Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Glynbd
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Post by Glynbd »

Hey, Im new here but have had my eye on your work for some time.
This looks really promising, best of luck to you!

Can't wait to try it out.
Trainmarzo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trainmarzo »

Hi,

How is this coming along. Any updates? :bow:
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

if I were in your shoes I would just release some early version ...

Some years ago I was drawing trains - NUTS Unrealistic Train Set - after 8 months I had at least some sprites (not nearly for everything), but also started to get a bit exhausted, tired and a pinch of bored. People were asking about it, asking about the release date (for which they generally got answer "when it is done"), but the people could not discuss it much.
All that because they could not use it - they could not play with it - therefore they could also not give feedback, talk about it, and as a result "give it its own life".
After these 8 months I released the first version 0.0.1 to bananas saying "look I dont have much, a lot of it is scheduled for future releases, but this is what I got, what do you think?".
Suddenly people would be able to discuss things with me and be interested in the set. Some servers started to use it almost exclusively and I was able to do more testing, gather bugreports, and mainly - get more motivation to continue the set as I saw it being somewhat successful.

Nobody has any right to judge your work so even if it is incomplete, people will just (have to) appreciate the finished parts ... and perhaps that feedback is the energy necessary which would give you a new refreshing kick back to the development :) ...
Or perhaps you might get some people interested in helping you, perhaps someone might like to do some modelling, or even just sending a bit of money to your paypal, or who knows what else!

I think your project has potential but seeing there is no playable version after more than 4 years, well ... you know best :)

To be entirely honest, I personally do not care about this as likelihood of me playing is close to zero since I prefer working on my own newGRFs or doing something completely away from OpenTTD, but I felt like it might be helpful to share my experience. Making early releases (even if incomplete) is great and it helped me a massive amount with developing NUTS. [and other small newGRFs]

I can only recommend to do something similar if you perhaps search for some bump which would help you make this set progress more. :)

Wish you best of luck

V453000
ImageImageImage
plnrmatt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by plnrmatt »

Hey Bad_Brett, any chance you could give us an update on how development is going? Are U any closer to a release date? :)
Trainmarzo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trainmarzo »

Looking back at this thread makes me sad :cry:
cpy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cpy »

This awesome pack is dead. Well i guess if something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Just look how beautiful it looks!

http://badbrett.deviantart.com/gallery/

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/ ... 5cafc4.jpg
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 5cafih.jpg
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

H never promised that this was going to be a quickly finished project. It's probably not dead, but since his development is completely closed off with very few updates, we don't know what he's working on or where in the development cycle he is.
President
President

surely not, but 5 years of development is a bit long for a newGRF for anybody to still believe it is not dead :P
ImageImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Dunno. mb's working on a new version of DBXL for the same amount of time or even longer. And that's not dead.
I guess there are two types of developers. The "release early, release often" type that employs the user as beta-tester. And there's the "quality only" type that strive to only release a quality product of very high standard. Both DBXL and this set fall in the latter category. That doesn't mean it's dead, but it is however very difficult for the average Joe to see what's going on.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I actually prefer the release early, release often kind of thing, like what FIRS and HEQ's did in the early days. It's nice to be able to check out a mod once its coded enough to play and test, and its also fun to dig up any bugs or errors. I remember in the early days of FIRS where Garbage and Packaging would output at over 1,400 units with just one little shipment of input.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Sealbhach
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sealbhach »

It would just be a pity if all that beautiful work he did was left unused. Not having any communication is worrying, he did check in regularly in the past. Ah well, it might turn out that even though it looked beautiful it might be a pig to actually play. :P

Sealbhach
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sealbhach »

Bad Brett recently posted something non-OpenOCD related on his Youtube channel. In the comments he mentions he is still working on this mod. See the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky97_hqJ30c

it's quite weird and enjoyable and the song is very good too.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Hey, everyone! I'm sorry that there haven't been any updates lately, but I can assure you that I've been working a lot on the project. And I'm planning to make an early release, but there are still some things that needs to be done.

I've also upgrade my system, which was a big issue before.

I've spent so many days on this project, so I can guarantee you that it will be released - eventually. Hopefully sooner than later. :)

Oh, and feel free to check out the video as well. It may give you a hint on why I haven't been feeling very well this spring. The support here really means a lot to me.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

"Life is sometimes hard. Things go wrong, in life and in love and in business and in friendship and in health and in all other ways that life can go wrong. And when things get tough, this is what you should do. Make good art." ― Neil Gaiman
Cant agree more. Some resent things in my life are also letting me to make some "art" a bit more. Just to get out from real life for some time and then stand up again to continue to walk the bath! :)
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Working on a 8x8 industry right now :):
cottonpreview.jpg
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Hey! Good to see you back!

That farm/plantation looks really nice!
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

+1 !
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Looks a bit empty, maybe some workers on the fields would help?
President
President

Spoilt b****** ^

Looks nice so far :)
ImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”