32bpp GRVTS and eGRVTS [updated 05/07/2011, now a 32bpp GRF]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 32bpp GRVTS and eGRVTS

Post by Zephyris »

Killer 11 wrote:...making the entire project in like 4 weeks total...
Pah! More like 18 days :)
Killer 11 wrote:...how come you are so good at coming into a project and then just making the entire project...
Not asking for non-technical advice, just making graphics to what I regard as a suitable quality.
Doing the minumum quality I can get away with, eg. minimal texture effort; almost all just plain flat colours.
Preparing well, I started by generating all the standard light setups, textures, cargo graphics and production pathways I would need.
Intelligent lazyness; everything has been done in bulk, I have not hand generated a mask, hand aligned a sprite or hand tweaked a sprite.
Modelling a vehicle is actually very quick, the slow bit is fighting with organising the thousands of rendered images produced.

Plus I have been using blender for about 2.5 years...
Killer 11 wrote:After you finish this definitely consider jumping aboard the 32bpp project
TBH I can't get my head round the organisation, though I will consider it.
Lordmwa wrote:Is the download just GRVTS at the moment with eGRVTS to come?
Yup, GRVTS only for now. eGRVTS has over 3 times the number of sprites (around 6500 total) compared to GRVTS (around 2000), so quite a big project.

*edit* If someone wants a challenge then the GRVTS sprites are ~100% reused in eGRVTS... it is "just" 12000 images which need symlinking/renaming and eGRVTS is ~1/3 done.
FHS
Director
Director

Post by FHS »

Sorry about the question, but how do I enable 32bpp grfs?
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

You need to download the 32bpp branch of the code. AFAIK you cant use 32bpp graphics with the trunk
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Follow the 32bpp extra zoom levels installation instructions here:
http://wiki.openttd.org/32bpp_Extra_Zoom_Levels

You need the grf file enabled (ie. GRVTSv1.4.grf in the list of active grfs) and the .tar of 32bpp sprites (ie. GRVTS_v1_4.tar) in the /data folder of the 32bpp extra zoom levels installation.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Lordmwa wrote:You need to download the 32bpp branch of the code. AFAIK you cant use 32bpp graphics with the trunk
That's not quite true - the difference between official trunk and the "32bpp extra zoom branch" is that the latter gives you two additional zoom levels (zoom in) to look at the sprites which have been made with larger versions specifically for the extra zoom version.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Umm, I found a bug in the set, the order of half load and full load sprites of the flatbed trucks are swap.
Except that, this is a perfect set, I think only this rv set needs for the 32BPP game!
Attachments
asdasdf.PNG
asdasdf.PNG (98.17 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

lol

nice bug - at least its easy to sort i should think

Thanks for clearing that up Roujin
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Zephyris wrote:is that repo supposed to be base graphics only?
No
Zephyris wrote:
Killer 11 wrote:After you finish this definitely consider jumping aboard the 32bpp project
TBH I can't get my head round the organisation, though I will consider it.
Just make sprites, let others handle the administrative tasks.
#################
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

Hi Zephyris, you have done an awesome job by making this set :bow:

I have just started using it and it looks absolutely fabulous! I did not find any glitches yet. If i have to be very picky, the only thing I can find is the white line on the side of the ATP instructor hopper truck. Which looks a little bit odd. It's not on any other truck and the only thing that comes close is the side bumper guards of the trams but they are not as white and have some more details so they don't look as odd.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

colossal404 wrote:Umm, I found a bug in the set, the order of half load and full load sprites of the flatbed trucks are swap.
Is it swapped for all cargos on flatbed trucks? And yes, it should be easy to fix.
Jupix wrote:Just make sprites, let others handle the administrative tasks.
I more mean the challenge of finding a sensible logical set of things to model/render which havn't been started by someone already...

Trying to upload the graphics to your repo I kept getting the error of "Filename contains illegal characters. Please name your file with UNIX friendly chars only." What count as illegal characters, the filenames I tried were GRVTSv1.4.tar and GRVTS_v1_4.tar ...
sweetdude wrote:the white line on the side of the ATP instructor hopper truck.
Do you mean on all hopper trucks?
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Zephyris wrote:
colossal404 wrote:Umm, I found a bug in the set, the order of half load and full load sprites of the flatbed trucks are swap.
Is it swapped for all cargos on flatbed trucks? And yes, it should be easy to fix.
Yes, for all cargos.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

Zephyris wrote:
sweetdude wrote:the white line on the side of the ATP instructor hopper truck.
Do you mean on all hopper trucks?
No it's only for the ATP instructor hopper truck, it starts just after the cabin and goes along side the back and over the back wheels.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

All of the other hopper trucks have this line.
sweetdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweetdude »

Zephyris wrote:
Jupix wrote:Just make sprites, let others handle the administrative tasks.
I more mean the challenge of finding a sensible logical set of things to model/render which havn't been started by someone already...
The Arctic and Tropical tree set, comes to mind. None of them are started yet from what i can see...
Also a bunch of the temperate tree's need work
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

A bit off-topic, but I would like to thank you from all the work your doing... But I have only seen it through screen shots. I checked and double checked on the page that explains how to use 32bpp tars, and I still can't get it to work. I am using win32 and yesterday's nightly, blitter reads "32bpp optimized", The extra zoom file is in the game files folder, and the tars are in the same data folder as gfx & sfx. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
A fan of OTTD, Transport Empire
My creations: World Across Scenario
Steam power & local factories are the answer to America's problems. Oh, yeah. Representatives that represent are needed too.
hyperion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hyperion »

@Zephyris: it's not very easy to tell about all the models you made.

oh,yes in fact it's not so hard: amazing,fantastic. :bow: :bow:

very good work!!!

just a small question: why are there sprites with zamt extension?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

zc15-nyonker wrote:A bit off-topic, but I would like to thank you from all the work your doing... But I have only seen it through screen shots. I checked and double checked on the page that explains how to use 32bpp tars, and I still can't get it to work. I am using win32 and yesterday's nightly, blitter reads "32bpp optimized", The extra zoom file is in the game files folder, and the tars are in the same data folder as gfx & sfx. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
You need the extra zoom levels version of OpenTTD, not a normal trunk/nightly build.
hyperion wrote:just a small question: why are there sprites with zamt extension?
Oops, I was meant to take those out! They are the 4x scale ("_za") temporary sprites for automatic mask generation ("mt"). They are a colour only shadeless render pass which allows very simple extraction of the mask.
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

You need the extra zoom levels version of OpenTTD, not a normal trunk/nightly build.

That is just a .rar, and does not run like the binaries in the trunk.
Steam power & local factories are the answer to America's problems. Oh, yeah. Representatives that represent are needed too.
Graion Dilach
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Graion Dilach »

RAR? That's a compressed file format.

Uncompress it, there is a binary within it. WinZip, 7-Zip, Commander.... plenty of applications can help you.
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

Graion Dilach wrote:RAR? That's a compressed file format.

Uncompress it, there is a binary within it. WinZip, 7-Zip, Commander.... plenty of applications can help you.
My mistake. I am used to the ziped folders.

Return to “Graphics Development”