Some Simple Questions

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Harris6310
Engineer
Engineer

Some Simple Questions

Post by Harris6310 »

Hi im Harris and im new too the forums. I have been reading around about and I know how to add new GRFs to my game but how do I make them? Is there any special software to make them? and also do I need the source? Please help me. :D
FHS
Director
Director

Re: Some Simple Questions

Post by FHS »

At first you need to do some graphics. There is a tutorial availible called purnos drawing tutorial (Warning: A bit outdated).
Second you need to code your graphics into a grf, this can be done by writing a plain nfo code (NFO Specifications) and running GRFCodec to compile it into a grf file. The other (Lazy) way is to use GRFMaker.
Harris6310
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Harris6310 »

Thankyou. Im reading the drawing tutorial now. What sizes do the trains have to be? Is there set dimensions I have to follow? Sorry for all the questions.
FHS
Director
Director

Post by FHS »

Harris6310 wrote:Thankyou. Im reading the drawing tutorial now. What sizes do the trains have to be? Is there set dimensions I have to follow? Sorry for all the questions.
Well, not quite. You can make smaller sprites but with largers you might get graphical glitches and clipping problems.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Harris6310 wrote:What sizes do the trains have to be? Is there set dimensions I have to follow?
Look here - http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=655322#p655322 and onwards some posts, you will find some info. Do note that not all designers have the same idea about the graphics proportions ("artistic freedom").
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

To expand on Ander's point - don't worry too much about exact sizes etc, the best thing to do is often not 100% accurate, but gives the best appearance. If you're modelling something real, your real aim is usually to get it looking right; even if that means missing out details to allow for a bigger area of colour.

Also, if you can't get a shape looking right - shading is often the answer. A few pixels made darker can make a lot of difference.
Jon
Harris6310
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Harris6310 »

Im sorry but this doesnt make sense to me. Im making a office building. What are the max image dimensions?
Sabret00th
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sabret00th »

Here's what I found in Purno's drawing tutorial :
A full tile in TT is 32 pixels long in X and Y directions.
I think you can make it bigger than this, but will result in errors in displaying (you have to ask someone more experienced with that here).
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Harris6310 wrote:Im sorry but this doesnt make sense to me. Im making a office building. What are the max image dimensions?
2x2tiles and pretty much as tall as you please. Im not sure what the actual limit is, but TTRS does have some quite tall buildings...
Member of the
ImageImage
Harris6310
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Harris6310 »

Thankyou. And I can use blender to do this?
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Harris6310 wrote:Thankyou. And I can use blender to do this?
For standard 8bbp graphics you will be better off using a drawing program and drawing pixel by pixel. If you want to contribute to the 32bbp graphics please look here for a graphic which is not yet done and build a 32bbp version of it, for which you can indeed use Blender (or 3Dsmax).
Harris6310
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Harris6310 »

tsjook wrote:For standard 8bbp graphics you will be better off using a drawing program and drawing pixel by pixel.
But you cant add a Z axis into drawing programs.
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Z-axis? You'll just have to draw pixel by pixel. Pixels are still flat, you know.:wink:
Harris6310
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Harris6310 »

Ok now how do I add the graphic to GRF Maker? I have it as a .pcx
FHS
Director
Director

Post by FHS »

Harris6310 wrote:Ok now how do I add the graphic to GRF Maker? I have it as a .pcx
You cand find a tutorial about how to do that right here

Return to “Graphics Development”