Hungarian Set / Colossal404's projects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Hungarian Set / Colossal404's projects

Post by Irwe »

Why not make some real life livery? Imo it's more colorfull and fun :]
Swedish Houses Version 1.1 Released
Swedish Road Vehicles Work in Progress
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Cause I design this set largely for more than one player in one game, so i'd like to make the trucks company colourable to separate the trucks of different players. And another reason, there is and was a lot of different real liveries and I can't choose one from them :roll:
BTW the player can choose a color combination what is close to the real livery :)

And last but not least I think they are colorful enough now :D
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Question:
How it's look better? With short or long trailer? (of course it will be articulated)
Attachments
t3.PNG
t3.PNG (1.25 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

If it is going to be articulated I'd say the long version. The short one would look good non-articulated (but with 2 wheels at the back in stead of 3)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Quast65 wrote:(but with 2 wheels at the back in stead of 3)
(and one wheel (read:axle) at the front, otherwise steering will be rather difficult)

But I agree, for a semi-trailer truck the longer version looks better.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Longer one, definetly. And for wheel configuration, 2+3 axles (truck + trailer) is good, since it's the most common one in Europe, apart from log and tipper trucks, and others that operate on gravel and mud roads, those could have 3+2 axles.
SniperDJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SniperDJ »

will your new version of the Hungarian trucks have compatibility with FIRS and ECS?

because i really like the truck set and find i a pity that the current version has no compatibility (you don't have to draw new sprites for them, i don't mind about that)
ImageImageTake a look at my Australia Scenario (work in progress)Image Proud citizen of The Netherlands
recently aquired the FCE
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Just curious; will the gigaliner be able to carry wood products/lumber as chips, as seen in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_byR5V1zww
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

SniperDJ: Yes, FIRS will be fully supported, other sets will be supported too with cargo classes, so don't have proper graphics for everything.

alluke: I like the idea, so yes, it could carry wood then.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

It took about ~25 mins to draw the diagonal view of the logo, but I think it totally worth it :) Am I the only one who's so satisfied with it?
Attachments
Currently only the / view done
Currently only the / view done
dhl.PNG (1.19 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Looks god to me - for mail trucks?
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I would love to see some more differences in the brightness of one wall within itself, something like the attachment shows, (arrows point at reflection/brightest points)

it is quite a bit different style of drawing but I think it makes it look a lot less flat.

Note that the attachment is supposed to make a metal wall reflection, so for a truck the technique would probably be better used a bit differently.

I like the DHL logo though :>
ImageImageImage
SniperDJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SniperDJ »

looks amazing for mail trucks, i'd use them!
ImageImageTake a look at my Australia Scenario (work in progress)Image Proud citizen of The Netherlands
recently aquired the FCE
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Yes, it's for mail trucks.
V453000 :) wrote:I would love to see some more differences in the brightness of one wall within itself, something like the attachment shows, (arrows point at reflection/brightest points)

it is quite a bit different style of drawing but I think it makes it look a lot less flat.

Note that the attachment is supposed to make a metal wall reflection, so for a truck the technique would probably be better used a bit differently.
Hm, I see no attachment... Anyways, it don't need to look less flat, because these trailers are regular rectangulars, so they have flat sides. And I just don't want to get the trailers and other cargo segments too complicated, because it's a lot easyer to repaint them to support cargo sets. So it's a bit of compromise. But thanks the advices!
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Here might be a tip for drawing logos along the side of lorries - it shouldn't take 25 minutes! :P. It's a technique I found for drawing billboards - obviously the same drawing technique.

You just draw a box --> You draw the image --> You shift each 2px rectangle down 1px.

Hopefully this will make sense! If not, download some of the HowTo images and zoom in for a better look.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Thanks!
But it won't look good if I simply shift down every 2 px, because this logo is italic, so it become a complex direction of the letters in diagonal.
President
President

OH yeah I prepared the image on my desktop but did not attach it, sorry ^^. It is probably a major change which would require "enhancing" the other vehicles too, which I doubt you want to do, but I think this effect gives even the "perfect rectagulars" a lot more depth.

By the way, just copying --- views to // or \\ is not always very usable, sometimes the --- view needs to be wider than the //, especially when you draw trains that is at least.

And if there is a logo, it just has to somehow resemble the original/other views :) so I dont think it is that simple. Viable solution, but I think it is better to spend a bit more time with it :p
Attachments
The arrows point at brightest points (reflection). More like metal reflection, trucks would need a bit less intense and more spread out.
The arrows point at brightest points (reflection). More like metal reflection, trucks would need a bit less intense and more spread out.
lighting.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
ImageImageImage
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Too much shading is just not my drawing style, so I keep the current strategy, but thanks these advices :)

And now I finish the other views too.
Now the question is that should I keep the company coloured tractor for this semitrailer or should I use yellow one for this trailer?
With yellow cab it look better, but in multiplayer games it would be nice if the players can see which thuck is whose.
Attachments
CC ones repainted to some random colurs, not sure if CC
CC ones repainted to some random colurs, not sure if CC
ccnotcc.PNG (2.37 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
President
President

I think the CC even looks better :)

Generally, I think that if a sprite is a mix of normal colours (usually greyscale + one, max two colours), it is very solid as in how it looks.
As opposed to CC-only vehicles which are very fragile to recolouring, as colours like white or orange always make it look a lot different than the darker/with more varying brightness colours.
To combine both I think is the best way, giving it a very solid appearance which cannot be "broken" by CC recolouring, but making it variable and giving the company-identity.

As most of the vehicle (the trailer) already is in normal colours, I think it is a good choice to make the cabin CC.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”