet
  • Very high speed standard gauge: dark gray
  • Monorail/maglev: light gray
Track types with catenary use a lighter color shade to make them easily distinguishable. Plain third rail uses the same colors as unelectrified.

oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

And r247 has cost adjustment parameters as well. There are probably some rounding errors, but the accuracy is still much higher than the old version.
Any other code tweaking requests? I probably won't do much with the graphics anytime soon, but optional narrower/"finescale" tracks are definitely planned, as well as the mentioned track bed color adjustments.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I can't seem to upgrade rails, and the game defaults to laying Low Speed (127 km\h) rail. At the moment I've only seen this problem trying to convert Very low speed (80 km\h) and Low Speed (127 km\h) rail. Keeps saying Can't convert, no suitable railroad track found
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Sankeyao
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sankeyao »

Hey, just another graphical bug in the newest release (r245) in relation to the fences.

-low speed tracks use the medium speed fence sprites
-For all tracktypes, horizontal tracks w.r.t. the player either display their fences incorrectly or have no fences at all. Vertical track fences are correct

Cheers oberhumer, looking forward to the official v2 release.
Attachments
fence glitches.png
(62.7 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

NekoMaster wrote:I can't seem to upgrade rails, and the game defaults to laying Low Speed (127 km\h) rail. At the moment I've only seen this problem trying to convert Very low speed (80 km\h) and Low Speed (127 km\h) rail. Keeps saying Can't convert, no suitable railroad track found
You aren't really explaining yourself very well - all I can say is that I tested and had no problems converting various tracks to various other tracks...

Noted the fence problem. As for a release, I think I'll keep up the "rapid release without breaking things" scheme for the foreseeable future, more feedback potential than the usual "dump it once in a while" and it keeps the bits nice and shiny.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

What I'm saying is, with Nutracks v2...

I'll lay down Very-low speed rail (80 km\h), but when I try to convert it to a higher speed, the game tell's me theres no suitable rail to convert.

Same happens if I try to down-convert a faster rail type like Low-Speed rail (127 km\h) to something slower (like Very Low speed). I still get the no suitable rail tracks warning.

I dunno how to explain it any better then that. This happens in OpenTTD v1.4.4, recent nightlies, and even the OpenTTD Spring 2013 Patch Pack v2.1.143

EDIT : Using NuTracks v247 from Banana's this doesnt seem to happen anymore.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Great idea with coloured tracks on minimap - very useful for detecting all those diagonal slow speed remains.
However electric traction depended roadbed is still welcome - minimap doesn't show station tracks,
whereas lack of electric traction is a station problem (it is hard to notice in case of station with many tracks).

BTW, track construction bar show overhead wire/pole only for low speed option, all others look line non electrified.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I found a weird bug - if nutrack 247 are used together with 2cc Trainset v.2.0 beta5,
train running costs are calculated properly only for first category of tracks.
In case of high speed track, running costs are almost zero (lower than for stopped train).
Old 1.1.2 nutracks were working well.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

McZapkie wrote:I found a weird bug - if nutrack 247 are used together with 2cc Trainset v.2.0 beta5,
train running costs are calculated properly only for first category of tracks.
In case of high speed track, running costs are almost zero (lower than for stopped train).
Old 1.1.2 nutracks were working well.
Try using 2cc Train set in NML, which you can get on Banana's or here http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/2ccts/?C=M&O=D

I would suggest using a stable version but its always fun to try out a nightly version for added features and new vehicles.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

McZapkie wrote:2cc Trainset v.2.0 beta5
NekoMaster wrote:Try using 2cc Train set in NML
The 2ccTS 2.0 beta 5 is all but a good file. It has many many bugs and inconsistencies and it's probably the main reason for bugs with other GRFs. The "2ccTS in NML" is the real deal although it's also "in development".
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Voyager One wrote:The "2ccTS in NML" is the real deal although it's also "in development".
Unfortunatelly 2ccTS in NML still have a serious bug (very cheap unlimited service car).
Moreover, former 2ccTS was working fine with old nutrack, therefore probably something is wrong with nutrack?
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Regardless of bugs in the new 2ccTS, my suggestion is still that you use the new set instead of the old abandoned project. Transportman is doing his best to solve all bugs and soon there will be literally hundreds of vehicles added to the set.

... or wait just a bit longer till it's done.

P.S. That service car/caboose is an eye-candy anyway. It won't have any special properties that will add something to gameplay.

EDIT: Sorry for a little misunderstanding, I've just realized the bug about these service cars: they are mistakenly allowed to carry passengers while they shouldn't do it. Eddy has just reported it in the 2ccTS thread.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

McZapkie wrote:
Voyager One wrote:The "2ccTS in NML" is the real deal although it's also "in development".
Unfortunatelly 2ccTS in NML still have a serious bug (very cheap unlimited service car).
Moreover, former 2ccTS was working fine with old nutrack, therefore probably something is wrong with nutrack?
There is nothing wrong with NuTracks or the old 2cc set. The new version of NuTracks uses different labels for the tracks compared to older versions, so the old 2cc set does not properly recognize the tracks anymore. It probably works for the first tracks as those use the default labels.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

The old 2CC Set changed train running costs based on the track type? What an awful and nonsensical idea.

ssmit132
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ssmit132 »

oberhümer wrote:The old 2CC Set changed train running costs based on the track type? What an awful and nonsensical idea.
It must be one of those BAD FEATURES, then. :]

Return to “Graphics Development”