Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zplinter
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Post by Zplinter »

Really Amazing! Cant wait for you to release a test version!

I just keep waiting and waiting and looking in this thread too see your progress. Keep it up!
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Your work is exdrodinary! Only thing what poped on last shot is the yellow color lower right picture... it somehow pops out.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Not sure how I have missed this, but glad I spotted it browsing for some new stuff to try out. This looks fantastic, like an entire new western themed environment.

Really well done!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

ISA wrote:Your work is exdrodinary! Only thing what poped on last shot is the yellow color lower right picture... it somehow pops out.
Well... After looking at tons of photos, I would say it's closer to the real thing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... airie2.jpg

However, the biggest problem was that the old colors were too unsaturated, which made vehicles with company colors stand out in a very bad way.

However, the good news is that all tiles are now in the same .max-file, so it will be really easy to make major changes quickly. :)
SXX
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SXX »

Bad_Brett wrote:However, the good news is that all tiles are now in the same .max-file, so it will be really easy to make major changes quickly. :)
Hope this mean that eventually you may work on night version.
Sure with some lighting it's would be even little more awesome.

Keep up the good work!
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Bad_Brett wrote:
ISA wrote:Your work is exdrodinary! Only thing what poped on last shot is the yellow color lower right picture... it somehow pops out.
Well... After looking at tons of photos, I would say it's closer to the real thing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... airie2.jpg

However, the biggest problem was that the old colors were too unsaturated, which made vehicles with company colors stand out in a very bad way.

However, the good news is that all tiles are now in the same .max-file, so it will be really easy to make major changes quickly. :)
Out of curiosity, I have failed to create CC masks which would look nice. How do you handle company colours? I just render parts of objects, and then cut out ranges of brightness, and turn those to 8 8bpp company colours.

No matter what I try, with full range of 8 colours, it always looks TONS worse than renders without company colours.

How do you handle it?
ImageImageImage
cpy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cpy »

This 32bpp mod is filled with wild west atmosphere. It's not about how good your graphics are but how they make you feel. Sadly many game developers go for higher resolution yet they forget to make their graphics feel the scenery. You did it well. You can feel sunny warm weather from this. I'm waiting for the day i can play open ttd looking like this.
plnrmatt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by plnrmatt »

Hey Bad_Brett!
How about an update on how things are going with this awesome project? :mrgreen:
Cheers!
Zplinter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zplinter »

plnrmatt wrote:Hey Bad_Brett!
How about an update on how things are going with this awesome project? :mrgreen:
Cheers!
I agree! Its about time for a new post :) or even, a beta ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

"I invested neither effort nor money into this project. I DEMAND MY RIGHTFUL RESULTS!"
Zplinter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zplinter »

Eddi wrote:"I invested neither effort nor money into this project. I DEMAND MY RIGHTFUL RESULTS!"
exactly!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Wow. I guess I don't browse these forums frequently enough. A fellow Swede at that. Will be monitoring this, hoping for future updates!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
cpy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cpy »

So there is kickstarter for generic improved graphics for OTTD that didn't go well, maybe you should try it too? I bet you can get more :)
Zplinter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zplinter »

Been a good while sins we heard something. Hope he checks in soon! :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Better to contact the author directly than disturb a sleeping topic. If the author had anything meaningful to contribute, he'd have posted it before now.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I decided to clean this topic up. There is no need to be upset with an author just because he did not deliver what you expected from a project he launched and worked in on his spare time. Thank you! :)
My Scenarios:
Krutzelpuntz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Krutzelpuntz »

As I see it, I'd have no right to be irritated or impatient about the work of others that's done for free.
I could only be happy he made a honest attempt, and sad it didn't go well.
I don't know what challenges he has in his life, or if he is even still alive... :shock:
I'd have no right to demand a development update, and by doing so, it's more likely to discourage further development.

Yes, if someone donated, they may feel it makes it okay to make demands, but it even says "Buy me a beer" on the tin, which is unlikely to lead to further development ;)

I'll just end my rant saying, the work done here looks amazing, and I have been following this for some time, and would love if it was realized one day.
Aaand encourage more positive feedback, or none at all :wink:

Edit:
Chrill wrote:I decided to clean this topic up. There is no need to be upset with an author just because he did not deliver what you expected from a project he launched and worked in on his spare time. Thank you! :)
That's awkward...
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Admittly this is probably the 32 bit mod I looked forward to the most. Most due to it including a unique complete theme to it.

The author of this mod had over a year between updates before. Be patient is all I can say. ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Hi! I've unlocked this topic as per the author's request.
My Scenarios:
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Hey everyone! I have no idea how many of you remember me or this project. But anyway, here I am again.

This project actually really means a lot to me. In fact, the main reason why development took forever is because I was not satisfied with the results. I was also a great learning process so my approach was far from the best.

After failing to get a job after my degree in master of engineering, my girlfriend of 7 years left me for somebody else and I ended up in bad really dark place. I literaly had $100 worth of savings and lived with my parents. My computer was 10 years old and rendering things like grass or trees took many hours per sprite. To make things even worse, I had included my ex in this project so everytime I tried to work on it I was reminded of her.

One of the things that gave me strength to move on, was all the support I got from this community. It really meant a lot to me everytime I got an email with questions about how the project was going. At the same time I felt really bad, because know that some people were really excited about this mod and I felt that I let them down. And that I let myself down.

Then things slowly started to get better. I've actually been working with real railroad and road construction for 5 yesrs now. I've been focusing mostly on automation, 3D-visualization, VR, scripting and programming. My skill level has drastically improved and I finally feel like I have the ability to pull this off.

I've been working quietly for quite some time now, so big updates are coming soon.

Again, thanks for all the support. It has really meant a lot to me, on a personal level, more than you can imagine.

Thank you! :bow:

Return to “Graphics Development”