Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Post by Hyronymus »

I'm glad you got out well and can't wait to witness the size of the big updates.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Thank you guys! Prepare for big updates and maaany stupid questions from me. 😁

One of the main issues I had ~8 years ago was that I wanted to draw narrow paths that connected the cities rather than wide city streets. And then I realised... I can use different road types now, and even make roads that only cities can build!

Now, I just have to get Eddis "more fine-grained vehicle movement patch" working with the latest release. 😊
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We're thrilled to have you. Opening up about your experiences makes you a stronger person. Reflect back, could you have spoken so openly a few years ago? Perhaps not, yet now here you are. That's beautiful, friend!
Bad_Brett wrote: 13 Aug 2020 16:11I've actually been working with real railroad and road construction for 5 yesrs now. I've been focusing mostly on automation, 3D-visualization, VR, scripting and programming. My skill level has drastically improved and I finally feel like I have the ability to pull this off.
It's really encouraging to see the number of people in these forums who grew up playing OpenTTD and similar games, and have now turned that into their careers. That's really awesome! What company do you work for? As a Swede, I might know em!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Chrill wrote: 13 Aug 2020 21:06 It's really encouraging to see the number of people in these forums who grew up playing OpenTTD and similar games, and have now turned that into their careers. That's really awesome! What company do you work for? As a Swede, I might know em!
My company is called WSP and the HQ is in Canada. :D I've been working mostly with the new Slussen bus terminal and the new subway lines.

I had the opportunity to attend Autodesk University last year i Las Vegas. I had never been there before, and I was thrilled to finally experience the deserts of Nevada, the golden hills of California and of course, the railroad museum in Sacramento.

Anyway, back to work. 😀
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I live in Barkarby. You better do a good job with the new subway lines, or I'll hold you personally responsible. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Chrill wrote: 14 Aug 2020 11:14 I live in Barkarby. You better do a good job with the new subway lines, or I'll hold you personally responsible. :mrgreen:
Hehe, Ramböll is in charge of that line so i'm innocent. 😇
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Sedham Transport, Feb 20th, 1950.png
(4.47 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I'm in the process of re-rendering everything I've done earlier with new render settings. One of the "criticism" I got was that my world looked "too grey". And you were right. I realised that company colors looked almost "cartoonish" when combined with my graphics. That's one of the things that I hated. I think I've redone my tiles ~10 times, but finally, I'm quite happy with the result. It might be a bit too yellowish right now, but I'm convinced that combined with green farms, plantations, river banks and trees, it's going to be some really nice maps.

This is just a small teaser. Bear in mind that the tiles aren't perfectly aligned. I also plan to release a different grf with grid lines (I know you want them). I hope that eventually you'll be able to turn them on/off, but in the meantime, you'll just have to choose. :)
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

:shock:

(welcome back!)
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

So much detail!
Welcome back!
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Missed you Brett! Good to see you're back. Looking forward to this more than I was before!
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

Wow, the colors are much more vibrant! Can't wait to see an official release!
Mac OS sucks.

......If Locomotion can't work on it......

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87176 : Let's Play Together! US Midwest!

Subscribe to meh YouTube --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaVMm ... JfXVMrYd2A?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Nice to see this is getting some attention and work again.

I heop that things work out for you buddy, and hopefully this time things will remain stable for you outside of the modding scene.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Thanks everyone! It really means a lot to me. :)

Right now I'm working hard with finishing the terrain. I'm also converting my old buildings and industries to the new rendering settings and nml 0.5 (There are some really cool features there that I can't wait to try out).

Also, with some great help from Quast65, I've now know enough nfo to create some nice Wild West style stations. :)
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Here's a small update:
Genston Transport, Jan 28th, 1981.png
(4.47 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Genston Transport, Jun 10th, 1986.png
(4.59 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Things are going much more smoothly this time around, which makes me really excited. Can't wait to add some trains.

Man, I've missed this. :D

I've been struggling with the water tiles for some time now. My idea was always to make them really dark blue, but I'm beginning to think that a lighter, more greenish color would actually fit better. What do you think?
watertest.jpg
watertest.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

Sea is ways better here. But at your sample there is no land. So I cannot say if colours fit better. The reflection on the water looks so natural!
Longer trails?
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

perverted monkey wrote: 31 Aug 2020 04:41 Sea is ways better here. But at your sample there is no land. So I cannot say if colours fit better. The reflection on the water looks so natural!
Longer trails?
You figured me out. I'm working on the coast tiles right now. ;)

Yeah, this time the ships are going to get much more decent particle effects. I just threw something in to test reflections and to see if OpenTTD actually would allow such a big bounding box, and to my surprise, it did. Obviously there'll be a few graphical glitches but I think that's a price I'm willing pay in this case since 32bpp water looks soo boring. :D
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

Can't wait to see the trains!
Mac OS sucks.

......If Locomotion can't work on it......

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87176 : Let's Play Together! US Midwest!

Subscribe to meh YouTube --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaVMm ... JfXVMrYd2A?
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

ISA wrote: 01 Sep 2020 13:22 Yay, welcome back Brett!
Thank you so much! :)

I'm almost done with the coast tiles now... As you can see, they don't align perfectly at the moment, but hopefully I'll fix that tomorrow. :)
Preview.png
Preview.png (350.61 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
What do you think? Is the new water color okay?

Full size version:
Genston Transport, Sep 25th, 1986.png
(1.97 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Graphics Development”