HEQS Heavy Equipment Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

HEQS Heavy Equipment Set - Development

Post by andythenorth »

HEQS release thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 2&p=698294

Original Post (June 2008)
I am a big fan of special vehicles: trucks, tractors and heavy equipment for construction, mining, forestry, farm and other off-road use.

This equipment would fit well into a niche in TT/OTTD: feeder service. I extensively build feeder services to consolidate the output from several industries to a rail station, and I figure I'm not alone in playing that way. The benefits of feeder service are:
  • Improved station ratings and industry production due to regular small pickups by RVs
  • Can use longer trains which are more efficient on track usage and running cost
  • More realistic (for those who play that way)
  • More vehicle/route optimisation (for those who play that way)
  • More fun/eye candy (for those who play that way).
We have some great road vehicle (RV) sets already for highway use: GRTVS, a partially complete UK (HOVS) set, and George's Long Vehicles. It would be neat to have off-highway equipment to use as well.

I am proposing to create the following list, which would be relevant from about 1975 (older vehicles could be suggested for earlier in the game):
  • Articulated 6x6 dump truck (ADT): mineral products.
  • Heavy haul mining truck: mineral products. This would have to be a small version due to scale issues.
  • Logging harvester or forwarder: wood / lumber. Great for getting from the cutting zone to the loadout.
  • Heavy Industrial Transporter: any cargo, but intended for steel, paper, copper, goods. Don't know much about these, but the key thing would be to design them to match scale and offer something different to regular RVs (high capacity, low speed, high purchase cost, low running cost).
  • JCB Fastrac + trailer: any cargo, but intended to get farm products to the elevator (35 tons at 50 mph!)
  • Foremost vehicles: eye candy cos I like them, but can carry any cargo including passengers (slowly!), realistic for oil fields in snow and desert, and tourists. Would like to include Delta, Nodwell, Terrabus.
Okay, so it's easy to make a wish list, how about putting my money where my mouth is: a single view of an ADT.
articulated-dump-truck_02.png
articulated-dump-truck_02.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 9922 times
This is the first time I have drawn a TT graphic. I think it's ok, but is a bit too realistic - needs the colours softening. I am not familiar yet with how the TT pallette works and would be grateful for any advice (I do have Oskar's example pallete).

This truck would need to be articulated, but would work well with how the RV articulation functions in TT. I am not able to code GRF files, and I am a bit too busy coding in real life (python, html, css) to get my head into GRF coding! But I am prepared to draw (as far as my abilities take me), so if any coders want to lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

Other comments:
  • I wouldn't want the set to be huge or complex. It's not intended as a complete RV set. I would rather have something finished that is fun and useful than a long tracking table which becomes overwhelming (I'm sure some of you have faced that before) ;)
  • The intention is to put some extra variety in the game, I would look to balance reality with gameplay. The vehicles would principally be realistic, but often not based on any specific model, more a blend of what's typical.
  • There's room for other suggestions - but they've got to be useful in the game. More farm tractors are an obvious choice. Of course everyone has their favourite, but I'd probably just blend a few together, some people get passionate about tractors, I don't want the set to become a homage to tractor history!
  • I'm drawing with realistic colours, but it would be very interesting to see how company colours could be applied - I'd prefer a grf parameter to randomisation, but either could work.
  • I'm not sure about dimensions. I have the bounding box from Purno's tutorial and have used that as the limits. Can sprites be bigger? George uses bigger sprites, but the side-effects can be a bit odd at times as he says in his tutorial.
  • To be really useful, this grf may depend on OTTD's increased vehicle limit. I've had the idea for a long time, but my understanding was that RV IDs were very limited. Now that limit is being removed (for OTTD) it looks worth putting some time into this (sorry to Patch players in advance I guess).
In the long term, it would be neat to add another class of roads to the game: off-road trails. These would:
  • Be very cheap to build and it would be possible to build them on almost any combination of slopes within the limits of the tile engine (advice?)
  • Only allow off-highway vehicles (which could also travel on-highway, similar but slightly different to the way RVs cannot travel on grass tram tracks).
  • Would be dirt in temperate and desert; ice-roads above the snow line in arctic.

However a new road type is not necessary for this set to work, and it's extra complication that can be ignored for now - if there were good grf sets that could use such a feature, perhaps devs might consider it?

cheers,

Andy
Last edited by andythenorth on 14 Nov 2010 12:22, edited 5 times in total.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: HEQS Heavy Equipment Set - Development

Post by andythenorth »

I am considering adding a parameter option to HEQS to hide some of the vehicles.

