Swedish Houses [Version 1.1 released 06/06/10]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Swedish Houses [Version 1.1 released 06/06/10]

Post by Kogut »

I forgot to said that the houses are great!
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Agree with the rest... very nice houses, and if I may add, very Gothenburg-ish if my eyes don't play around with me... :mrgreen:
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

FooBar wrote:Phone booths, benches, waste receptacles, mailboxes, things with flowers or other small foliage.
Kogut wrote:A bit of grass, bushes?
Yeah I could try some of that, but like AndersI said, streets are kind of empty in Sweden but just a few won't hurt.
AndersI wrote:Telephone booths are an endangered species in Sweden nowadays, but in the early years you could put in some of these:
Yes these are good, but since they are very uncommon I might just put them on 1 or 2 buildings.
FooBar wrote:Also, the houses look very nice indeed :D
Kogut wrote:I forgot to said that the houses are great!
Thank you :]
SAC wrote:Agree with the rest... very nice houses, and if I may add, very Gothenburg-ish if my eyes don't play around with me... :mrgreen:
They are indeed very Gothenburg-ish, maybe I should rename my set to Gothenburg-ish houses :P
Like 75 % of all my buildings are from buildings found in Gothenburg.
Swedish Houses Version 1.1 Released
Swedish Road Vehicles Work in Progress
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

What about Bicycles, Postboxes....
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Timmaexx wrote:What about Bicycles, Postboxes....
Yes it has already been suggested, thanks!
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Very nice set!

Just a minor bug. A few houses are getting stuck at building stage.
Attachments
stuckhouses.png
stuckhouses.png (35.2 KiB) Viewed 6491 times
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

Thanks for the bug report. I suspect that this is openttd bug as there is no way for newgrf to control construction stages(other than graphics), as far as I know. Also newgrf debug tools show that the age of the building remains always at 0 years. This bug seems to only happen with recent nightlies. However I have not been able to reproduce this with other house grfs which makes me wonder if it is something that I am doing wrong after all.

EDIT: http://bugs.openttd.org/task/4118
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

The bug was fixed in r20790 by frosch.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Wonderful! My houses are growing again. :mrgreen:
Aylo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aylo »

And I thought it is a feature for more realism :D
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

First of all: I really love this set. The houses are looking great... especially the highrises in modern cities...

But as much as I like them I have a problem with them. Maybe you take a look at my screenshot:
Nelson & Co., 1. Mai 2222.png
Nelson & Co., 1. Mai 2222.png (312.25 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
What you see is a small town with a small train station... but it is full of highrises... Every small town in my game looks like this, when it ist connected to my network. So I have no possibility to create small villages or towns with a few trains/buses a day...

My suggestion would be to allow high rises only in cities with at least 15.000 inhabitants.

Or is there maybe another way to avoid this behaviour?
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Did you turn off building roads for towns? If yes, it's the game's default mechanism, the city try to build new houses, but if there's no more space, the other choice is to build taller buildings, that is what the game do. I think that's not the city set's fault.
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

colossal404 wrote:Did you turn off building roads for towns? If yes, it's the game's default mechanism, the city try to build new houses, but if there's no more space, the other choice is to build taller buildings, that is what the game do. I think that's not the city set's fault.
I would guess that you are right, though maybe I should wait what Dwight has to say. This is why preventing towns from building roads does not solve the general problem of excessive town growth in OpenTTD. All house sets have this problem to some degree. (TTRS and North American City Set, both great sets, are the worst in this respect.)

Limiting high rise buildings to cities above a certain population, as Dwight suggest, does help a little. I have done that for the Japanese Building Set, check it out ;-) But it's not a perfect solution and I'm not really happy with it. For instance, when towns decide they want high density buildings and none is available, they might just leave empty space in the town center, which looks horrible. Some players also dislike it gameplay-wise.

On the other hand, when I played with the Swedish Houses a while ago, setting town growth to slow worked pretty well for me. Only the cities grew like crazy, most of the other towns remained quite reasonable.

But the only real solution to this whole problem would be a more sophisticated town growth mechanism. In fact, TTDPatch already has several switches controlling town growth. As for OpenTTD, I vaguely remember there was a patch once, but no idea what became of it.
BeSt-Com
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by BeSt-Com »

The diskussíon in the german tt-forum was: is it possible to prevent high-rise buildings.
Would it be possible to add a switch "no high-rise building" in the set?
Dwight_K._Schrute
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Dwight_K._Schrute »

colossal404 wrote:Did you turn off building roads for towns? If yes, it's the game's default mechanism, the city try to build new houses, but if there's no more space, the other choice is to build taller buildings, that is what the game do. I think that's not the city set's fault.
Yes, I turned that off. I don't want EVERY town to grown only because 3 buses a day pass through... If I allow the towns to build roads they will grow, too... so small villages are impossible again...

IMO PikkaBird's TaI Houses are a great approach. Every town has a restriction in its population. Some to 30.000, some to 15.000, some to 8.000 or to 3.000. High-rises are only allowed to build in the cities with the 30.000 and the 15.000-restriction. Problem is that one can't see which type of city a city is... And the graphics are not as beautiful as in the Swedish set....So:

"Dear Santa,

please bring me a PikkaBird's TaI-Set with Swedish graphics :)"
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

Dwight_K._Schrute wrote:
Yes, I turned that off. I don't want EVERY town to grown only because 3 buses a day pass through... If I allow the towns to build roads they will grow, too... so small villages are impossible again...

IMO PikkaBird's TaI Houses are a great approach. Every town has a restriction in its population. Some to 30.000, some to 15.000, some to 8.000 or to 3.000. High-rises are only allowed to build in the cities with the 30.000 and the 15.000-restriction. Problem is that one can't see which type of city a city is... And the graphics are not as beautiful as in the Swedish set....So:

"Dear Santa,

please bring me a PikkaBird's TaI-Set with Swedish graphics :)"
If you read the previous page of this thread you'll find that we have plans for different town types for the next major version. I have no idea when that will be however as there has much progress with the set lately.

I'm planning to release a new 1.1.1 version soon, but that will just include some small bugfixes and some updated graphics (EDIT: and support for action 14 too). I guess I could also modify probability of some buildings to partially fix the too many high buildings issue.
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Hello again after some time away from here.

I havn't been very active around here for a while since I have been busy with other stuff in life like a new job and so on. But I have not forgotten nor given this project up and I will continue on it when I feel like I have time. New graphics will come up soon enough! :]
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

It is great that the best town set will be even better!
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

SH 1.1
Attachments
Przechwytywanie.PNG
Przechwytywanie.PNG (15.03 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Kogut wrote:It is great that the best town set will be even better!
Oh you! :oops:
Kogut wrote:SH 1.1
Say whaaat? What's wrong with that tree?

Return to “Graphics Development”