Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Post by Micheleromeo121 »

Looks interesting, :mrgreen: can't wait to try it out! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Don't mind me, I'm just a casual player looking for the best NewGRFs in order to build a magnificent railway
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

I wonder if it would be possible to add a dining car, that doesn't carry any passengers, but decreases the cargo age period for the other cars.

In that case, I could also use the caboose to increase reliability for freight trains or something like that...
Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

What if the caboose worked like the ones avaliable in timberwolf's train set? ( they "nullify" the railcars speed limit so that the locomotives can reach their maximum speed)

i don't know if there's a difference between a caboose and a brake van, but I guess they could work the same(?) :?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210905_225502.jpg
(257.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Don't mind me, I'm just a casual player looking for the best NewGRFs in order to build a magnificent railway
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Micheleromeo121 wrote: 05 Sep 2021 20:52 i don't know if there's a difference between a caboose and a brake van, but I guess they could work the same(?) :?
The difference between them is mostly that between British English and American English.

I like Timberwolf's implementation of brake vans in principle, but they are kind of problematic when using auto-replacement imo. Then again, Gold Rush is already going for far more micromanage-y detail than I like in my management games so my opinion is probably not all that relevant here.
Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

Don't worry, I accept your opinion.. In the end, who can't have one? :mrgreen:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Bad_Brett wrote: 05 Sep 2021 20:05 I wonder if it would be possible to add a dining car, that doesn't carry any passengers, but decreases the cargo age period for the other cars.
That mechanic doesn't work in any interesting way, I've tried it. Cargo aging rate is not a useful newgrf property, for various reasons.

Not generally posting to these forums any more, but I didn't want you to waste time learning the same lessons I learnt ;)

Iron Horse 2 decreases the running costs for other vehicles in the train (because income from beer and gin). The internet hates this solution, but you know, it works for me so eh.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

andythenorth wrote: 05 Sep 2021 22:12
Bad_Brett wrote: 05 Sep 2021 20:05 I wonder if it would be possible to add a dining car, that doesn't carry any passengers, but decreases the cargo age period for the other cars.
That mechanic doesn't work in any interesting way, I've tried it. Cargo aging rate is not a useful newgrf property, for various reasons.

Not generally posting to these forums any more, but I didn't want you to waste time learning the same lessons I learnt ;)

Iron Horse 2 decreases the running costs for other vehicles in the train (because income from beer and gin). The internet hates this solution, but you know, it works for me so eh.
First off, it's a pity that you don't post here as much any more. You've been a great inspiration and I've spent countless hours both playing with your sets and reading the nml:s. So I'm not surprised that you already tried out my idea... Though if I understand it correctly, you're still heavily involved in the nml development, which I'm really thankful for.

Anyway, interesting... Thank you for the heads-up. :) When you say it doesn't work in any interesting way, I guess you mean that the actual effect is barely noticable?

Decreasing running cost for other vehicles is actually a really brilliant idea which basically does the same thing as I wanted. I guess the only problem is that it would be just as effective on a short line, but maybe I could use "date_of_last_service" or something simular to get the effect I'm looking for. Any ideas? :)
Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

I don't really know honestly..

In the meanwhile, I searched for some cabooses if you still want to add them at least for an esthetical/historical purpose
Attachments
Maybe this one as an "early caboose" from 1859 to 1900
Maybe this one as an "early caboose" from 1859 to 1900
18402.jpg (93.38 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
And this one could work as a "late caboose" from 1900 to 1930/50?
And this one could work as a "late caboose" from 1900 to 1930/50?
16825.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

Hey Brett

To make the models of the various trains, what program do you use?

Since I like your models, I wanted to try to do something with my own hands, maybe I'll manage to make my first NewGRF
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Micheleromeo121 wrote: 07 Sep 2021 10:55 Hey Brett

Since I like your models, I wanted to try to do something with my own hands, maybe I'll manage to make my first NewGRF
I've been working with 3ds Max, because I've been using that software for ~20 years and also use it in my work. However, I've heard many people say that Blender actually is better in a lot of ways nowadays. Also, I believe that the NewGRF tutorials are for Blender.

You should definitely try it out. I gyess I could have used open source models that other people made, give them proper credit and be finished this project 10 years ago, but... Modelling is the most fun part. :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

I don't see what should be "bad" with cargo aging. In my train set it works correct, i.e. including a dining car or a sleeper gives a higher revenue for the whole train, regarding passengers.

O/c, only by including cargo aging for one train set wouldn't be much helpful in case other active grfs are concurrently working against it.

regards
Michael
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

andy is exaggerating (as usual). what he means is that it didn't quite do what he wanted it to do.
  • increasing the aging period (cargo ages slower) only has a meaningful effect on large and very large maps
  • reducing the aging period (cargo ages faster) has side effects, because the age gets capped out.
Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

Bad_Brett wrote: 08 Sep 2021 23:02
Micheleromeo121 wrote: 07 Sep 2021 10:55 Hey Brett

I've been working with 3ds Max, because I've been using that software for ~20 years and also use it in my work. However, I've heard many people say that Blender actually is better in a lot of ways nowadays. Also, I believe that the NewGRF tutorials are for Blender.