For example, some of the bulldozers could be hidden. This would reduce clutter in the buy menu and make it easier to use.

Is this something that you would find useful?
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

In my opinion, you shouldn't worry about that. The buy menu is not that crowded. This is just fine from my point of view.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

In this point I agree with Voyager. If you need a specific vehicle, the buy menu has the filter options ready at hand. Don't make your life unnecessarily hard ;-)
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Andy, if you're up to doing something with this set, I suggest you add a tank to crush AI vehicles... :twisted:
Just kidding. Great job! :D
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Is it possible to make HEQS combatibile with German Road Vehicles set?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Kogut wrote:Is it possible to make HEQS combatibile with German Road Vehicles set?
It already is. It's the German Road Vehicle set which isn't compatible with HEQS. More on this in the German Road Vehicle set topic.

EDIT: oh, you already doubleposted there. Never mind this then :)
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

I discovered another bug (I'm sorry to always find just the errors):
Attachments
livestock.PNG
livestock.PNG (33.37 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

And here's a small sprite error :roll: :wink:

Looks like you'll be fixing quite a few minor bugs, Andy
BTW, looking forward to the cargo trams :wink:
Attachments
The belly dump trailer is cut off when loaded with iron ore.
The belly dump trailer is cut off when loaded with iron ore.
glitch.png (17.08 KiB) Viewed 11139 times
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

That's a pretty epic leap for a bulldozer. :mrgreen:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Emperor Jake wrote:And here's a small sprite error :roll: :wink:

What sprite error is there? Except maybe a bit too large separation of the single vehicle parts I don't see anything...
Dimme
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dimme »

planetmaker wrote:
Emperor Jake wrote:And here's a small sprite error :roll: :wink:

What sprite error is there? Except maybe a bit too large separation of the single vehicle parts I don't see anything...
colossal404 wrote: The belly dump trailer is cut off when loaded with iron ore.
Try my modular airports minigame!

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

planetmaker wrote:What sprite error is there?
Count the number of wheels...
Freak_NL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Freak_NL »

I love HEQS for mineral hauling from the 1950s onwards, but the earlier road-trains are all so slow at 24km/h. Were these really that slow?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Freak_NL wrote:I love HEQS for mineral hauling from the 1950s onwards, but the earlier road-trains are all so slow at 24km/h. Were these really that slow?
Even slower in fact. Most bulldozers have a real-life speed of about 8km/h. I've multiplied that by 3 :P
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

AndersI wrote:
planetmaker wrote:What sprite error is there?
Count the number of wheels...
I counted them on the wrong sprites :-) Thanks for putting my nose directly at it.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Thought I'd post an update on progress for the next release (0.7)....

- Industrial trams need load sprites and more wagon types, so I still have some drawing to do :P
- The bug reports in these forums are useful, and I would like to fix them, but it would be easy to miss some. If they are submitted to the project bug tracker that's very helpful. http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/heqs/issues (Registering once gives access to all the bug trackers for the other projects there - FIRS, FISH, 2CC Train Set, OpenGFX etc).

After 0.7 is done I have some plans for new vehicles (more trams) and more plans to improve some of the existing stuff (especially tractors). It would be handy to know what era vehicles are most wanted for....
- pre 1930?
- 1930-2000?
- post 2000?

cheers,

Andy
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

I'd say some post 2000 would be nice.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Hey, Andy!

I was just looking through the wiki newgrf specs on realistic acceleration. (I decided to try to make eGRVTS compatible with realistic RV acceleration.)

I presume that since HEQS predates realistic RV acceleration, all vehicles use the default settings. If I can manage to figure out how to add the correct lines of code to the eGRVTS NFO and get it working, would you like some help tweaking HEQS? Raising their TE would help these vehicles perform better than the stock or eGRVTS vehicles on steep hills, with heavy loads, etc. Let me know what you think.
Who is John Galt?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

ostlandr wrote:I presume that since HEQS predates realistic RV acceleration, all vehicles use the default settings.
HEQS was a test grf for realistic RV acceleration :)

I've tested most of the vehicles on long hills with the default 'steepness' setting. Terkhen also did quite a lot of testing as well. Some vehicles will perform well on hills, some will not :P

Return to “Graphics Development”