Broad Gauge

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Broad Gauge

Post by trainman1432 »

Broad Gauge

I am thinking about this... and made it with legos. Now I am trying to make it in openttd, because of the lack of capacity that is standard gauge.

Note: all trains are my from my imagination, as of august 27, 2015. That being said, I may make real broad gauge trains.
Jetrain
YATTC
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Broad Gauge

Post by trainman1432 »

-<reserved for grf>-
Jetrain
YATTC
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

trainman1432 wrote:-<reserved for grf>-
that doesn't work. only the first post will stay open for editing, the other posts will be locked (i think after a week or so)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Well first of all, it'd be nice if a broad gauge railtype grf was made, this way we can properly play a russian or indian railroad. Theres also Ireland, South Australia, Poland, etc
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

You don't need a broad gauge railtype, the rails are really broad already, also, the ~8cm difference in broadness are barely visible.

you only need a broad gauge railtype if you intend to have both broad and standard gauge trains on the same map. (i think the spain set had something like this planned)
railroader123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by railroader123 »

It would be nice for a Broad Gauge rail set to be added as it seems it is rarely looked upon. The original GWR is my example.
Dave

Post by Dave »

GWR Broad Gauge was 7ft... Quite a bit more than "8cm" different to Standard Gauge of 4ft 8.5in!!! Some 62cm in fact!

But even that wouldn't look that different. I imagine there'd also be a few clipping issues for significantly broader vehicles?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Dave wrote:GWR Broad Gauge was 7ft...
i have absolutely no imagination how much that is.

but current gauges are in the order of 1.5m, whereas wagons are over 3m wide. yet, in the game, wagons are about the same width as the rails. so for all intents and purposes, the rails are already "broad" by almost any measure you could come up with.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Eddi wrote:
Dave wrote:GWR Broad Gauge was 7ft...
i have absolutely no imagination how much that is.

but current gauges are in the order of 1.5m, whereas wagons are over 3m wide. yet, in the game, wagons are about the same width as the rails. so for all intents and purposes, the rails are already "broad" by almost any measure you could come up with.
Chuffing Europeans.

7ft is 2,134mm (so just under 1.5 times wider than standard gauge, which is 1,435mm)
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

andythenorth wrote:For what it's worth, broad gauge was considered for the Brit roster in Iron Horse. We didn't do it because it just doesn't add anything to gameplay.
This is different.
Broad gauge will have insane capcities, and horsepower, at a high price, and running cost.
Remember this is all fictional atm :wink:
Jetrain
YATTC
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

What fun would it be if you only need exactly one train to transport all?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Alberth wrote:What fun would it be if you only need exactly one train to transport all?
One train to rule them all, one train to bind them. One train to bring them all and in the gameplay bind them. We shall name this train the Dark Locomotive.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Sounds good to me, OpenTTD shall then also put the black track throughout the landscape, bringing darkness in the country, and send the Dark Locomotive on its way, for your pleasure of seeing the plot getting unfolded without getting involved in dark deeds.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

An addon set for 2CC could easily be written for this, as that contains many broad gauge locomotives. I could put together a spreadsheet documenting which ones exactly if this project gets anywhere.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Alberth wrote:What fun would it be if you only need exactly one train to transport all?
I didn't say that
Jetrain
YATTC
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

So what do you say with "insane capacity" then?

To me, it means you are trying to reduce the number of trains. I don't understand how that improves game play. In my view, if you want to move insane amounts of cargo, it's a lot more challenging/fun to do it with more trains rather than less trains.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Alberth wrote:So what do you say with "insane capacity" then?

To me, it means you are trying to reduce the number of trains. I don't understand how that improves game play. In my view, if you want to move insane amounts of cargo, it's a lot more challenging/fun to do it with more trains rather than less trains.
Have you had a a station with too much cargo :roll: ?

As for train reduction, partly yes because who want a clammed-up train network? :|
Jetrain
YATTC
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

trainman1432 wrote:Have you had a a station with too much cargo :roll: ?
I've had ones with much, but never too much. To me, that's the fun of the game, re-organizing the station to handle the cargo that you get.
trainman1432 wrote:As for train reduction, partly yes because who want a clammed-up train network? :|
/me raises hand
Making a network run smooth is also a nice challenge! :D

However, if you don't want such challenges, why do you get yourself into that situation? Bigger wagons is just a temporary solution, production will continue to grow and you'll run into the same problem again a few years later, except with your bigger wagons, so you can't "cheat" your way out with even bigger wagons any more.

It would seem much simpler to me not to get such high production. There are reduced pax town generation newgrfs, and industry newgrfs that have fixed production rates. Maybe those are much more useful to you?
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Alberth wrote:
trainman1432 wrote:Have you had a a station with too much cargo :roll: ?
I've had ones with much, but never too much. To me, that's the fun of the game, re-organizing the station to handle the cargo that you get.
trainman1432 wrote:As for train reduction, partly yes because who want a clammed-up train network? :|
/me raises hand
Making a network run smooth is also a nice challenge! :D

However, if you don't want such challenges, why do you get yourself into that situation? Bigger wagons is just a temporary solution, production will continue to grow and you'll run into the same problem again a few years later, except with your bigger wagons, so you can't "cheat" your way out with even bigger wagons any more.

It would seem much simpler to me not to get such high production. There are reduced pax town generation newgrfs, and industry newgrfs that have fixed production rates. Maybe those are much more useful to you?
*sigh*
I like BIG towns. Not tiny ones.
And also, If i have massive stations, CPU=Dirt
Jetrain
YATTC

Return to “Graphics Development”