You should definitely try it out. I gyess I could have used open source models that other people made, give them proper credit and be finished this project 10 years ago, but... Modelling is the most fun part. :)

I started using blender some weeks ago, and I'm trying to make a 3d model of an Italian FS (State's Railways) 640 using the original projects

Maybe I'll make a NewGRF out of it in the future :D
Attachments
FS_gr.640-1-1024x804.jpg
FS_gr.640-1-1024x804.jpg (153.63 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
FS_gr.625-1-1024x791.jpg
FS_gr.625-1-1024x791.jpg (159.67 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Micheleromeo121 wrote: 09 Sep 2021 14:09 I started using blender some weeks ago, and I'm trying to make a 3d model of an Italian FS (State's Railways) 640 using the original projects

Maybe I'll make a NewGRF out of it in the future :D
Great! This is pretty much how I started... I wanted to contribute to OpenTTD, so I began creating graphics... Then I got hired as a 3D artist by a big company and worked with real railroads for 7 years. And then I suddenly felt "I want to focus more on OpenTTD", so I ...quit my job and began doing the stuff I really enjoy instead. :)
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

In that case, I could also use the caboose to increase reliability for freight trains or something like that...
The Southern Pacific steam era set has dining cars and tavern cars that do precisely that. According to the info under the cars in the purchase menu, they change the aging from four ticks (I think) to eight or sixteen (Again, I think).
Without Trains America Stops

Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Okay, so I need your help here... Some wheel arrangements, such as 2-8-0, were popular for a long time. However, a 2-8-0 from 1920 looked nothing like a 2-8-0 from 1870. So, how should I adress this?

1. Just let it affect the graphics, so that all 2-8-0 built after, let's say 1900, use different sprites
2. Let it affect the graphics AND properties, so that speed and power for certain models actually increase over time
3. Introduce "2-8-0 Consolidation 2.0". In that case, what should I call it? Should I use the same name and make the previous version obsolete?
4. Ignore this completely

For example, at the moment I introduce the 4-6-0 Camelback in 1879 and the 4-4-2 Atlantic in 1892. Both these are engines designed for passenger service. I felt like it would be a good idea to add freight engine in between, so I went with the 4-8-0 Twelve-Wheeler, a slightly better, but much more expensive, version of the 2-8-0 Consolidation. However, I realised that it looks like a much older engine than the 4-6-0 Camelback. The reason for this is that I've chosen the most iconic design for most engines.

Camelback (1879)
camelback1.png
camelback1.png (30.77 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Twelve-Wheeler(1882)
twelve-wheeler1.png
twelve-wheeler1.png (23.2 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
So, in this case, perhaps I should change the Camelback graphics to something like this:
camelback2.png
camelback2.png (31.8 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
However, I still like the the current design, so I still intend to use it in some way.

What do you think?
Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

I think you should ignore it for now, and maybe fix it later on :)

However, I really like this new camelback design you proposed.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

So, in case anybody is interested, here's the new 4-8-0 Twelve-Wheeler pulling some box cars. :)
twelve-wheeler.png
twelve-wheeler.png (182.83 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
It think the list of early engines are getting interesting:

0-4-0 Grasshopper (1830, General)
2-4-0 John Bull (1833, Passengers)
4-2-0 Norris (1838, Passengers)
0-8-0 Mud-Digger (1844, Freight)
4-4-0 Eight-Wheeler (1844, Passengers)
4-4-0 American (1855, Passengers)
2-6-0 Mogul (1864, Freight)
4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler (1868, General)
2-8-0 Consolidation (1874, Freight)
4-6-0 Camelback (1879, Passengers)
4-8-0 Twelve-Wheeler (1882, Freight)
4-4-2 Atlantic (1892, Passengers)
2-6-2 Prairie (1901, General)
4-6-2 Pacific (1910, Passengers)
2-8-2 Mikado (1918, Freight)

I'm also thinking about adding narrow gauge tracks with Shay engines, but I'm not sure how I could make them interesting enough for people to actually use them. Perhaps I could generate industries such as mines and forests in clusters and give the Shay engines insane acceleration and power, so that players would be encouraged to use them to collect ore and wood from several nearby stations and drop it off the "main" station. And perhaps I could make narrow gauge rail much cheaper to build on slopes. Ahh, this is exciting! :)
Micheleromeo121
Engineer
Engineer

I don't know, shay locomotives aren't really my type of train :? , but I think that they could be a cool addition :))
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Amazing work! Can't wait to see them moving!

Return to “Graphics Development”