How do you make GRF Sets?(the ones you use in game)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Lemonaitor
Engineer
Engineer

How do you make GRF Sets?(the ones you use in game)

Post by Lemonaitor »

I may Sound stupid asking this, But I want to know how to make GRFs because I really want to have a god at making An improved British train set, And i want to know how to design them, and make them work how i want?

Please help,
thanks,
Lemonaitor
Stephen James Lemon
Ottomobeale
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How do you make GRF Sets?(the ones you use in game)

Post by Ottomobeale »

You mean like this one?

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=45149

1) Look at the NFO lessons etc at the top of this and a few other sections.

2) Start out helping a current project. Programming this stuff is neither user friendly nor easy to learn. Learn from the best and that aint me. Getting 1 locomotive is not all that straight forward; getting it to have an articulated tender, animated wheels, a pre 1920 start date... is another thing and more complicated. I have decompiled some of the larger grfs just to see what makes them tick. They are large, complex and masterfully created. Even using the wiki and looking line by line some lines in the code are not all that clear in exactly what they do if you are new to NFO programming. Compiling NFO makes grfs.

A bit terse but believe it or not, this is a nicer answer than this question usually gets which ususally is at best a semi hostile RTFM or somethimes outright hostile RTFM.

If you ever get real good at this how about a bunch of the early British singles and other early oddities... please! Love the Iron Duke!
Lemonaitor
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How do you make GRF Sets?(the ones you use in game)

Post by Lemonaitor »

Ottomobeale wrote:You mean like this one?

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=45149

1) Look at the NFO lessons etc at the top of this and a few other sections.

2) Start out helping a current project. Programming this stuff is neither user friendly nor easy to learn. Learn from the best and that aint me. Getting 1 locomotive is not all that straight forward; getting it to have an articulated tender, animated wheels, a pre 1920 start date... is another thing and more complicated. I have decompiled some of the larger grfs just to see what makes them tick. They are large, complex and masterfully created. Even using the wiki and looking line by line some lines in the code are not all that clear in exactly what they do if you are new to NFO programming. Compiling NFO makes grfs.
Thank you very much I shall look into it, because I really want to make a better britsh train set, With more variety, and More options, One of which is DVTs Which I'm guessing take a Hell Of amount of coding to make them work, Because The idea of dvts is to add them to the end of diesel or electric locomotive trains to make them act like a unit, I have seen this with the current british set, With how if you place a utility van at the end of a 91's Train it becomes a DVT and act like a DVT, But wat i really want is to see dvts that you can add to the and of a train and act like a loco, because other wise it looks like a Unrealistic run round Which i don't want., This could lead onto DBSOs And Earlier version of the DVT.(DVT stands for Driving van trailer and DBSO Stand for Diving Break Standard open)

I asked because Rather then moaning about these ideas, I would like to try and help get these ideas made into a proper working item.

thanks for your help
Stephen James Lemon

Return to “Graphics Development”