Swedish Houses [Version 1.1 released 06/06/10]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Swedish Houses [Version 1.1 released 06/06/10]

Post by SwissFan91 »

Are you suggesting to remove the top two graphics and replace it with the lower one? That's not a great idea IMO. You can never really have too many graphics in a set, and I personally find the top two quite appealing.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

jake.grimshaw wrote:Are you suggesting to remove the top two graphics and replace it with the lower one? That's not a great idea IMO. You can never really have too many graphics in a set, and I personally find the top two quite appealing.
Oh no no you got it all wrong :P The two top ones are new ones drawn from my old town houses and the lower one which is currently in the set is planned to be replaced with something else, like the "landshövdingehus".
Swedish Houses Version 1.1 Released
Swedish Road Vehicles Work in Progress
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Hi!
I found a verrrrry little graphical glitch:
This building's windows are a little sloped to the further corner. Very little, only 1 pixel in the total lenght, but if I found any problem in any set I can't resist myself from reporting/fixing that :)
Sorry for disturbing for that little thing.
Attachments
Left: fixed, right: original
Left: fixed, right: original
dfgfx.png (10.53 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
Samli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Samli »

Hm...
I liking the original. So Irwe drawing is right at yours according to me.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Samli wrote:Hm...
I liking the original. So Irwe drawing is right at yours according to me.
It's not about whos drawing is best, it's about colossal404 pointing out some windows not being aligned properly with other windows. Look closely and you'll see that the windows on the left side - closest to the corner - needs to be lowered one pixel...
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Actually, in Irwe:s original sprite (the right one), each column of windows has a larger distance to the roof (3, 3.5, 4 px), more the further from the front corner they are. In the left sprite, colossal404 has corrected this.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

True! Didn't even spot that myself.... :tongue:
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Right that will be taken care of, thanks for the heads up!

My hotmail account seems to be hacked and I can't login to view my mails but I'll try to solve this as fast as I can. So I might be even more absent for a while again :roll:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Should you once make a version2 of this awesome house set, here's an idea which I'd like to explore or seen explored ;-)

currently towns all look more or less the same. If I see it correct, it should be possible to give towns a more unique feel which makes them more distinctive. There are at least two ways to this end:
- the first could be to abuse the building class.
- abuse the animation frames (of nearby houses)
- abuse somewhat the absolute tile coordinates

The advantage of this long road would be to end up with, say, industrial towns and commercially dominated towns as well as more rurally dominated ones.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Or add unique landmarks with only one for map property.
Or in part of towns (is it possible?) protect old hoses from replacement for new.
Or make part of towns having nothing more than cottages.
Or add (is it possible?) "killer" building stopping towngroth in that city (observatory? rubbish dump? Nuclear plant?)
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

planetmaker wrote:Should you once make a version2 of this awesome house set, here's an idea which I'd like to explore or seen explored

currently towns all look more or less the same. If I see it correct, it should be possible to give towns a more unique feel which makes them more distinctive. There are at least two ways to this end:
- the first could be to abuse the building class.
- abuse the animation frames (of nearby houses)
- abuse somewhat the absolute tile coordinates

The advantage of this long road would be to end up with, say, industrial towns and commercially dominated towns as well as more rurally dominated ones.
Yeah I'm defenitly working on a new version but it goes slowly at the moment. Your idea is interesting but yet again I'm not the guy working on the coding part but I like the idea. I think me and as have had ideas like this before and later when more houses are being drawn we could defenitly start talking about different towns like commercial, industrial or small towns only with cottages and other small buildings.
Kogut wrote:Or add unique landmarks with only one for map property.
Or in part of towns (is it possible?) protect old hoses from replacement for new.
Or make part of towns having nothing more than cottages.
Or add (is it possible?) "killer" building stopping towngroth in that city (observatory? rubbish dump? Nuclear plant?)
Landmarks are planned like Stockholm town hall and the Globe, and maybe a few more.
I think the old town houses already is protected from replacing if they never leave zone 4. So they only disappear if they leave zone 4 or if you destroy them yourself.
The idea with "killer" buildings is alright but I don't think it needs a building for stopping the town growth of a town, pikkabirds TaI houses has some kind of town growth limitation if I'm not misstaken. So if the idea of having different town types one type could be small town which never grown beyond a certain population.
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

Different town types are definitely interesting idea, and I have actually been thinking about them myself too recently as I am currently playing game with pikkas TaI set that has various different town styles.

I think that some town different town styles could be already done without making any new graphics. At least making some towns to preserve old buildings in center and others not like Kogut suggested. Other idea might be "suburban" town that would not get any high office buildings and might have some residential buildings even at zone 4. Town size limits could be used to add further variety, but I think that there should be option to turn the limits off as some players probably won't like them. I'll have to do some testing and see how these work out.

[quote=Irwe]I think the old town houses already is protected from replacing if they never leave zone 4. So they only disappear if they leave zone 4 or if you destroy them yourself.[/quote]
Actually they aren't, they just have long minimum life, it was and still is planned, but I never actually coded it.
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

as wrote:Different town types are definitely interesting idea, and I have actually been thinking about them myself too recently as I am currently playing game with pikkas TaI set that has various different town styles.

I think that some town different town styles could be already done without making any new graphics. At least making some towns to preserve old buildings in center and others not like Kogut suggested. Other idea might be "suburban" town that would not get any high office buildings and might have some residential buildings even at zone 4. Town size limits could be used to add further variety, but I think that there should be option to turn the limits off as some players probably won't like them. I'll have to do some testing and see how these work out
Great then! This is getting me exited to draw more. I'll try to finish my planned polish on the old town houses and then we could discus new buildings that would be needed to expand into different town types.
as wrote:Actually they aren't, they just have long minimum life, it was and still is planned, but I never actually coded it.
Oh I see then. Next version will probably have it :]
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

as wrote:I think that some town different town styles could be already done without making any new graphics. At least making some towns to preserve old buildings in center and others not like Kogut suggested. Other idea might be "suburban" town that would not get any high office buildings and might have some residential buildings even at zone 4.
This sounds like a very interesting idea!
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

as wrote:Other idea might be "suburban" town that would not get any high office buildings and might have some residential buildings even at zone 4.
AndersI wrote:This sounds like a very interesting idea!
It indeed does and I have an idea on what to have in zone 4 instead of tall office buildings in towns like that.
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Here is a preview of the houses I was talking about. These ones will act like the old town houses with diffrent variations and will have corners aswell. They are perfect for zone 3 and 4 in the small towns or just as good in larger towns.

Also, I'm having trouble coming up with nice things to add on the street. Now they look kind of dead and boring with just pavement, any suggestions?
Attachments
landshövdingehus.shops & flats.PNG
landshövdingehus.shops & flats.PNG (6.13 KiB) Viewed 5286 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Phone booths, benches, waste receptacles, mailboxes, things with flowers or other small foliage.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

A bit of grass, bushes?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Very nice houses!
Irwe wrote:Also, I'm having trouble coming up with nice things to add on the street. Now they look kind of dead and boring with just pavement, any suggestions?
In reality, the pavement *is* usually quite empty, except for people, bicycles, some small bushes, waste baskets, mailboxes, small lorries unloading at the store, etc.

Telephone booths are an endangered species in Sweden nowadays, but in the early years you could put in some of these:
Attachments
Image2.png
Image2.png (135.96 KiB) Viewed 5220 times

Return to “Graphics Development”