Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Unofficial desert tiles [32 bpp Extra zoom levels]

Post by Jupix »

Do you mean this image?
Bad_Brett wrote: Here's the tileset "in action":

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8926 ... odtown.jpg
It looks to me like the curved tracks there are just dummy tracks, they are in the same tile as the "primary" track. In regular graphics that space would be utilized by platform #2.

AFAIK Brett doesn't have any way around the fact you can't make real curves in TT, if you make curved tracks then diagonal tracks will snake. And locomotives/wagons will still "snap" 45 degrees instantly.
#################
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Yes, they are just dummy tracks and if too many people get confused I'll probably remove them. The reason I added them was obviously realism. It's not very common that every track has platforms on both sides. A possibility is to cover it with bushes to make it look abandoned. Or it could be used for dummy cars that indicates when goods is present at a station. This will require some coding though, so it will have to wait until someone gets interested in doing so or until I learn to do it myself. :)

Also, thanks everyone for your kind words!
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Please do leave them, I like them. What makes your graphics so special is exactly that kind of details.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Breorn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Breorn »

Your graphics looks much much better than in any other commercial game of this type. Wild West is a great idea too. I can´t wait for release. Very nice work. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Benjaminius
Engineer
Engineer

eye candy

Post by Benjaminius »

I have to agree, this "conversion" is just great, your skills are extraordinary. Non Commercial projects are often better than many high priced games, especially textures / details.

When do we get a first "Beta" :-) ?

You could definately sell this conversion in the end, but then it wont get that popular I guess.
If this will be free, you are the king ;-) ... of the desert tile :-)

Good luck with your project - Im looking forward to it!

- oh and programmers: please help this ambitious guy !
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: eye candy

Post by Bad_Brett »

Benjaminius wrote:I have to agree, this "conversion" is just great, your skills are extraordinary. Non Commercial projects are often better than many high priced games, especially textures / details.

When do we get a first "Beta" :-) ?

You could definately sell this conversion in the end, but then it wont get that popular I guess.
If this will be free, you are the king ;-) ... of the desert tile :-)

Good luck with your project - Im looking forward to it!

- oh and programmers: please help this ambitious guy !
I don't know, it depends I guess. Of course I could always reduce the number of buildings and trains and release an early "Beta"... I'm going to work hard on this project during the summer so we'll see.

Of course it will be free...

Coding help would of course be much appreciated, but right know they are working hard to finish the official 32 bpp conversion. But hopefully someone will assist me in the future.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words. If any of you have suggestions or wishes, feel free to post them here.
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

Jupix wrote:Here's the tileset "in action":

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8926 ... odtown.jpg
Wow, looks really amazing !!!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Wow, this looks awesome. I hope that you'll continue to work on this. I hope your going to make the 32bpp trains be a graphics replacement for NARS as NARS contains a good amount of 19th century locomotives and rail stock. Also you may want to make graphics for the eGRVTS Horse Carriages and early gas\steam trucks\trams. It would be nice if later on this could go into the 20th century or at least up till the 1950's
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

NekoMaster wrote:Wow, this looks awesome. I hope that you'll continue to work on this. I hope your going to make the 32bpp trains be a graphics replacement for NARS as NARS contains a good amount of 19th century locomotives and rail stock. Also you may want to make graphics for the eGRVTS Horse Carriages and early gas\steam trucks\trams. It would be nice if later on this could go into the 20th century or at least up till the 1950's
Thank you! Of course I will continue working, but I really need to learn some coding first, because just replacing the standard graphics (as I've done so far) is to limited. My hope is to make the world look more real (and depressing :) ) and not as "toyish" as the original TT.

My first thought was to make it run from 1830 to 1930 (As in Railroad Tycoon), but I guess it would be cool to make it run until 1950 so that you could include some early aircraft as well.

Actually, I even thought about adding horses (actually I've already modeled a horse) to some of the early steam locomotives, but I don't know if it's possible to animate them yet. It would look kinda silly if they just were frozen...

All suggestions are appreciated, it's great to see that people actually show interest in this project. My goal is to make the game change more over the years, so that you actually play the game and not only use it as a simulator after the 10 first years. New vehicles, new cargo, new industries, new town buildings etc. I'm very excited and I hope that I can present some new images soon.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The locomotives can be animated. You need some frames of the horse (4 or 8).

If You want to add a new house, You need a sprite with the building and a sprite of the ground. Also, some construction stages (max 3) are interesting. I can help You with the NFO code.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Have a look at eGRVTS, it has some horse carriages in it; maybe you can see how they are done there (what I do know is that they are indeed animated).
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

maquinista wrote:The locomotives can be animated. You need some frames of the horse (4 or 8).

If You want to add a new house, You need a sprite with the building and a sprite of the ground. Also, some construction stages (max 3) are interesting. I can help You with the NFO code.
That's great! Can you link the animation speed with the train speed? (For example, if you add moving pistons or spinning wheels to the locomotives)

I would be very happy if you could help me with the coding, because I'm not very good at it yet.

Talking about horses and animations... I have some questions:

1) If I make a ranch, is it possible to animate a layer of livestock (such as the oil wells). Are there any restrictions on how large the layers can be or how many frames they can contain?

2) Can the construction stages be animated as well?

3) Can the factories have any dimensions, or is 4x4 maximum?

Thank you!
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Bad_Brett wrote:That's great! Can you link the animation speed with the train speed? (For example, if you add moving pistons or spinning wheels to the locomotives)

I would be very happy if you could help me with the coding, because I'm not very good at it yet.
Yes, the locomotives are animated depending on the distance:
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... counter_46_

I remember that this was used in Spain set for steam locomotives.
Bad_Brett wrote:Talking about horses and animations... I have some questions:

1) If I make a ranch, is it possible to animate a layer of livestock (such as the oil wells). Are there any restrictions on how large the layers can be or how many frames they can contain?
2) Can the construction stages be animated as well?[/quote]Yes, but I don't know how to code it, but It mustn't be very difficult. Also, the maximum number of frames is 120.
Bad_Brett wrote:3) Can the factories have any dimensions, or is 4x4 maximum?

Thank you!
I don't know, but They can be bigger than 4×4. I think that It should allow at least 16×16.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
norbert79
Engineer
Engineer

Post by norbert79 »

Just out of curiosity: Any updates on this project?
Üdvözlettel / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards:
Norbert

Image Image
Image Image
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

norbert79 wrote:Just out of curiosity: Any updates on this project?
Coming soon! :)
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

I've begun modeling the ranch. Hopefully there will be livestock walking around there soon. :)
Attachments
Ranch3.jpg
Ranch3.jpg (49.4 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Bad_Brett wrote:I've begun modeling the ranch. Hopefully there will be livestock walking around there soon. :)
Very nice. I like it.
toooomas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toooomas »

This looks very great. Keep up the good work.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

In progress:

I'm not really satisfied with the animations yet though. The horses will be rather small, but some extra tweaking might be necessary.
ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ArmEagle »

Bad_Brett wrote:In progress:

I'm not really satisfied with the animations yet though. The horses will be rather small, but some extra tweaking might be necessary.
It is indeed not too bad when rescaling the image. But I guess there is indeed some improvement left. Don't horses walk where no two legs move together, but all four of them are 'offset by a quarter period'? And then perhaps the head could move a bit less/abrupt.

I really wonder how you're going to put a walking horse in the game though!

Return to “Graphics Development”