[OTTD] New Monorail Trains Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] New Monorail Trains Set

Post by andythenorth »

lawton27 wrote:A slow freight maglev has been suggested, nothing like that exists in the present day so try make it look futuristic, but slow and bulky at the same time
Ha that's a nice idea. Mostly I think so because over-use of fast maglev annoys me, but also because it's sci-fi cool.

I like the idea, and realism doesn't matter to much for the game, but I wonder why a freight maglev would be slow? Once the rolling friction is overcome, the only obstacle is air resistance. Except for gravity on hills I guess. And maybe safety in some strange way, but I can't imagine what. Maglev for freight is probably insanely expensive for freight in rl compared to steel wheel on steel rail. Anyway nice idea ;)

Wonder how it would brake? Would it have dynamic braking grids like US diesels? Things like that could give a guide to the shape...form follows function. Or just make it look cool :)
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

andythenorth wrote:
lawton27 wrote:A slow freight maglev has been suggested, nothing like that exists in the present day so try make it look futuristic, but slow and bulky at the same time
Ha that's a nice idea. Mostly I think so because over-use of fast maglev annoys me, but also because it's sci-fi cool.

I like the idea, and realism doesn't matter to much for the game, but I wonder why a freight maglev would be slow? Once the rolling friction is overcome, the only obstacle is air resistance. Except for gravity on hills I guess. And maybe safety in some strange way, but I can't imagine what. Maglev for freight is probably insanely expensive for freight in rl compared to steel wheel on steel rail. Anyway nice idea ;)

Wonder how it would brake? Would it have dynamic braking grids like US diesels? Things like that could give a guide to the shape...form follows function. Or just make it look cool :)
most maglevs use magnetic and air breaking, your speed point is good, maybe have it have a high top speed of say 150mph (not too fast) but a slow acceleration due to its weight, if Absolutis doesn't come back with something good in a couple of days I'll draw it, but unfortunately we may need to wait a while for the coding there's a huge queue of at least 12 locomotives waiting to be coded.
Absolutis
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Absolutis »

Srry, not doing it ;( :( :bow:
But i can help with coding (just stats, i have mac os.)
ImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Absolutis wrote:(just stats, i have mac os.)
GRFCodec and NFORenum are available for MacOS, so no more hiding behind your OS :P
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote:
Absolutis wrote:(just stats, i have mac os.)
GRFCodec and NFORenum are available for MacOS, so no more hiding behind your OS :P
That said: I have it on good authority that at least some of the coders of FIRS, HEQS, 2cctrainset, OpenGFX, OpenSFX and the Japanese Sets use a Mac to do the grf development and coding.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Absolutis wrote:Srry, not doing it ;( :( :bow:
But i can help with coding (just stats, i have mac os.)
Does mac not have paint?
Absolutis
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Absolutis »

it was just too hard. (should have started with a passenger coach or a simple-shaped engine)

EDIT: and mac HAD a paint program YEARS ago (back in W&B ages)
ImageImage
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

It might not be the freight maglev, but I've just stumbled across some graphics I drew a while back, I've added them to the list of stuff that needs coding on the devzone, anyone who is interested in stats should look there, for now here is some phancy pictures.
Attachments
TelferSheet.png
TelferSheet.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
UTM-02.png
UTM-02.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
TokyoCar.png
TokyoCar.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
Absolutis
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Absolutis »

lawton27 wrote:It might not be the freight maglev, but I've just stumbled across some graphics I drew a while back, I've added them to the list of stuff that needs coding on the devzone, anyone who is interested in stats should look there, for now here is some phancy pictures.
Look at this:

Name: TokyoCar
Designed: 2025
Weight: 275 tonnes
Consist: 1 car
Normal Speed: 150 km/h
Top Speed: 175 km/h
Power: 6,000 kW
Capacity: 64 passengers

Name: TelferSheet
Designed: 2020
Weight: 500 tonnes
Consist: 1 driving car, 5 carriages
Normal Speed: 220 km/h
Top Speed: 240 km/h
Power: 14,000 kW
Capacity: 300 crates of goods
Refittable to all but: Passengers, Oil (yes a freight train)

Name: UTM-02
Designed: 2050
Weight: 300 tonnes
Consist: 2 driving cars, 4 carriages
Normal Speed: 500 km/h
Top Speed: 600 km/h
Power: 17,000 kW
Capacity: 500 passengers
ImageImage
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

If you read the dev zone, I've already panned out some stats for them, thanks for trying to help anyway, they simply need coding together.

Alltough this set has lost momentum, probably due to 3 reasons; monlev relay quite boring to most players, lack of people working on the set, the first graphics coded where rather poor imo compared to some of the newer stuff I've got to go in it.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Why don't you give it a go yourself? After all it's nicely commented code and you can re-use much of it for each train. That cannot take longer than waiting for *someone* ;-)
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

planetmaker wrote:Why don't you give it a go yourself? After all it's nicely commented code and you can re-use much of it for each train. That cannot take longer than waiting for *someone* ;-)
I've tried to code it myself in the past and I actually was getting somewhere, but I don't seam to have the time to learn fully how to do it, neither do I have the latest version. I can therefore easily understand why it's getting nowhere.

Return to “Graphics Development”