[OTTD] UKRS2 - Latest version 1.05 (02/01/2013)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: [OTTD] PJ1K (UKRS) - Public Alpha (pa 0.2) 25/10/2009

Post by PikkaBird »

Thanks Lawton, glad to hear you're enjoying it so far. :D

As far as futuristic locos go, I had an idea to have "preserved/rebuilt" steam engines rather then the Wardale. That's still in the early planning stages though. As for maglev, I was planning to either include the NARS maglev and deactivate it if NARS was also loaded, or alternatively to make it a seperate GRF; there's no point duplicating the maglevs or having different maglevs between the two sets.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Or someone could do broad gauge. :twisted:
Something goes here, hell if I know.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Maybe have something based off the tornado A1, that was built in 2008. (http://www.a1steam.com/)
And I presume a preserved A4.
Another note, most preserved steam locomotives haul carriages similar to those hauled in the picture below (sorry I don't know the name), will you be making something like that available or will they change livery when attached?
That sounds like a good Idea for maglev's, ether would probably be fine, I'd recommend the first option of having them deactivate if NARS is loaded.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Tornado pulls that maroon coach because that's for it's support staff - since there are no regular staff on the UK network to refill a steam engine. If it was in normal use, that wouldn't be there :-)

The rest of the rake are uniform, usually - although you're right that during the days of BR then they often hauled mixed-livery rakes.
Jon
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

audigex wrote:Tornado pulls that maroon coach because that's for it's support staff - since there are no regular staff on the UK network to refill a steam engine. If it was in normal use, that wouldn't be there :-)

The rest of the rake are uniform, usually - although you're right that during the days of BR then they often hauled mixed-livery rakes.
That's generally what I meant, I was looking for an image of just the 2nd carriage onwards (but I'm lazy), however you raze a good point with the staff car, would preserved steam engines in PJ1K require one?, possibly in the form of at least one mail coach in the consist before its allowed to run.

Also I've found something on the Network Rail website that offers a view of a new train in development, from what I've heard it will be able to reach speeds of 200mph:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/5890.aspx
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

That's not so much "in development" as "a vague proposal"

I doubt the train will look anything like that - it's just a generic "fast looking" shape.
Jon
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

lawton27 wrote:I was looking for an image of just the 2nd carriage onwards (but I'm lazy)
They're probably British Rail Mk1s.

A 'Preserved Steam Locomotive" in PJ1K will likely be a random locomotive (Pacific, Streak, Jubilee, 9F), limited to 60mph.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

I've come across a slight graphical problem, it's to do with the 0-8-0 mineral, as seen in the attached screenshot there's a white line just behind the Bogie Bolster, it looks like its a problem with the tender sprite.
Attachments
Lenfingbridge Transport, 14th Mar 1912.png
(397.18 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Hmm,

With the diesels, I'm currently using 2cc for the early liveries, so there's a colour change between the small-warning-panel era and the full-yellow-end era. However, since the second company colour is usually used for highlights, it looks.. odd, with most colour schemes people would use.

I'm leaning towards using 1CC for the early liveries instead. What do people think? You can try it out with the Class 37 and MetCam DMU in the current alpha.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

PikkaBird wrote:Hmm,

With the diesels, I'm currently using 2cc for the early liveries, so there's a colour change between the small-warning-panel era and the full-yellow-end era. However, since the second company colour is usually used for highlights, it looks.. odd, with most colour schemes people would use.

I'm leaning towards using 1CC for the early liveries instead. What do people think? You can try it out with the Class 37 and MetCam DMU in the current alpha.
I've had a look at them, it's important the locomotives look good, in my opinion they don't need to be 2cc, some things in the 2cc set can be rather in your face with the glaring colors, I think you've came up with a good solution, you still see some of the 2nd CC as some livery's use it. So I'd be happy if you keep it as it is, nice job with the livery variation of the A4, it's nice to see latter versions with no skirting.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

PikkaBird wrote: I'm leaning towards using 1CC for the early liveries instead. What do people think? You can try it out with the Class 37 and MetCam DMU in the current alpha.
Umm No Insult, but they look awful with the one color all by itself. Maybe you could have the 2nd color with the 1st color stripe below it for the early eras?
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Comm Cody wrote:
PikkaBird wrote: I'm leaning towards using 1CC for the early liveries instead. What do people think? You can try it out with the Class 37 and MetCam DMU in the current alpha.
Umm No Insult, but they look awful with the one color all by itself. Maybe you could have the 2nd color with the 1st color stripe below it for the early eras?
I disagree, its ok if the shading is there and you sprites use yellow and grey.

