UK Towns Set [v3.0/spiritual successor now out]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: UK Towns Set [v3.0 - 'ExtraZoom' in development]

Post by Zephyris »

PaulC wrote:...I think the set would really benefit from having some more distinctive and varied building types, though I appreciate that that's already on your to-do list.
I actually tried to make these sprites look quite uniform; my idea was to make a nice 'foundation' for the set, then I could (hopefully) add more distinctive buildings later. I think it also works well for game play. Which town zones did you find most bland? Should I be focusing on the suburbs or the centre?
PaulC wrote:The actual graphics are really nice though, I have to say I prefer these over the old ones. :) Are you planning a similar makeover for the OpenGFX base set?
I'm working on it... It's a big job though!
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Zephyris wrote:I actually tried to make these sprites look quite uniform; my idea was to make a nice 'foundation' for the set, then I could (hopefully) add more distinctive buildings later. I think it also works well for game play. Which town zones did you find most bland? Should I be focusing on the suburbs or the centre?
I guess that's what I meant, that it feels more like the beginnings of a set rather than something that's nearer to being "finished". It seems to be crying out for a church or stadium (or whatever), some multi-tile buildings just to break things up a bit. I don't think any zone in particular is problematic, it's more of a general thing.

Definitely looking forward to what you come up with next! :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Well, as I gradually march through the default buildings I'll be drawing some of those! I'll add them as I make them...
Dave

Post by Dave »

:shock:

2018 is go go go!

Lovely work.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I had a look at the beta. :) It's interesting to see someone else's take on doing more nuanced house placement (eg clusters of warehouses, smaller inner-inner zones).
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Thanks! You were an inspiration for this set, I think even a small change to give some building clustering can have a big effect to make a town feel more real... Any thoughts on the graphics? A good feel for TTD?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

They're very nice, although I'm not totally sure about the scale - the houses feel a bit too big, and the commercial buildings a bit too small. It's probably just a matter of taste.

Obviously it's early days, but the repetitive elements of the buildings, particularly the terrace yards and the high-contrast windowsills, start to lose coherence in big towns. More variety and more open space (parks, squares) would be good, but I suppose that will come. :) Also, longer minimum lifespans on the buildings would help towns maintain their character as they grow, rather than having their larger buildings constantly replaced and shuffled.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Mmm, I see what you mean with the repetitive bits. I'm still trying to be a bit clever and use recolourings rather than hundreds of sprites, but looks like a bit more cleverness is needed... Longer building lifespan is definitely a good idea.

I'd like to try to get some more variety in the town by adding squares/plazas which cluster and something like a shopping center/shopping streets which tend to cluster and add some variety. I'd rather try to add clever buildings rather than landmarks, those feel a bit like a cop out for adding variety!
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

FWIW, I dont mind the repetitive-ness of this set. the terraces seem to do a good job of caricaturing British-ish towns to me.

I definitely think plazas and other more 'communal' building will help, and also I endorse Pikka's call for longer lives for the more unique buildings.

Have you figured out a way to make shops cluster onto shopping streets?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Shops do already cluster a bit, but I can try to turn up the clustering a little :) I was wondering if I should try to get shops to prefer being near bus stops/stations too...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Realism please, IRL there are residential, commercial and industrial zones. In UK Town Set, they would concern the residential houses / apartment blocks, office blocks and shops, and warehouses.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

full-english_uk-townset.png
(274.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And, years later, there's now a full newGRF! I've christened it "Full English - UK Townset", and it's on BaNaNaS right now. Or, browse the source on Github: https://github.com/zephyris/openttd-new ... ll-english.

There's a lot of changes since these old posts, try out the newGRF and enjoy :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

\o/
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Nice, only a very early start with only a few buildings available, I would have expected more variety of historic buildings. :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I'm open to adding more buildings, but I'm not sure what you mean...Default game start is 1950, and everything except office blocks, skyscrapers and superstores are available. What did you have in mind?
pvernon
Engineer
Engineer

Re: UK Towns Set [v3.0/spiritual successor now out]

Post by pvernon »

I think I can answer that.
The earliest locomotive is around 1820 and there are canals starting about 1760. (both round numbers) I like to start at about 1850.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: UK Towns Set [v3.0/spiritual successor now out]

Post by Argus »

Who starts in the default year 1950, when the fun can start in a much earlier year? This was true for the original TTD where an earlier date could not be entered. There are few historical buildings. The year 1950 is long gone, moreover, it would not even be worth playing with steam trains in this year, when it is almost time for their end.

Return to “Graphics Development”