[UNIV] Comic Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [UNIV] Comic Set

Post by planetmaker »

Thanks for all the replies concerning building stages :-) Just another proposal (I think XeryusTC mentioned this already, though):
partially coloured house
partially coloured house
alex149_buildingstages.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
It will be a truely hard decision which way to go :-)

EDIT: another variation:
or maybe better this way. Then it's always clear which building is going to be build. And no plain white places...
or maybe better this way. Then it's always clear which building is going to be build. And no plain white places...
alex149_buildingstages2.png (10.55 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

I like the second one. An all white house in the building stage seems annoying because you cannot see the structure of the house before being built.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

The second one seems better indeed :) and yes, the idea is very simular to mine although I would do the roof last to give the feeling of the building being build from the ground up and not having the roof suspended in mid air ;)
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

XeryusTC wrote:The second one seems better indeed :) and yes, the idea is very simular to mine although I would do the roof last to give the feeling of the building being build from the ground up and not having the roof suspended in mid air ;)
Good idea. I think I'll go for this 2nd way. It seems to me the comic way of doing things - and I found a way to moderately easily get those building stages done (maybe 20 minutes or so per house for the building stage graphics).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I haven't read exactly the entire topic, but I saw that you asked for a way to script gimp to do mass-resizing. I myself had the same problem when I've got a bunch of photos to upload and want to resize them down a bit. After a bit of searching I found this solution: http://photocomix-resources.deviantart. ... B-73910770. It is a plugin that adds a dialog for performing common actions on a bunch of files. Though, I see now that this seams to be Windows only. I have tried to do real gimp scripts a bit, but it takes quite some time to get it right. On Linux you should easier be able to add support for other languages than scheme such as Python unless you really love scheme.

You might also want to try experimenting with imagemagick which is a command line tool for manipulating images. An example stolen from a gimp website:

Code: Select all

ls *.jpg | xargs -I NAME convert NAME -resize 320x320 x320-NAME
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Sorry for bumping this, but... is this still happening? I was really looking forward to this set, so I'm wondering if it will ever be continued.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I think that this set is corrently suffering from people not contributing graphics ;)
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Well... yes, it needs all those houses transformed to nice building stages as shown as "the other variant" in this posting above. It's not dead, it's not forgotten, but it's a bit on hiatus as I got side-tracked.

If there's some person willing to do this graphics work, it is pretty easy afterwards add all those houses to this set :-) as it's with this set's framework just adding them to a list with some reasonable stats.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

Nine months ago I contacted Planetmaker, because I wanted to draw the streets. But the streets "sits" on the grass tiles wich should be drawn as first. I had some tries and none of the results was satisfying.

First try (left one) was IMHO to nervous, second one (right one) had to much contrasts. Maybe the grass should be uni colour and the "bumpy" grass should have some coloured dots (like flowers).
IMHO useless grass tiles
IMHO useless grass tiles
ottd-comic-test3.png (14.73 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
Yesterday I played first time since some months with the comic set. I decided to draw again. But it is no grass and no street. It is the headquarter (yes I know, it is a townbuilding set), maybe it will be usefull in a later stage of the set.

The driveway onto the plot will be at the same place in every stage. Later stages will have a subterranean garage. A sketch for the first tree stages.
First try with three of the headquarters
First try with three of the headquarters
hq-all.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
As last a hand scetch for all five (?) stages.
hq-hand-scetch.png
hq-hand-scetch.png (14.43 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
Tschö, Auge
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Auge, I really do like that grass on the left. I agree that the right-hand one is too contrasting.
How much more work was there to get the one on the left in-game?
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I love the left one too. The bright green goes well with the comic style graphics.
And nice HQs, it is indeed a very good idea to keep the entrance always on the same tile.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
stevenh wrote:Auge, I really do like that grass on the left. I agree that the right-hand one is too contrasting.
How much more work was there to get the one on the left in-game?
If I remember correct[1], the backsides, the rocky and the bumpy tiles has to be drawn ... not to forget the coding. Then we will have a temperature climate set. The "problem" is, that I have a job where I sit on a computer all the day. Therefore I don't start my own machine every single day and not every time I start it I want to draw. Maybe I'll need one or two months because I need to fiddle with the palette again[1].

[1] nine months ago, you know :-)

Tschö, Auge
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Indeed, I think the left version of the ground tiles is not that bad at all. Maybe I'd make it slightly darker.

Besides, it's nice to see some work in this respect being done :-) I can well imagine that a HQ can be part of the house set. The ground tiles would be from my POV a separate newgrf, though; they then should take care of the water features, too as the ground anyway interacts with them on the shore tiles. Which then leads to... roads and tracks... Though the latter could be implemented better as railtypes which disable the default tracks; that'd save some drawing and allow for more flexibility.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
planetmaker wrote:Indeed, I think the left version of the ground tiles is not that bad at all. Maybe I'd make it slightly darker.
I searched for a similar colour to the original comic set. Thatswhy it is so bright.
planetmaker wrote:Besides, it's nice to see some work in this respect being done :-) I can well imagine that a HQ can be part of the house set.
Let's see ... The shown scetch is not in TTD-palette, it is not complete (all five (once again: ?) stages (Are there buildings stages like in Locomotion?)) and it lacks–to come to the next point–the needed streets.
planetmaker wrote:The ground tiles would be from my POV a separate newgrf, though; they then should take care of the water features, too as the ground anyway interacts with them on the shore tiles. Which then leads to... roads and tracks... Though the latter could be implemented better as railtypes which disable the default tracks; that'd save some drawing and allow for more flexibility.
As Meister Röhricht said: "Arbeit zieht Arbeit nach sich." (possible translation: "a task generates tasks (unavoidable!)". ;-)

Tschö, Auge
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

There are also headquarters in simutrans and thus in the comic set. I mean there are much more images in pak96.comic than displayed here. It boils down to asking Alexander Brose (since Auge is german, maybe directly at the german simutrans forum: http://www.simutrans-forum.de/forum/thr ... eadid=1548
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
planetmaker wrote:... Which then leads to... roads and tracks... Though the latter could be implemented better as railtypes which disable the default tracks; that'd save some drawing and allow for more flexibility.
Rails could be drawn separately from the ground tiles (as railtypes), is that correct? Otherwise, streets have to be drawn with the ground tiles?

Anyway, I comleted the first scetch for the hq:
hq-all.png
hq-all.png (4.43 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Tschö, Auge
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Moin,
Auge wrote:Rails could be drawn separately from the ground tiles (as railtypes), is that correct? Otherwise, streets have to be drawn with the ground tiles?
Yes and Yes.

Nice headquaters :-)
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

Something around one and a half year later ...

Here is a first ingame screenshot of the first ground tiles prototype. No rough land, no rocks and maybe not the best colours for every direction but it is a starting point.
csls-prototype-#1.png
csls-prototype-#1.png (80.05 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Tschö, Auge
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Now, I call that a very nice screenshot :-) Makes me yearn for more of it :-)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I like it. Keep us updated with any future screenshots please :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

Return to “Graphics Development”