Also I have a suggestion, if you find time for the sprites maybe you could have a small chance (say one in 40) that when you build a pacific before 1945 it is skinned as a streamlined LMS Coronation Class, Light Pacific or Merchant Navy. and they would be added to the sprite list of a restored steam engine.

I played with NARS and I was impressed with the union flags by the UK engines, I presume there will be a US flag by the US trains eventually, also will you be able to attach pj1k standard carriages to say a turbo train and they re skin to turbo train cars, for added compatibility.

One final point, earlier you said the restored steam engine would be limited to 60mph, restored steams in the UK are limited to 90mph or so.

Sorry if i seam rather naggy(I know I will do) but I'm keen to express my opinions and ideas for the next version of my favorite set whilst it's in development.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

I liked the fact that you had some hints about the normal usage of the loco´s in the description in the previous UKRset. Would it be possible to bring that back? Other than that, I really like the new, rescaled sprites, it 'feels' a lot better now.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

lawton27 wrote:Also I have a suggestion, if you find time for the sprites maybe you could have a small chance (say one in 40) that when you build a pacific before 1945 it is skinned as a streamlined LMS Coronation Class, Light Pacific or Merchant Navy. and they would be added to the sprite list of a restored steam engine.
I don't really want to take the time to do that. I'm sure someone will come up with a Bulleid Pacific for the addon set. ;)
I played with NARS and I was impressed with the union flags by the UK engines, I presume there will be a US flag by the US trains eventually, also will you be able to attach pj1k standard carriages to say a turbo train and they re skin to turbo train cars, for added compatibility.
I probably won't bother with the US flags. What would be the point of letting the turbo use UK carriages for US MUs and vice versa?
broodje wrote:I liked the fact that you had some hints about the normal usage of the loco´s in the description in the previous UKRset. Would it be possible to bring that back? Other than that, I really like the new, rescaled sprites, it 'feels' a lot better now.
I'm open to suggestions on this. How much detail do you like? How technical/poetic should it be? I don't mind giving players hints, but I don't want them to feel restricted in what they can do.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

PikkaBird wrote: What would be the point of letting the turbo use UK carriages for US MUs and vice versa?
Say if I was in a game with both sets, the main carriages for both sets would effectively be the same thing, I might want to upgrade some trains useing UK carriages to turbo trains.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I see. That won't be possible, sorry.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

PikkaBird wrote:
lawton27 wrote:Also I have a suggestion, if you find time for the sprites maybe you could have a small chance (say one in 40) that when you build a pacific before 1945 it is skinned as a streamlined LMS Coronation Class, Light Pacific or Merchant Navy. and they would be added to the sprite list of a restored steam engine.
I don't really want to take the time to do that. I'm sure someone will come up with a Bulleid Pacific for the addon set. ;)
Yes Pikka I get the hint. :P
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

PikkaBird wrote:
broodje wrote:I liked the fact that you had some hints about the normal usage of the loco´s in the description in the previous UKRset. Would it be possible to bring that back? Other than that, I really like the new, rescaled sprites, it 'feels' a lot better now.
I'm open to suggestions on this. How much detail do you like? How technical/poetic should it be? I don't mind giving players hints, but I don't want them to feel restricted in what they can do.
For me I'm mostly interested in just the texts like they were in UKRS, I don't have any other needs :). that way I can play 'realistic' when want to play realistic I obeying the hints in the descriptions, if I feel like playing around I can do that too.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Comm Cody wrote:Yes Pikka I get the hint. :P
Singaporekid did it for the UKRS, he may do it again. ;)
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

broodje wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:
For me I'm mostly interested in just the texts like they were in UKRS, I don't have any other needs :). that way I can play 'realistic' when want to play realistic I obeying the hints in the descriptions, if I feel like playing around I can do that too.
The obvious thing would be to give a description of what sort of run will be most profitable.

Eg pannier tank - 5 carriages on short passenger runs. Express Pax/Express freight isn't that helpful - I'd like something more about the length of the train and journey.

Physically limiting what they can haul will probably be outside what you want to do - people use UKRS, IMO, for the optional realism rather than wanting something enforced.
Jon

Return to “Graphics Development”