[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by DJ Nekkid »

There have been questions on when the different tracktypes are introduced, and here it is:
  • Very Low Speed (80kmh) 'normal' Tracks: When the first non-el engine come out in the trainset you use.
  • Very Low Speed (80kmh) 'electric' Tracks: When the first electrical engine come out in the trainset you use.
  • Very Low Speed (80kmh) '3rd rail' Tracks: When the first 3rd rail engine come out in the trainset you use. (*)
  • Very Low Speed (80kmh) '3rd + catenary': When there are both 3rd rail and 'electric' engines in the trainset you use (*)
  • Low Speed (125kmh) 'normal' Tracks: Year 1900, and there already are non-el engines in the trainset you use
  • Low Speed (125kmh) 'electric' Tracks: Year 1925, and there already are electric engines in the trainset you use
  • Low Speed (125kmh) '3rd rail' Tracks: Year 1925, and there already are 3rd rail engins in the trainset you use (*)
  • Low Speed (125kmh) '3rd + catenary': Year 1925, and there aready are 3rd rail and electric engines in the trainset you use (*)
  • Medium Speed (180kmh) 'normal' Tracks: Year 1930, and there already are non-el engines in the trainset you use
  • Medium Speed (180kmh) 'electric' Tracks: Year 1950, and there already are electric engines in the trainset you use
  • Medium Speed (180kmh) '3rd rail' Tracks: Year 1960, and there already are 3rd rail engins in the trainset you use (*)
  • High Speed (230kmh) 'norma' Tracks: Year 1960, and there already are non-el engines in the trainset you use
  • High Speed (230kmh) 'electric' Tracks: Year 1975, and there already are electric engines in the trainset you use
  • Very High Speed (unlimited) 'electric' Tracks: Year 1990, and there already are electric engines in the trainset you use
  • All of the 5 flavours of Metro Tracks: When the first metro engine come out in the trainset you use (**)
  • Monorail Tracks: When the first monorail engine come out in the trainset you use.
  • Maglev Tracks: When the first maglev engine come out in the trainset you use.
  • Planning tracks: Year 0

(*) If you use a such trainset, you should use either 'autodetect' or select '3rd rail' (or the future 'balanced') trackset in the 1st parameter
(**) If you use such a set, for example the 2cc trainset, you should use either 'autodetect' or select 'metro tracks' (or the future 'balanced') trackset in the 1st parameter
Please also note that if a 'compatible' trainset (i.e. the 2cc trainset, the upcomeing bros trainset, the upcomeing recode of the NSB trainset, and as far as i know, UKRS2) the tracks will come out when needed, or at the given date, whatever comes first.

---------------------------------------
Original Posts:
---------------------------------------
oki guys, i've made a "plan" on how NuTracks should work. There will be 3 different sub-sets.
Default - different speeds and prices on standard rails, plus includes monorail and maglev
2cc-version - different speeds and prices on standard rails, plus 4 different metros, plus maglev
3rd rail version - differnt speeds and prices on standard rails, plus 3rd rail on 3 of them and 3rd+catenary on 2 of them

The details can be seen here

In the future do i also plan to add a NG version, but i do need input from you guys, as well as gfx (i think i might have _some_ laying around somewhere).

Thoughts or suggestions?

Original post:
The last days have I (as someone might have noticed) been working on a new rail set. This set is created as an addon to the 2cc trainset, but is a standalone .grf, as this alows most flixibility, and the fact that it can be used with other trainsets as well :)

Currently there are no new gfx for the new tracktypes, but this gfx is created, but are not coded yet. Altho, it will come quite soon :) The needed tools just needs support for it :)
rails.png
rails.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 60624 times
As seen on that picture, The current railtypes, with price (on normal building cost, low costs are 25% lower, and high costs 25% higher)

Code: Select all

Type                     |     Cost/tile
* 120kmh rails             |     100£/tile
* 120kmh rails w/catenary  |     500£/tile
* 160kmh rails             |     300£/tile
* 160kmh rails w/catenary  |   1.000£/tile
* 230kmh rails             |   1.000£/tile
* 230kmh rails w/catenary  |   3.000£/tile
* High Speed Rails         |  10.000£/tile
* 3rd Rail (120kmh)        |     200£/tile
* 3rd Rail w/Catenary      |     700£/tile
* Maglev                   |  25.000£/tile
And yes, prices are HIGH :) Its ment to be that way. I will probably add a parameter to adjust them further (double/quadruple, half/quarter).

