[OTTD] ...BANDIT...

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] ...BANDIT...

Post by SkeedR »

Last known as: Weirdy
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That made me LOL. :lol:
But seriously, yes, that's what I'd like as well.

More specifically:
I'd like it if refitting changes the graphics of the trailer depending on the cargo.
So instead of the classic approach of purchasing a flatbed, boxvan or hopper trailer that comes with a truck, I think it would be much better to purchase the truck and then refit the trailer to whatever you want to carry. That would make for a very clean purchase list: if you have for instance 10 generations of truck, there would be only 10 entries in the purchase list.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Looking back a bit I saw one of your old posts Andy, talking about spliting up BANDIT into multiple grfs to suit the players need's.

Instead what about tackling BANDIT's parameters like HEQS and use the new parameter system to add options for removing/adding features, vehicle types, and even countires like America, Australia, and Europe (maybe add a misc for road trains or other large trucks from other countries, like maybe South America or India)

This way it will be one big grf rather then multiple smaller grf's which might be a little harder to maintain while keeping the number of loaded grf's to a minimum for players ease of use and for limited systems.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:Instead what about tackling BANDIT's parameters like HEQS
Yes, this is my plan now. There will be parameters to turn groups of trucks on or off, e.g. 'Euro', 'North America', 'Australasia' etc.

It needs a bit of thought because some trucks will be in more than one group, for example. Australia also uses North American and European truck types.

I'll also use the groups to allow the very large trucks to be disabled, as the capacity might be too high for some MP servers (100s of tons).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Instead what about tackling BANDIT's parameters like HEQS
Yes, this is my plan now. There will be parameters to turn groups of trucks on or off, e.g. 'Euro', 'North America', 'Australasia' etc.

It needs a bit of thought because some trucks will be in more than one group, for example. Australia also uses North American and European truck types.

I'll also use the groups to allow the very large trucks to be disabled, as the capacity might be too high for some MP servers (100s of tons).
What about defining where the truck comes from, and where the truck is mainly used. Like a big truck made in USA but used in Australia.

Could also make it so that even say your parameters are like this

Regions
North America : Off
European : Off
Australia : On
Asia : Off
Misc : Off

This would still result in some trucks that where made in north america being available even with only Australian trucks on and everything else turned off.

Oh, btw, if we try to add some asian trucks (not those tiny deliver trucks they use for small stuff), like the big trucks used in The himilians/India, or those big decked out trucks in Japan.

Another thing, will trucks have car racks for when being used with ECS, and maybe for FIRS a flat bed truck with heavy machinery like diggers and dozers, or a eye candy car rack. It also might be nice to use a car rack for when no set is used or using OpenGFX Industries.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
MinchinWeb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MinchinWeb »

Another vehicle combination that I think would be cool to see is the Pickup Truck + Fifth Wheel + Boat combination. Like this:
Pickup Truck + Fifth Wheel + Boat
Pickup Truck + Fifth Wheel + Boat
345332244.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
In Alberta, Canada, the rules are:
  • - Two trailers can only be towed if the lead trailer is a fifth wheel trailer with at least two axles in tandem.
    - The length from the front of the towing vehicle to the rear of the last trailer can not exceed 20 metres
    - The hitch fastening the second trailer to the first trailer must be fastened to the frame of the first trailer
    - The longer trailer must be the first trailer
As for OpenTTD, I'm not sure what it would transport...tourists? passengers?
Alberta Town Names - 1500+ real names from 'Acme' to 'Zama City'
MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator - providing 2 million plus names...
WmDOT v13 - An AI that doubles as your highway department
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I've seen this setup with construction flat bed trucks, Theres a tractor, then a fifth wheel flatbed, then either a box trailer for equipment or a large disel powered air compressor or generator
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

MinchinWeb wrote:Another vehicle combination that I think would be cool to see is the Pickup Truck + Fifth Wheel + Boat combination. Like this:
345332244.jpg
In Alberta, Canada, the rules are:
  • - Two trailers can only be towed if the lead trailer is a fifth wheel trailer with at least two axles in tandem.
    - The length from the front of the towing vehicle to the rear of the last trailer can not exceed 20 metres
    - The hitch fastening the second trailer to the first trailer must be fastened to the frame of the first trailer
    - The longer trailer must be the first trailer
As for OpenTTD, I'm not sure what it would transport...tourists? passengers?
Well Im sure this idea could be adapted to use a Super Duty pickup, and two box trailers for hualing goods at highway speeds to remote communities or to parts of a big city
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

imho this set should only feature "generic" trucks. anything that's "exotic" should be moved to HEQS or some different set.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Any chance of a generic template for the tractor's so that maybe people can help add to the set easily? Most north american trucks would only need a few changes to a sprite
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

This set will feature standard on-highway trucks, large highway-legal roadtrains, doubles and triples, and off-highway trucks that are also highway legal. The smallest trucks will be around 3t and the largest around 120t. Exotic vehicles won't be included in BANDIT.

Parameters for regions will be as Neko guessed. The tricky bit is coding vehicles to be in more than one group. It's not hard to implement, just needs a small amount of thought.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

suggestion for the parameters: use a bitmask.
And then for vehicles in multiple regions "if bit x is set or bit y is set".

Of course a separate parameter for each region accomplishes the same thing ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

andythenorth wrote:The tricky bit is coding vehicles to be in more than one group. It's not hard to implement, just needs a small amount of thought.
this works very well in CETS, the idea goes like this:

Code: Select all

avail_set1 = (some magic about which parameters are selected => true/false)
avail_set2 = (some other magic)
[...]
#define veh1_available avail_set1
#define veh2_available avail_set2
#define veh3_available avail_set1 || avail_set2
[...]
property {
    climates_available: (vehX_available)?ALL_CLIMATES:NO_CLIMATE;
}
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Nice work so far, I see that we have some stuff in BANDIT now, even if it is just the same truck graphics with mis-aligned trailers :P I cant wait to see how BANDIT will turn out when its ready for its first stable release :p
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Just noticed this and posting to say that this is awesome, as an Australian I'm quite used to seeing intimidatingly huge road trains on the road carrying all kinds of cargo.

Nice that this seems to be a standalone GRF too, I might be sticking this next to eGRVTS or Bob's Random British Vehicles or whatever else I can find. (any good road vehicle sets anyone could reccomend, actually?) I assume the uses for road trains in-game will be similar to real-life, filling a similar niche to light freight trains in areas where it's too expensive or impractical to lay rails.
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Ooh, nice.

What timeframe are we looking at, then? As in, when are the first trucks in this set gonna be introduced?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Sabre_Justice wrote:What timeframe are we looking at, then? As in, when are the first trucks in this set gonna be introduced?
~1904 for internal combustion trucks.
If I draw steam trucks, maybe a little earlier.

Return to “Graphics Development”