Clicky on the linky to downloady
Link
or use your favorite fruit and vegetable online store :)
Last edited by DJ Nekkid on 16 Mar 2011 09:33, edited 8 times in total.
Member of the
ImageImage
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by Kogut »

Next steep to make openttd more realistic! (Sorry Belugas)
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Well, actually, its not ment for realism, its ment for a bit of challange, and a bit of fun. At the later stages where faster and faster tracks are needed, one usually have the cash for it.

And: according to the german wikipedia, building maglev tracks does cost about the same as building High speed tracks :D
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Looking forward to seeing the new graphics in action! :)
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The problem of the new graphics is that They will have glitches in 32 bpp with extra zoom levels, because They are composed with a ground tile and a track tile. This will leave some grass between tiles. :cry: This could be solved allowing to use de default tracks in ground, but I don't know If this feature will be implemented.

My idea about Spain set is release two versions: one for TTD patch and OpenTTD without railtypes. This version will be like the current release. The second release will use railtypes, and It will add two new rail types, Iberian gauge and Iberian gauge with overhead wires. It would need more new graphics.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Great idea! Thanks! Looking forward to trying this out.
Who is John Galt?
zde-nek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zde-nek »

very nice! may i suggest another one rail type? cheap 60 kmph without catenary? i would lay it in 19th century :)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

120kmh non elrals cost the same as the default tracks do, so i dont see tooo much need for this, but if it gets a "demand", i'll look into it :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Jimbow
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jimbow »

I agree with zde-nek, that there are missing a cheaper railtype for 60-80 km/h. :)
But I think it should be possible to use it with catenary too.

It might also be good for short lines to industries and for siddings.
It can also be used to lower the speed limit on stations if someone want to do that.
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

hmm.. you can make a 60 km/h cheap rail and increase the cost for the 120 km/h type
The rest is confetti!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

A cheap initial rail might be nice indeed. But then it could well be below the current prices without modifying them; in early years train income is due to their limited power and speed anyway not high.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

With CB36 support we could have the different tracks evolve over time :D

And another problem is, with current priceing, the lowest cost is 100£, and the highest is 25500£ ... so if we were to go any lower, it would be 0£:D
Member of the
ImageImage
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

DJ Nekkid wrote:the lowest cost is 100£, and the highest is 25500£ ...
Halfing base costs and then rise the single track type costs doesn't work? Or do you need prices higher than 20k£?
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

if we can get either word size costs, or CB36 support (will give 15bit cost support) then yes, unless, no :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Oooo. Exciting!
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

A nice initiative. Will definitely add that extra dimension later in the game when every dollar becomes a necessity.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Just tried it, any chance of having the tracks identifiable in any way, at the very least with the query tool?

Edit: And I believe that a lower speed track would be good too.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

At this stage we could probably change cost factor to a word.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

petern wrote:At this stage we could probably change cost factor to a word.
That would be awsome :D Could mean a better cost-resolution with high possible values :)
Ameecher wrote: Just tried it, any chance of having the tracks identifiable in any way, at the very least with the query tool?
They will be, hopefully tonight. I got the gfx, i just need to apply them :D
Member of the
ImageImage
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

sorry for doubleposting but:

Renum (r2304) still dont alow me to renum a file with featurebyte 10, and it actually crash. So i still wont be able to add gfx to this...
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”